2022 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stinger hook: this is the one that usually finds a way to embed itself into one of my fingers as I am trying to get the other one that is stuck in the fishes mouth out.

That is a good idea. The holes in my fingers prove that it is not needed.

I still have no feeling in my left thumb joint from a stinger hook that went right through the center of my thumb joint and out the other side while attached to a 15 lb fish that was not happy. Before I frown upon stinger hooks on our boats, now it's not allowed. Finally I have an excuse to rule them out lol

This is general info that some seem to not know about in regards to fishing at the middle and south arm when a pod goes through. No DFO bashing please or admin will nuke it.

A refresher on what to do when the Orca's come through where you are fishing:

Avoiding whales​

To address vessel disturbance of killer whales, a mandatory vessel approach distance of never closer than 400m for all killer whales, as per the Interim Order enacted under the Canada Shipping Act, will remain in effect until May 31, 2023 in southern BC coastal waters between Campbell River and just north of Ucluelet.

The Marine Mammal Regulations remain in effect year-round. This requires staying:

• 200 metres away from all killer whales in Canadian Pacific waters other than those described above
  • 200 metres away from all whales, porpoises and dolphins when in resting position or with a calf
  • 100 metres for other whales, porpoises and dolphins

Boating around whales​

When out on the water, there are additional actions you can take voluntarily to protect killer whales, as well as other marine mammals:

• Stop fishing (do not haul gear) within 1000m of killer whales
  • Reduce speed to less than 7 knots when within 1000m of the nearest whale
  • When safe to do so, turn off echo sounders and fish finders
  • Place engine in neutral idle and allow animals to pass if your vessel is not in compliance with the approach distance regulations

Last edited:
I can second that
I was behind them for awhile...the two guys were pulling in their lines with what looked like a bunch of small flashers attached (not rods) and releasing all the fish...stopped counting at like100. All smaller so not sure if thats why they were being released. Left a trail of half dead fish behind them...

CANADIAN FRASER RIVER PANEL AREA WATERS
Area 29: Portions of Subareas 29-3, 4, 6 and 10 (seaward of the 45 meter depth contour): Open to Area B purse seine ITQ fishery from 6:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. daily from Wednesday, September 7, 2022 until further notice (Please refer to DFO Fishery Notice for further details).
Subareas 29-1 to 6: Open to Area H troll ITQ fishery from 12:01 a.m. Wednesday, September 7, 2022 until further notice (Please refer to DFO Fishery Notice for further details).

Area 29: Portions of Subareas 29-3, 4, 6 and 10 (seaward of the 45 meter depth contour): Open to Area B purse seine ITQ fishery from 6:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. daily from Wednesday, September 7, 2022 until further notice (Please refer to DFO Fishery Notice for further details).
Subareas 29-1 to 6: Open to Area H troll ITQ fishery from 12:01 a.m. Wednesday, September 7, 2022 until further notice (Please refer to DFO Fishery Notice for further details).
There goes the neighbourhood.
No DFO notice for this yet.

Last edited:
Well looks like I’ll miss all the fun yet again. Gonna give it a whirl on Saturday and maybe Sunday

Thats disgusting!

I was just thinking to myself how much extra fun it would be for a fleet of commercial trollers to join the sh*tshow at sandheads :)

On a positive note, this could lead to a rec sockeye opening??? or is that too far-fetched at this point?

I was just thinking to myself how much extra fun it would be for a fleet of commercial trollers to join the sh*tshow at sandheads :)

On a positive note, this could lead to a rec sockeye opening??? or is that too far-fetched at this point?
We are talking Sockeye right?

I think this happens every year...they open it for the Commercial guys, they mop up the floor for reds, then we all head back once the whites pile in. I saw a few trollers lurking about way out yesterday so here we go....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back