2022 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh these regs - so fun. As I'm sure most fishers here know, the FishingBC app loads the latest DFO updates when you launch the app. I just opened it at 6:30pm tonight. You obviously must select the correct regulations area, and look in the proper sub area regulation descriptions. Areas 29-3, 29-4, 29-5, and 29-8 (see map) clearly show a chinook slot limit of 1 per day between 62cm to 80cm (see attached pic). If this app truly loads the latest updates (as it says it does), shouldn't this logically override any previous bulletins? Seems common sense to me...
Now try this with 28-6 and 28-9.

Oh these regs - so fun. As I'm sure most fishers here know, the FishingBC app loads the latest DFO updates when you launch the app. I just opened it at 6:30pm tonight. You obviously must select the correct regulations area, and look in the proper sub area regulation descriptions. Areas 29-3, 29-4, 29-5, and 29-8 (see map) clearly show a chinook slot limit of 1 per day between 62cm to 80cm (see attached pic). If this app truly loads the latest updates (as it says it does), shouldn't this logically override any previous bulletins? Seems common sense to me...
Except for that area east of etc etc.

Scroll down a bit more and I read this.......so confusing......
Screenshot_20220815-190045_FishingBC.jpg

Why would you do that? You can fish there just no Chinook retention. Why would you want to throw a wrench in someone's day? I'd say mind your own
The little sliver of 29-3,4,5 over by Gabe is open for retention. But the bulk of 29-3,4,5 east of that is "no fishing for chinook" not 'no retention

Last edited:
First off they should have never combined area 28 and 29 together in the same notice. I think that's where the confusion stared from within the wording. They blanketed an opening for the 2 areas, then specified below. Very extreemly difficult to understand. Since coho is open, not sure how they can site you for dragging around bait or gear. Either way, your allowed to fish. Good old DFO
I agree with this. Coho is open. They can be caught all over right now. Same gear and techniques as Chinook. There is no way to enforce the "no fishing for Chinook" rule.

DFO has done a great job of making the regs hard to follow. We should all stick together and be patient with those that have misinterpreted the regs. Easily done.

Just cleaned up some of the posts in this thread regarding the confusing Fisheries Notices for the Vancouver area. We appreciate that this debate is very frustrating, but we need to keep it civil. FN's posted in the reports area are generally good for the thread, but we are cluttering it now, when it is intended for reports. Perhaps a thread of it's own or, if someone has a connection in DFO, they could get clarification direct from the people that enforce it?

Thanks,

Brian

Took a little break from social media busy with my daughter having a baby, building the nest, i'm a heart melting grandpa to a girl, i really missed being on here busy with you guys chatting it up fish talk and food, best forum ever...

What a great day a kick start to the season zipped across with @Rain City a great guy and a great friendship and fishing buddy in the building,
green glow hooch, bonchovy flasher 190' felt good battling with some nice fish, will be sparking up the stove out there for some seafood eats..

Made a late night ribeye after fishing with a baguette
see you guys out there cheers!
Screen Shot 2022-08-14 at 9.57.47 PM.png

sky.JPG
IMG_2960.JPG

Took a little break from social media busy with my daughter having a baby, building the nest, i'm a heart melting grandpa to a girl, i really missed being on here busy with you guys chatting it up fish talk and food, best forum ever...

What a great day a kick start to the season zipped across with @Rain City a great guy and a great friendship and fishing buddy in the building,
green glow hooch, bonchovy flasher 190' felt good battling with some nice fish, will be sparking up the stove out there for some seafood eats..

Made a late night ribeye after fishing with a baguette
see you guys out there cheers!
View attachment 83631

View attachment 83634
View attachment 83635
What do you mean "fishing with a baguette?" I thought you use anchovy.

Crossed the pond yesterday afternoon, entrance,
Didn’t see any nets out, few unders, but my skills managed to get this beauty for the dog LoL View attachment 83625
What time were you out there? We fished from 830-330. We managed 3 keepers, released an oversized and a handful of shakers. Nothing crazy just slow grindy kind of day. Definitely saw lots of bait and fish tho. What a beauty day for fishing tho eh?

What time were you out there? We fished from 830-330. We managed 3 keepers, released an oversized and a handful of shakers. Nothing crazy just slow grindy kind of day. Definitely saw lots of bait and fish tho. What a beauty day for fishing tho eh?
Beautiful day to cross, even in a 21 foot jet boat in the middle of the afternoon , we had lines down around 3pm, definitely more action early. Released a few under. Stayed between 200-300 ft with the bottom rigger mainly set at 220. After our break at Silva bay, we tried really hard circling the same bait over and over again with nothing to show for but few shakers. Pink hit a white hooch at almost a dead stop, the dog was thrilled to have something in the cooler. I need a bigger boat LoL or a smaller dogE4808AB1-3E45-4D31-BB58-A226B07FEE71.jpeg

FN0774 re 28-9 is from LAST YEAR (Aug 10, 2021)
here is the current DFO Reg map (not from a tackle shop or a fisher)
https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/includes/Howe_Sound_and_Burrard_Inlet_Chinook_closure.jpeg
This is getting painful:1660757540591.png
Not sure what we are debating here, but Area 28 regs (web page and fishing bc) have no max (other than 28-9, this seems to be an oversight), we have the 2022 FN0774 with no max for 28-9, and the IFMP said "open 28-9 Aug 13 with no max." Pacific Angler seems to agree now also.

Last edited:
This is getting painful:View attachment 83701
Not sure what we are debating here, but Area 28 regs (web page and fishing bc) have no max (other than 28-9, this seems to be an oversight), we have the 2022 FN0774 with no max for 28-9, and the IFMP said "open 28-9 Aug 13 with no max." Pacific Angler seems to agree now also.
Yeah, what he said. (Thanks)

What's being debated here is that the FN0774 is NOT FOR THIS YEAR! That's last years Notice - no longer applies.
All of the 2022 FN's are numbered 0800 and higher.
Go to the DFO site I presented if you want correct, up-to-date maps.
(Avid Angler)
Dude, what are you looking at? Clearly it’s from 2022. I believe the FN0800 is around July 27 2022 and currently they’re in the 0900’s. this is right from the DFO fishery notices page.
Am I on glue?

Attachments

• 4FED5932-EE3F-4D91-9F60-41DD77087337.jpeg
    4FED5932-EE3F-4D91-9F60-41DD77087337.jpeg
    224.9 KB · Views: 56
On a more positive note, as of last Friday, things were looking very grim for a sockeye opening. Despite stellar numbers on the Nass, Skeena, and Alberni inlets, inferring high ocean survival rates, the test fisheries just haven't backed it up. The optimists among us would say, they're just late, don't give up. Now the good news, the test seine at the top of Johnstone Strait has been pulling close to 2000 sockeye per set since Friday. Best Blinkhorn Sockeye Seine numbers since 2014.

Last edited:
What's being debated here is that the FN0774 is NOT FOR THIS YEAR! That's last years Notice - no longer applies.
All of the 2022 FN's are numbered 0800 and higher.
Go to the DFO site I presented if you want correct, up-to-date maps. (those are the ones that COs etc are supposed to be using)
(Avid Angler)
(Note - Link is Area 28, 2022 notices, Recreational Salmon)
Would that be the same map that has 28-9 closed, makes no mention of 28-6, and doesn't even have the SRKW closure area around Point Grey?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back