2022 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you stay at either sandheads or T10 and you start to take on water, you can just grab onto the boat next to you. I can't believe guys are fishing in those ridiculous packs. I had about 5 boats near me first thing thing this morning. Hadn't seen anyone near that spot earlier in the week. I trolled away from them and kept catching fish. As it turns out, there's a body of water between the two spots and the fish aren't magically travelleling between them, they're just swimming. Crazy, I know.
Shhh! I didn’t have a boat within a mile of me except when you trolled by me and had steady action all morning

Lol nice I hate rush hour too but do u guys think my boat is too small to make it from McDonald beach out there waves swells current etc hoping to try and get a fish but if boat is too small won’t bother
I personally wouldn't try it. But I don't makes that run out to know it that well. Good luck if you do attempt it. The fishing is outstanding.

Had two actually break the hook on my westcoast tackle spoons this summer at Ukee, and I run a light drag as I only run 25# test line on my reels. 1 broke the hook shaft just next to the eye and one eye must have opened or broke open and it was hookless when it cam to surface.
Had the same experience with a west coast tackle spoon (salish series) with a bigger spring off Nanaimo. The hook broke right on the bend. I've been meaning to contact west coast spoons to let them know - other then the hooks they seem like great quality much more durable than a Gibbs spoon

Lol nice I hate rush hour too but do u guys think my boat is too small to make it from McDonald beach out there waves swells current etc hoping to try and get a fish but if boat is too small won’t bother
I personally think it’s too small

You would have to be very careful and know weather and tides. The river mouth can be dicey. I see guys out there in small stuff. So it can be done. I personally would probably pass on the idea.

So did anyone else notice the terrible hook sets today? I've never lost so many fish in a day. I had an absolute freight train pop the clip and bend the rod down and start peeling line. Never seen that in my life. No shaking or bobbing, just straight bend down to the water and peeeeeeeeeling! Fought the fish for a few minutes, had him under control. Even backed off the drag a bit for the final run to the net. I felt no tug or slack and then gone. Multiple times we had big hits and within a few seconds, pop. We even tied tandem trebles and longer stingers. Nothing helped. Did the rain make them less eager to feed? I just don't get it.

So did anyone else notice the terrible hook sets today? I've never lost so many fish in a day. I had an absolute freight train pop the clip and bend the rod down and start peeling line. Never seen that in my life. No shaking or bobbing, just straight bend down to the water and peeeeeeeeeling! Fought the fish for a few minutes, had him under control. Even backed off the drag a bit for the final run to the net. I felt no tug or slack and then gone. Multiple times we had big hits and within a few seconds, pop. We even tied tandem trebles and longer stingers. Nothing helped. Did the rain make them less eager to feed? I just don't get it.
Get rid of those stinger hooks

I think Jeff started using VNC hooks, you may have some older models.

Nevertheless, I always remove the stock hooks and replace with barbless hooks from a reputable brand.
Yah these were new this summer.
Had the same experience with a west coast tackle spoon (salish series) with a bigger spring off Nanaimo. The hook broke right on the bend. I've been meaning to contact west coast spoons to let them know - other then the hooks they seem like great quality much more durable than a Gibbs spoon
I’m not overly impressed. Had the sticker with the scale texture peel off on one after about the first 1/2 hour in the water then the next time it came up the eye sticker was gone. But they did produce a few fish for me so there is that.

If you stay at either sandheads or T10 and you start to take on water, you can just grab onto the boat next to you. I can't believe guys are fishing in those ridiculous packs. I had about 5 boats near me first thing thing this morning. Hadn't seen anyone near that spot earlier in the week. I trolled away from them and kept catching fish. As it turns out, there's a body of water between the two spots and the fish aren't magically traveling between them, they're just swimming. Crazy, I know.
But the fishing magician said we're supposed to follow the Grady Whites?

So… new guy here just got 14ft aluminum prince craft was wondering if I’d be ok to launch at McDonald beach and head out to fish out there ie sand heads or t-10 etc or too dangerous in that small of boat thanks guys
On a light wind day. I used to take a 14 ft Greggor out with a 25 hp on it. Currents can get crazy. Combined with winds you could get into trouble real fast in a small boat if weather took a turn for the worst. If you don't have experience of being out there. I would use alot of caution or say don't go.
I might suggest a better idea for you. Launch at Vanier. Go fish the mile markers and bell of point Grey. Or the cap mouth to start. I would avoid going out anything over 5 to 10 knot wind in the smaller boat. I also used to fish the tsawassen coal docs in the 14 ft boat. But I think that area might be closed now? Was great go launch at causeway drop traps start trolling over just don't get run over by ferry boat. But again I think it is closed over there unless someone ca say different.

Last edited:
Did the run across from Ladysmith again today. Lines in at 6:30 at sand heads. Trolled for 2 hrs with no luck, had enough of fishing in the pack , so moved north and immediately caught one around 12 lbs. the next hour and a half was non stop. Boated 4, lost 1 decent 1, released a beauty wild coho that was pushing 10 lbs. All fish at 51 ft on anchovies Beauty day on the water. Better crossing back today than Saturday. It sure is a lot nicer fishing away from the crowd. Great day, great weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back