2022 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a day - I love sending my son back-to-school with some stories to tell. We had to stop fishing when the net snapped from landing our big one. Trolled mostly away from the pack between Sandheads and T10 8am-1pm. 9 fish to the boat, kept a 35lb female, 2x27lb males (all white), a 14lb red and an 8lb clipped coho. Caught them from 40-90' trolling in 70-250' of water. Caught them all on spoons & hoochies of assorted colors and varieties. Boat's a bloody mess....so is my aching back. Loved the Orca show this morning & we were surrounded by dolphins this afternoon. I think we scared some tourists when we went for lunch at Steveston, looking like we had just participated in the Texas Chainsaw massacre and smelling like....well, like bloody fish!

View attachment 84708View attachment 84709

Let’s see the 35lber! What we’re the length x girth measurements??

What a day - I love sending my son back-to-school with some stories to tell. We had to stop fishing when the net snapped from landing our big one. Trolled mostly away from the pack between Sandheads and T10 8am-1pm. 9 fish to the boat, kept a 35lb female, 2x27lb males (all white), a 14lb red and an 8lb clipped coho. Caught them from 40-90' trolling in 70-250' of water. Caught them all on spoons & hoochies of assorted colors and varieties. Boat's a bloody mess....so is my aching back. Loved the Orca show this morning & we were surrounded by dolphins this afternoon. I think we scared some tourists when we went for lunch at Steveston, looking like we had just participated in the Texas Chainsaw massacre and smelling like....well, like bloody fish!

View attachment 84708
That’s quite the memory for your son, great story. I might try trolling from Sand Heads all the way to T10, as you were only going in the one direction but still filled the cooler.

Be prepared for the net lifting technique suggestions.

That’s quite the memory for your son, great story. I might try trolling from Sand Heads all the way to T10, as you were only going in the one direction but still filled the cooler.

Be prepared for the net lifting technique suggestions.
Should I be the one?
1. Basket mesh held back onto handle...not just dangling in the water. Many fish can be lost from unpredictable fish darting into outside mesh and hooks catch and pull and bye bye fish.
2. Patience make the move head first only. Scoop and release the mesh while doing this.
3. When fish Is in the basket. Point the handle straight up in air. Then lift the basket in a vertical fashion. This will take the strain away and will not cause the net to break.

Other tips. I bring 2 nets every trip. Either backup or for those double triple or the rare quad header. But atleast that way you have a back up net. Spare of everything on the water is a good rule especially when it comes to safety or all the effort to have a trip cut short because you forgot or broke or misplaced a crucial item.
Check the mesh for holes.
Make sure the net is clipped in handle to basket. I watched a guy net a spring at sandheads last year. Scoop fish in then basket fell right off into water. Bye bye fish. Bye to the net. It was actually funny to watch. Probably not so much for him.
Once the fish is in basket let some line off the rod before the old heave ho.
I actually watched a Newby have his fish netted then heman lift his fish in the air out of the net and hooks popped out and splash back into the drink. To funny. You would think it is common sense but a tutorial might be a good idea to newbies.
Make sure your net has a secure storage area while running and a nice home while fishing for quick access.

Good luck keep up the reports!

That sure is a great story lol! ;) :p
Maybe more of a fisherman's tale.

Last edited:

Awesome story and great memories for the kid! Did you get a pic of the 35lbr?

first off I have to say you guys have one hell of a fishery available! Being a yankee down south we get less than a fraction of the opportunity available up here. Last year we took advantage of the Canadian opportunities being close with a cabin at pt bob and did our first trip to the sandheads area. We were able to land one mid teens “spring” as you guys call them and had a couple other opportunities at some others over 2 days.
Well after hitting the Washington area 7 opener this year and again 2 weeks ago seeing the amount of chinook in the area I knew this September opener in Canada was gonna be a good one. Reading posts of the first couple of days opener at sandheads and t10 confirmed that. We got up to sandheads early Sunday morning with only about a dozen other boats? I got a little scared that either the bite cooled off or whales had scattered fish. After about 30 minutes of trolling and getting gear dialed in it was game on. Non stop action for 2 hours, one bigger fish lost due to me trying to horse him to the net but we had our 4 fish by 1030 and done. All on spoons at 50-60 ft of water. Biggest one was just shy of 20, Smaller ones were low teens and one 8-10. 3 marbled(I think you guys are calling them that when they have red and white?) and one white. We weren’t being too picky I was just happy and thankful to keep 4 chinook between 2 people. Ran up again yesterday but got a late start with bringing the whole family this time- lines were in the water by 1030 and we had our first fish in the box at 1045. Second one came about 20 minutes later, then it went completely dead with anything keeper worthy after that until we had to go back south for the family at 130. Both were caught in that 50-60 ft range with spoons again. Low teens for both of them and both marbled. Speed seemed to be right in the 1.8-2 mph range. Wish we could hit this fishery everyday, was some of the best fishing I have ever had. Feel free to pm me if anyone wants info on fishing/crabbing in the states, it is about a 30-45 min run from the sandheads to the west side of pt bob and when it is open it can be really good. I appreciate anyone that has helped me out in here the last couple of years so I feel I need to return the favor.

Attachments

• 900F72D5-DE62-435B-9EAC-10F919F561A1.jpeg
    900F72D5-DE62-435B-9EAC-10F919F561A1.jpeg
    273.5 KB · Views: 153
  • 5AFAD6C7-1A55-4B46-84D6-EE1F57EC70C5.jpeg
    5AFAD6C7-1A55-4B46-84D6-EE1F57EC70C5.jpeg
    179.4 KB · Views: 171
  • D23130E0-DA40-4376-A326-8E341C476FE9.jpeg
    D23130E0-DA40-4376-A326-8E341C476FE9.jpeg
    280.2 KB · Views: 168
  • 29BE70A8-AF74-439E-8BA0-865D14BD2987.png
    29BE70A8-AF74-439E-8BA0-865D14BD2987.png
    568.8 KB · Views: 168
All these big fish are destroying hooks!
Are you keeping your drag a bit tighter because of all the boat traffic around you? I think that is why I have been bending so many hooks this year, I am using a tighter drag so a following boat in the parade does not run over my fish as I play it. I still enjoy every minute of it though.

Are you keeping your drag a bit tighter because of all the boat traffic around you? I think that is why I have been bending so many hooks this year, I am using a tighter drag so a following boat in the parade does not run over my fish as I play it. I still enjoy every minute of it though.
Yes our drag has been tight. 1 fish broke off the other day because of this. In the heat of the moment its tricky to get that drag just right.

Yes our drag has been tight. 1 fish broke off the other day because of this. In the heat of the moment its tricky to get that drag just right.
pinpoint sharp hooks help keep the fish on, but luckily some following boats are really good about giving some space or altering their course slightly, others are not mindful or not watching.

first off I have to say you guys have one hell of a fishery available! Being a yankee down south we get less than a fraction of the opportunity available up here. Last year we took advantage of the Canadian opportunities being close with a cabin at pt bob and did our first trip to the sandheads area. We were able to land one mid teens “spring” as you guys call them and had a couple other opportunities at some others over 2 days.
Well after hitting the Washington area 7 opener this year and again 2 weeks ago seeing the amount of chinook in the area I knew this September opener in Canada was gonna be a good one. Reading posts of the first couple of days opener at sandheads and t10 confirmed that. We got up to sandheads early Sunday morning with only about a dozen other boats? I got a little scared that either the bite cooled off or whales had scattered fish. After about 30 minutes of trolling and getting gear dialed in it was game on. Non stop action for 2 hours, one bigger fish lost due to me trying to horse him to the net but we had our 4 fish by 1030 and done. All on spoons at 50-60 ft of water. Biggest one was just shy of 20, Smaller ones were low teens and one 8-10. 3 marbled(I think you guys are calling them that when they have red and white?) and one white. We weren’t being too picky I was just happy and thankful to keep 4 chinook between 2 people. Ran up again yesterday but got a late start with bringing the whole family this time- lines were in the water by 1030 and we had our first fish in the box at 1045. Second one came about 20 minutes later, then it went completely dead with anything keeper worthy after that until we had to go back south for the family at 130. Both were caught in that 50-60 ft range with spoons again. Low teens for both of them and both marbled. Speed seemed to be right in the 1.8-2 mph range. Wish we could hit this fishery everyday, was some of the best fishing I have ever had. Feel free to pm me if anyone wants info on fishing/crabbing in the states, it is about a 30-45 min run from the sandheads to the west side of pt bob and when it is open it can be really good. I appreciate anyone that has helped me out in here the last couple of years so I feel I need to return the favor.
I fish out of point roberts these days. July August and September. October to June out of mosquito creek. Point Robert is an awesome starting point. The crab however can get overfished fast. Definitely not worth the run for crab. Most the fishing boat are on A B C dock. I'll look out for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back