2022 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like many of the other guys on here, I haven't posted for awhile, due to not fishing. However, yesterday i was able to convince my 15yo son to go out there with me. My 20yo nephew decided that he wanted to go as well, so picked him up on the way to the ramp at MacDonald Beach. Spoke to some guys at the ramp who were leaving with their limits at 9am who said it was bonkers out there at Sand Heads. I decided to pass the mini-fleet at T10 to head right to Sand Heads. Dropped in and started the kicker and quickly realised that the fricken throttle cable was frozen! Oh well; run the main the whole day, I guess. First fish was just a hair under the limit, second fish was a hog that my son played and lost at the boat. Next fish was a nice red hen at 92cm. and she went in the box. Got another similar sized fish that my son knocked off with the net! Rookie! It went dead for us after that, so we went back to T-10 and my son picked up a nice 19lb-er,as I showed him how to net. Went home with a nice red hen and the 19 was a male white. All fish on meat, at 90 ft and 70 ft on the wire. On the way back in, I took the boys to Wreck Beach and let them jump in for a nice swim before heading out to the ramp. Fun first day!

Very fishable but had to work for a single strike. Orcas must have moped the scene up or I'm an incompetent fisher. Equal probability.

Hey all, hoping to make a trip to sandheads from Sidney and hoping some of you could offer up some advice on what’s working and where to fish. I’ve run over plenty of times and fished for sockeye before but never tried fishing springs there. Any advice much appreciated! Send by PM if you don’t want to let your secrets out in public hahaha. Thanks!!

Hey all, hoping to make a trip to sandheads from Sidney and hoping some of you could offer up some advice on what’s working and where to fish. I’ve run over plenty of times and fished for sockeye before but never tried fishing springs there. Any advice much appreciated! Send by PM if you don’t want to let your secrets out in public hahaha. Thanks!!
Go back 4 pages and read up until your post. Good luck!

My god, thanks for letting my live vicariously through you guys as I try to grind out a single colored up spring in the freshwater (little Shu). May have to buzz out from Kamloops for a night on the boat and 2 day fish. What's the best source for wind forecast? Steveston launch still a decent place to get in if coming from the east (23' boat)? It's been far too long since I've fished out there...

Thanks to A-a-ron for the great day on the water. We got 1 spring at T10 on a Peetz herring spoon.
Released a nice sockeye and a few undersize springs. We fished down ro 29-4. Some debris in the gear.
Pretty quiet day all in
Thanks to A-a-ron for the great day on the water. We got 1 spring at T10 on a Peetz herring spoon.
Released a nice sockeye and a few undersize springs. We fished down ro 29-4. Some debris in the gear.
Pretty quiet day all in all.
‘twas definitely more of a grind than Friday but I’ll take a 13lb any day

Easy limits for us this morning, home already and prepping for the smoke. It's that time of year that our neighbour's keep their windows closed.

All 65' on my go to Pesca 3.5" spoons, wish they still sold those. No flasher and trolling 3mph.

Was a bit bumpy enroute but lightened up closer to Sandheads. Much easier trip back to the marina.

Could not keep both rods in the water.

Have fun and be safe out there. Wear your life jacket.
I bought a whack of those spoons from my local shop not sure if they have more

Got ours today at sandheads but it required a little more trying than Thursday. Didn’t get any deeper than 47. Chovie was the preferred offering.

Losing a lot of stingers/fish! Anyone running 40lbs leaders?
Yep. 40lb test all day. Let’s face it- hooks and stuff are no longer cheap. Gas is not cheap either. Some of these fish are slamming the bait hard-it’s rare to see them hit so hard even the teaser head is in their jaws. Go 40 and don’t look back.

Yep. 40lb test all day. Let’s face it- hooks and stuff are no longer cheap. Gas is not cheap either. Some of these fish are slamming the bait hard-it’s rare to see them hit so hard even the teaser head is in their jaws. Go 40 and don’t look back.
X2. Only 40 this time of year. They're swallowing the herring regardless.

Fished Sandheads today. Been tough reading the reports the last couple of days. We had lines in by 830. Fishing was steady until around 1130. Managed to box 3 mid teens in that time. Had one break off on the rigger cable as well. Found the fish didn't want to run. Been hanging out with the Sockeye to long. They would get to the boat easy and then head shake. No time to get the cable up. Got our other 3 between 1130 and 230 but didn't really see any other action. All the fish were on Chovies. Hot depth was 47. Medium Herring didn't get any love today.

Ummmmm...whats the official definition of a skunk? Asking for a friend haha...dropped in south of t10 around 230 and slogged it out. First hit at 4 boom nice 15 or so didn't do much until he wound himself around the other side dr braid, thanks pal, snap and gone. Kept my flasher tho.

Then an under and nothing until 650 pm, boom and it's off and running. To the boat, run to the boat, run...then whiskers shows up. Kept that entire gear somehow and called it.

Bit choppy no big deal. See ya all again Monday.

Put in a full day at T10. Lines in 8:30 - 5:00. Boxed 6, lost a couple keepers, and released half a dozen unders. Depths from 27’ - 71’. Chovies, small and medium herring all worked. Breezy, but all in all a great day.

Attachments

• A7344C3C-31CE-4DF7-9336-053752E7733E.jpeg
    A7344C3C-31CE-4DF7-9336-053752E7733E.jpeg
    274.9 KB · Views: 230
Ummmmm...whats the official definition of a skunk? Asking for a friend haha...dropped in south of t10 around 230 and slogged it out. First hit at 4 boom nice 15 or so didn't do much until he wound himself around the other side dr braid, thanks pal, snap and gone. Kept my flasher tho.

Then an under and nothing until 650 pm, boom and it's off and running. To the boat, run to the boat, run...then whiskers shows up. Kept that entire gear somehow and called it.

I’ll see you Monday, amigo!

Made our 4 person limit ( brought grandson for 2 extra fish - hey it counts!) - took ALL day at Sandheads. Was a damn hard day fishing , very bumpy, weekend warriors cutting us off, just a rough day. Couple of nice fat does for Al's sturgeon sporting , Cured roe right away in sugar, salt & pink borax for him. Chartreuse flashers and anchovy heads won the day., Long slow dead periods today, probably due to high currents, wind and waves; making it really hard to get the right downrigger angle - was plain tough - tough driving and hard fishing. We all feel wore right out. Glad to be home, hard time backing the boat in, tired and stupid. Processing fish tomorrow, put ours back on ice for tonight. right after lining them up for a picture and dividing them up. Hope wasn't as rough a go of it today for everyone else, as it was for us older 60+ folks.

Attachments

• PXL_20220901_155203763.jpg
    PXL_20220901_155203763.jpg
    401 KB · Views: 243
  • Roe-sept3.jpg
    Roe-sept3.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 237
  • Sept3rd-hardday.jpg
    Sept3rd-hardday.jpg
    396.6 KB · Views: 239

Good on you for the honest report. Sounds like a lot of guys were having a tougher time out there today. Seemed like everyone was a hero Thursday and Friday. A lot of tight lips today! Lol.
See you guys out there Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back