Status
Not open for further replies.
Out again at first light, I thought it would be a bit busier because it was Saturday, but nope.
Managed to grab an early one around 7am, it was about 6-8lber, so I released it thinking I’d get a bigger one …………. So I played that waiting game and I did get a bigger one, only by a few cm’s, but I had to wait until 1:00 for my next bite. I saw a few other fish being caught, but not sure of the size do to the netting being in a position that I couldn’t see. Mine was 65cm, wild red Spring, 66’ on the rigger with bait. Both fish came on the same side and 66’ on the rigger.

Speaking of games, a couple of things happened today, first off, why do people motor into the group off Macaulay, and then to proceed to to set up, paying little or no attention to boats that are already in a tack or they have left another person in charge, who clearly doesn’t know how to drive and are cutting people off. How hard is it to set-up on the fringe and work your way into the group? Secondly why does a sailboat that is under power, try to split the fishing boats at Macaulay? Happened today with me, about a 35 footer tried going threw the group, I was maintaining my tack, then out of nowhere, tries cutting through and honestly misses the back of my boat by no more 6’. I am a calm guy, but I did have a few choice words for them today, I know they heard, because all 4 of them on the boat were only a few feet away.
Was it that same sailboat that’s been trolling out front recently?

Out again at first light, I thought it would be a bit busier because it was Saturday, but nope.
Managed to grab an early one around 7am, it was about 6-8lber, so I released it thinking I’d get a bigger one …………. So I played that waiting game and I did get a bigger one, only by a few cm’s, but I had to wait until 1:00 for my next bite. I saw a few other fish being caught, but not sure of the size do to the netting being in a position that I couldn’t see. Mine was 65cm, wild red Spring, 66’ on the rigger with bait. Both fish came on the same side and 66’ on the rigger.

Speaking of games, a couple of things happened today, first off, why do people motor into the group off Macaulay, and then to proceed to to set up, paying little or no attention to boats that are already in a tack or they have left another person in charge, who clearly doesn’t know how to drive and are cutting people off. How hard is it to set-up on the fringe and work your way into the group? Secondly why does a sailboat that is under power, try to split the fishing boats at Macaulay? Happened today with me, about a 35 footer tried going threw the group, I was maintaining my tack, then out of nowhere, tries cutting through and honestly misses the back of my boat by no more 6’. I am a calm guy, but I did have a few choice words for them today, I know they heard, because all 4 of them on the boat were only a few feet away.
That happen to me, the very same type of "who's chicken", but I was anchored off the mud hole and this 40 ft sailboat just missed my anchor ball. Can't honestly tell you how close because he was in full lean with sails and all, and full keel to boot. There was no one else around for miles yet they play this dangerous game. My Guess it's these angry Yacht Club day trippers. I totally feel for you, man.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just waiting to refuel and I’m done. Lines down at 830 trolled with the ebb off the flats and around Trial heading west. A few passes on the south side of Trial looking for something holding in the back eddy. Nada. Kept rolling west spotting birds galore rafting in front of Ross Bay so some passes were made right in front of the home turf.
Boom, boom port rod goes off. It made a few runs while I got myself organized for the stellar solo net job coming up. Kelp show!! No stellar net job! Third time was the charm!
Bonus round came on the starboard rod which had been brought to the surface but was floating on top with the boat idling in gear. Coho on! What a fluke! Brought a beauty wild chromer alongside for a gaff release.

Attachments

• 52EE41C0-D557-4A69-81AE-670124BDD93D.jpeg
    52EE41C0-D557-4A69-81AE-670124BDD93D.jpeg
    156.9 KB · Views: 207
  • E81E38A3-73B8-4826-B65A-66CF1D657D73.jpeg
    E81E38A3-73B8-4826-B65A-66CF1D657D73.jpeg
    143.5 KB · Views: 208
Back to the Victoria water front today and we started at 6 ended at 945. . There were about 35 boats out and people going all different directions so you had to watch were you were going at all times. 6 am to 8 only got shakers (5). At 8 got a nice big one but lost it at the back of the boat. From 830 to 945 we had 4 on and landed 3 but none were in the high teens. All three fished were wild and all three fish were white springs. We saw other boats with fish on and nets out so there was a bite on from 830 to 930. All the fish were caught at 65 ft on the DR and on bait.

Attachments

• Aug 28 VWF.jpg
    Aug 28 VWF.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 59
Waterfront this morning 9-1. About 30 minutes after putting the lines down we boat a nice chubby 74cm spring. 80' of water 65 on the downrigger. After about another hour we pick up 50cm spring same set up. Pink flasher, anchovies with a bloody nose teaser head. Both wild. Saw a lot of nets out. if I had to guess, everyone was killing it today.

Attachments

• 20220828_162936.jpg
    20220828_162936.jpg
    304.9 KB · Views: 65
Late post:
Took out a friend that popped into town before he was heading off to training camp, hit the water before the sun came up. We were rewarded within 5 minutes with a scrappy 10lber (Pale pink/white) Another pass over Macaulay and another fish, we released this 4lber. Another pass and another fish, unfortunately it was a short line release by the boat (7-8lb) and we made another pass and another hit, but it didn’t stick. Four passes, four 4 hits all within an hour and a bit. 3 at 66’ 1 at 53’ all on bait.

Then by the sounds out it, we left right around the major bite, but we had to go buy some herring, because Joe had never been halibut fishing, off to the Esquilmalt anglers to purchase some bait. Raced out to my halibut grounds and set up the anchor…..so I thought. We were drifting .3-.5 and we really shouldn‘t have been, but we fished for about 45 minutes when I said let’s pull up the anchor and reset over the spot. Right from the get go there was way too much strain on the boat pulling the anchor. Managed to set the anchor in the ball, and now i am retrieving it. But about 400’ into 700’ of rope, there was way too much weight and almost impossible to pull up. I have a danforth/fluke anchor, and what happened is we managed to trap a rope of another anchor between our fluke and the shank, which wouldn’t allow the flukes to dig into the mud. Needless to say that after retrieving our anchor, and then the other anchor and then resetting up, we lost over an hour of fishing time. We were on the anchor fishing for a couple of hours, managed a couple of bites (dogs) but no takers on the halibut. Joe had to be on the ice, so we headed back to the docks for 1pm.

here is the long shot: if you’ve lost an anchor, and can describe it, send me a message

I read lots of fish being caught, but when I talked to the DFO guy at 1:30, he said that we brought 1 of the 10 fish in that had been caught, out of 27 boats he had talked to.

Attachments

• 06BE8F6C-616C-4746-AADB-A48C6D23A96A.jpeg
    06BE8F6C-616C-4746-AADB-A48C6D23A96A.jpeg
    150.6 KB · Views: 129
Late post:
Took out a friend that popped into town before he was heading off to training camp, hit the water before the sun came up. We were rewarded within 5 minutes with a scrappy 10lber (Pale pink/white) Another pass over Macaulay and another fish, we released this 4lber. Another pass and another fish, unfortunately it was a short line release by the boat (7-8lb) and we made another pass and another hit, but it didn’t stick. Four passes, four 4 hits all within an hour and a bit. 3 at 66’ 1 at 53’ all on bait.

Then by the sounds out it, we left right around the major bite, but we had to go buy some herring, because Joe had never been halibut fishing, off to the Esquilmalt anglers to purchase some bait. Raced out to my halibut grounds and set up the anchor…..so I thought. We were drifting .3-.5 and we really shouldn‘t have been, but we fished for about 45 minutes when I said let’s pull up the anchor and reset over the spot. Right from the get go there was way too much strain on the boat pulling the anchor. Managed to set the anchor in the ball, and now i am retrieving it. But about 400’ into 700’ of rope, there was way too much weight and almost impossible to pull up. I have a danforth/fluke anchor, and what happened is we managed to trap a rope of another anchor between our fluke and the shank, which wouldn’t allow the flukes to dig into the mud. Needless to say that after retrieving our anchor, and then the other anchor and then resetting up, we lost over an hour of fishing time. We were on the anchor fishing for a couple of hours, managed a couple of bites (dogs) but no takers on the halibut. Joe had to be on the ice, so we headed back to the docks for 1pm.

here is the long shot: if you’ve lost an anchor, and can describe it, send me a message

I read lots of fish being caught, but when I talked to the DFO guy at 1:30, he said that we brought 1 of the 10 fish in that had been caught, out of 27 boats he had talked to.
Congrats on the fish. 4 bites in quick succession is good. .... also recently lost my hali anchor. Will PM you

Last edited:

I saw that sailboat cut near to you as well as I was a few boats behind. That guy on the sailboat came charging out right through all the boats there. If he wasn't such a D-bag and had altered slightly to just exit the harbour straight south he would have easily avoided all the boats near the green can.... poor seamanship and consideration by that guy.

I saw that sailboat cut near to you as well as I was a few boats behind. That guy on the sailboat came charging out right through all the boats there. If he wasn't such a D-bag and had altered slightly to just exit the harbour straight south he would have easily avoided all the boats near the green can.... poor seamanship and consideration by that guy.
Wait until it happens to you, then you can feel that panic feeling. Kind of when a bull Killer whale comes up right beside your boat.

There is a mentality that goes with sail boat mariners, they hate power boaters, its true I have met lots around here. Just as commercial fisherman dislike recreation fishermen.

There, I have said it....

Last edited by a moderator:
Just waiting to refuel and I’m done. Lines down at 830 trolled with the ebb off the flats and around Trial heading west. A few passes on the south side of Trial looking for something holding in the back eddy. Nada. Kept rolling west spotting birds galore rafting in front of Ross Bay so some passes were made right in front of the home turf.
Boom, boom port rod goes off. It made a few runs while I got myself organized for the stellar solo net job coming up. Kelp show!! No stellar net job! Third time was the charm!
Bonus round came on the starboard rod which had been brought to the surface but was floating on top with the boat idling in gear. Coho on! What a fluke! Brought a beauty wild chromer alongside for a gaff release.
Hey bent tip

If I was a betting guy I’d say your second picture was a sockeye

Nice fish

Fished the Vic water front from 6 to 1030. Landed a 13lb spring in the first 20 minutes and then it went dead. Never saw a net out on any boat all morning. There was a minor bite at first thing in the morning, fish was caught at 65 ft on the DR, on bait. There were about 15 boats out and it was really choppy (3ft) from 6 to 730 then calmed down for an hour and then the winds pick up again.

Attachments

• Sept 1 VWF.jpg
    Sept 1 VWF.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 26
Got halibut/salmon charters the next 2 days so I’ll be late to the springs. Good tide first thing. I’ll be on East Constance. Resilience on 16 if you want to call

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back