Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a 16lb red spring off Albert Head this morning. Came over to the waterfront and watched a brand new Targa 37 land an obvious high 20’s spring and keep it. They left and went back into the harbour after I yelled at them to let it go.
It ticks me off to see that
I also saw that boat out fishing yesterday. Cut me off at one point, had to put my engine in neutral to avoid tangling gear!

I also saw that boat out fishing yesterday. Cut me off at one point, had to put my engine in neutral to avoid tangling gear!

He was out there again today. He waved to me. Didn't see any registration numbers on the boat...

So out again this am from about 6:30 to 9:30. There were about double the boats from yesterday. I got into a nice one within 20 min, but it spit the hook as the flasher came out of the water. About an hour later hit a small guy maybe 4#s released. That was it for me. Saw some other nets out, but not as many as yesterday. Still fun to be out there.

Constance was pretty dead today,had a couple of 3-5 lb. springs,released.I've never seen the bank this bad,the needlefish don't seem to be around anymore.Other years I would hook 10-20 springs in a day jigging,no more.

There was lots of 3“ herring tight in to Albert Head this morning. I couldn’t find a spring to bite though.

Did a 10:30-2:30 in front today, only had one decent hit about an hour into it, but that was it. I think I saw a couple of fish caught but pretty slow. Just enough tide coming in to leave a bunch of garbage in front of the green can and MacAuly point, so had to change the tack up a bit today.

Hit Constance bank yesterday with a buddy of mine. Got into two springs on the south end of the bank. Trolled around a bit more but the current didn't die off as much as we thought so up gear and over to pedder where we got into a small chinook and shakers. We up geared again and went around to church rock but didn't see anyone fighting fish. trolled back to race via whirl bay without a bite.

We saw bait and even what I thought was schools of coho but not not even a bite from wild coho..... maybe it was something I said that offended them hahaha

Put in the old college try today, started about 6:30 and went to 12:00

Around 7:30 while I was in front of the breakwater, I was watching another boat play a fish, then my rod went off, the excitmeant lasted about 10 seconds and it was a long line release. As I was making my turn to go back in front of the breakwater, the previous boat, who had landed his fish, had another fish on the other rod. Made a few more tacks in front of the breakwater with nothing going on, so I moved down to the green can and MacAuly point. About 10:30 had another nice hit, but again it didn’t stick. Around 11:00 I had another lunge at the rod, giddy up, this fish stuck, unfortunately she was about 84cm, back in she goes. rebaited and back at it, around 11:45, I finally found a keeper, feisty 68 cm pale pink/white wild spring. Looks like he survived an earlier attack, only to be netted and made to be somebodies dinner tonight.

all 4 hits on the same side, anchovies, 66’ on the rigger.

Attachments

• 749D1749-BE65-4FF2-A176-0887DA005F01.jpeg
    749D1749-BE65-4FF2-A176-0887DA005F01.jpeg
    747.8 KB · Views: 78
Another day and a beauty one at that. Short shift on the flats 10-12. Nothing going on. A dozen or so female dungies in the trap so no crab love either. Talked to another slip mate who stayed out longer and he was enjoying the boating aspect of fishing today as well.

Put in a long day yesterday at Albert Head. Lines down about 6:20, not a bite until about 10:30 when I got a shaker. Then 3 more small springs getting slightly bigger each time. 2 were legal but too small for me to keep. Finally got an ok size 55cm spring by 12:30 so decided to keep it and pack it in for the day. I wasn’t getting any action until I moved out to deeper water and dropped my gear to 80-90’ . I was using bait and spoons. Everything I caught was on spoons.

Started at around 6 today, I thought it would be busier after yesterday, but nope, it wasn’t.

It started with Roberth, as mentioned above, and then while he was playing his fish in the bay, I was just passed the green can buoy going to MacAuly, when Lemieux hit again (66’ on the rigger with anchovy), this time it was a pin popper and she was peeling line right off the get go. After another good fight and some struggles trying to net, because the wind had come up, she was on the boat, 79.5 cm. I look around and another boat has doubled up, and one more boat just got hooked up. it was a great bite, but everyone around the area had limited out, so not sure how long it lasted, but from 7:45-8:30 it was a good bite! 1 hit, 1 piece of bait, 1 fish It was a white and wild spring.

We’ll see what the wind does for tomorrow, hopefully it'll blow itself out.

Attachments

• 67774381-2D28-473E-915B-5F82785C12F5.jpeg
    67774381-2D28-473E-915B-5F82785C12F5.jpeg
    401.7 KB · Views: 83
  • F618A5E6-1E29-4819-89A0-5FD6F0E11D60.jpeg
    F618A5E6-1E29-4819-89A0-5FD6F0E11D60.jpeg
    518.5 KB · Views: 81
Started at around 6 today, I thought it would be busier after yesterday, but nope, it wasn’t.

It started with Roberth, as mentioned above, and then while he was playing his fish in the bay, I was just passed the green can buoy going to MacAuly, when Lemieux hit again (66’ on the rigger with anchovy), this time it was a pin popper and she was peeling line right off the get go. After another good fight and some struggles trying to net, because the wind had come up, she was on the boat, 79.5 cm. I look around and another boat has doubled up, and one more boat just got hooked up. it was a great bite, but everyone around the area had limited out, so not sure how long it lasted, but from 7:45-8:30 it was a good bite! 1 hit, 1 piece of bait, 1 fish It was a white and wild spring.

We’ll see what the wind does for tomorrow, hopefully it'll blow itself out.
It was fun wasn’t it. :)

On the water at 6:30. It looked like the SE winds would make the water bumpy out front so thought Albert Head or Pedder. Only made it AH. Down wind at the point, lines down 7:05, a 13lber, 76cm in the boat. Took the day off work and was finished before I even needed to be at work. Got choppy around 9ish and headed in. 2 wild cohos freed along the side of the boat.
Purple haze, AP tackle 45' on the DR. Looking forward to next week, when we can keep 2 and no slot size.image0(3).jpeg

Put in the old college try today, started about 6:30 and went to 12:00

Around 7:30 while I was in front of the breakwater, I was watching another boat play a fish, then my rod went off, the excitmeant lasted about 10 seconds and it was a long line release. As I was making my turn to go back in front of the breakwater, the previous boat, who had landed his fish, had another fish on the other rod. Made a few more tacks in front of the breakwater with nothing going on, so I moved down to the green can and MacAuly point. About 10:30 had another nice hit, but again it didn’t stick. Around 11:00 I had another lunge at the rod, giddy up, this fish stuck, unfortunately she was about 84cm, back in she goes. rebaited and back at it, around 11:45, I finally found a keeper, feisty 68 cm pale pink/white wild spring. Looks like he survived an earlier attack, only to be netted and made to be somebodies dinner tonight.

all 4 hits on the same side, anchovies, 66’ on the rigger.
Pale pink/ white= marble. Lucky! Those are yummy

Out again at first light, I thought it would be a bit busier because it was Saturday, but nope.
Managed to grab an early one around 7am, it was about 6-8lber, so I released it thinking I’d get a bigger one …………. So I played that waiting game and I did get a bigger one, only by a few cm’s, but I had to wait until 1:00 for my next bite. I saw a few other fish being caught, but not sure of the size do to the netting being in a position that I couldn’t see. Mine was 65cm, wild red Spring, 66’ on the rigger with bait. Both fish came on the same side and 66’ on the rigger.

Speaking of games, a couple of things happened today, first off, why do people motor into the group off Macaulay, and then to proceed to to set up, paying little or no attention to boats that are already in a tack or they have left another person in charge, who clearly doesn’t know how to drive and are cutting people off. How hard is it to set-up on the fringe and work your way into the group? Secondly why does a sailboat that is under power, try to split the fishing boats at Macaulay? Happened today with me, about a 35 footer tried going threw the group, I was maintaining my tack, then out of nowhere, tries cutting through and honestly misses the back of my boat by no more 6’. I am a calm guy, but I did have a few choice words for them today, I know they heard, because all 4 of them on the boat were only a few feet away.

Out again at first light, I thought it would be a bit busier because it was Saturday, but nope.
Managed to grab an early one around 7am, it was about 6-8lber, so I released it thinking I’d get a bigger one …………. So I played that waiting game and I did get a bigger one, only by a few cm’s, but I had to wait until 1:00 for my next bite. I saw a few other fish being caught, but not sure of the size do to the netting being in a position that I couldn’t see. Mine was 65cm, wild red Spring, 66’ on the rigger with bait. Both fish came on the same side and 66’ on the rigger.

Speaking of games, a couple of things happened today, first off, why do people motor into the group off Macaulay, and then to proceed to to set up, paying little or no attention to boats that are already in a tack or they have left another person in charge, who clearly doesn’t know how to drive and are cutting people off. How hard is it to set-up on the fringe and work your way into the group? Secondly why does a sailboat that is under power, try to split the fishing boats at Macaulay? Happened today with me, about a 35 footer tried going threw the group, I was maintaining my tack, then out of nowhere, tries cutting through and honestly misses the back of my boat by no more 6’. I am a calm guy, but I did have a few choice words for them today, I know they heard, because all 4 of them on the boat were only a few feet away.
Jerks like that are exactly why i keep a slingshot on board. Ice cubes leave no evidence

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back