2022 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would you do that? You can fish there just no Chinook retention. Why would you want to throw a wrench in someone's day? I'd say mind your own
To be clear, it's not "just no Chinook retention". Anyone reading the rules knows that until Sept 1, it's no Chinook fishing at all. Whether anyone wants to call it in is their business. Just like it's ones own business if they don't want to.

latest notice was posted on July 22. Read the latest notice. Go fishing, don't go fishing, whatever but if a guy wants to go out there and have a fun day then what in the actual **** is wrong with that?

This notice is a reminder to advise fishers of the recreational Chinook management measures and Chinook fishing opportunities in place for the 2022 season for Vancouver Area portions Area 28 and 29, including Southern Strait of Georgia, Howe Sound, Burrard Inlet, Fraser River approach and main stem tidal and non-tidal waters. The following measures are in effect for the following areas: Strait of Georgia South - Area 28 and 29 (with the exception of those portions of Areas 28 and 29 listed in the section below): - Currently in effect to 23:59 hours July 31, 2022: Chinook non-retention; - 00:01 hours August 1 to 23:59 hours August 31, 2022: 1 Chinook per day with a maximum size limit of 80 cm on marked and unmarked Chinook. - 00:01 hours September 1 to 23:59 hours December 31: 2 Chinook per day.

Last edited:
As suggested, from the DFO site, if you keep digging, you will see the text (shown below) describing the Strait of Georgia Chinook closure in 29 3-4-5.

When you open the map associated with that restriction notice (shown below) it shows what areas are currently open and what areas are closed until Aug 31st.

Present - Aug 31st, no fishing for Chinook in the blue lined areas. (this is not a Highwater map, this is DFO)

View attachment 83583

View attachment 83582

This is not the latest notice. they have changed the openings and closures notices. This looks like the one announced in May

One more thing then im out of this thread. If guys want to complain and raise flags to DFO, all your going to do is give these guys an excuse to make things even worse for the sportfishing community for our local water. Keep that up and all your going to do is **** it up for everyone else.

My couple cents. I'm outta here

Fished the Cap mouth yesterday. Picked up a nice 77cm on the first tide, 97 over 105 with a glow Chartreuse flasher and a glow green speckled hootchie. Then trolled 6 hours along WV looking for a coho. Caught a keeper size practice chinook on the second tide higher up the water column with a UV needle fish hootchie and the same flasher. Lots of bait around.

Fished Capilano mouth yesterday, two professionally eaten anchovies, just shakers. Landed wild ho-ho and let it go. Later hooked nice fish but gave the rod to my buddy and instead of reeling he was trying to adjust friction on the road, the fish hopped in to the propeller and escaped with hooks. That's it. Suspect that was coho as well due to small size.

Read the latest notice it changed August 1 non retention do your homework. July 22 update notice

July 22 FN0774 as you suggest.

Fishery Notice​

Category(s):
RECREATIONAL - Salmon
Subject:
FN0774-RECREATIONAL - Salmon - Chinook - Southern BC waters(Areas 28, 29): Southern Strait of Georgia, Howe Sound, Vancouver Area, Fraser River and Approach waters - Reminder of Fraser Chinook Management measures

Portions of Southern Strait of Georgia, Howe Sound and Burrard Inlet - Subareas 28-7 to 28-8; Subarea 28-1, and that portion of Subarea 28-2 that lies southerly of a line drawn due east from Halkett Point on Gambier Island (49 26.735'N, 123 19.302'W) to a point (49 26.550'N, 123 14.317'W) on the mainland corresponding with the southeast point of the Lions Bay RCA;

***********and those portions of 29-3 to 29-5 that lie east of a line from Gower Point (49 23.021'N, 123 32.166' W) near Gibsons to Shah Point on the southern tip of Valdes Island (49 01.695'N, 123 35.721'W):

- Currently in effect to 23:59 hours August 31, 2022: No fishing for Chinook;
- 00:01 hours September 1 to 23:59 hours December 31, 2022: 2 Chinook per day.**********

(Incidental catch of Chinook is going to happen when you are targeting coho in that area.)

Last edited:
July 22 FN0774 as you suggest.

Fishery Notice​

Category(s):
RECREATIONAL - Salmon
Subject:
FN0774-RECREATIONAL - Salmon - Chinook - Southern BC waters(Areas 28, 29): Southern Strait of Georgia, Howe Sound, Vancouver Area, Fraser River and Approach waters - Reminder of Fraser Chinook Management measures

Portions of Southern Strait of Georgia, Howe Sound and Burrard Inlet - Subareas 28-7 to 28-8; Subarea 28-1, and that portion of Subarea 28-2 that lies southerly of a line drawn due east from Halkett Point on Gambier Island (49 26.735'N, 123 19.302'W) to a point (49 26.550'N, 123 14.317'W) on the mainland corresponding with the southeast point of the Lions Bay RCA;

***********and those portions of 29-3 to 29-5 that lie east of a line from Gower Point (49 23.021'N, 123 32.166' W) near Gibsons to Shah Point on the southern tip of Valdes Island (49 01.695'N, 123 35.721'W):

- Currently in effect to 23:59 hours August 31, 2022: No fishing for Chinook;
- 00:01 hours September 1 to 23:59 hours December 31, 2022: 2 Chinook per day.**********

(Incidental catch of Chinook is going to happen when you are targeting coho in that area.)

That is not the notice

Effective July 31. Right there in the latest notice. 774 is this notice.

Edit: I see why I was confused, you deleted the first section

Screenshot_20220815-155640_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
First off they should have never combined area 28 and 29 together in the same notice. I think that's where the confusion stared from within the wording. They blanketed an opening for the 2 areas, then specified below. Very extreemly difficult to understand. Since coho is open, not sure how they can site you for dragging around bait or gear. Either way, your allowed to fish. Good old DFO

Last edited:
We've done this dance as well. It applies. I thought the same. This is all so ridiculous... Not you.
Can someone fill me in? Reading FN 774, I would say there is no 80cm limit in 28-9. Very confusing. DFO needs to put out a clear, concise , message. I want to fish, not play lawyer.

Can someone fill me in? Reading FN 774, I would say there is no 80cm limit in 28-9. Very confusing. DFO needs to put out a clear, concise , message. I want to fish, not play lawyer.

I don't see where there is a size restriction for that area either

First off they should have never combined area 28 and 29 together in the same notice. I think that's where the confusion stared from within the wording. They blanketed an opening for the 2 areas, then specified below. Very extreemly difficult to understand. Since coho is open, not sure how they can site you for dragging around bait or gear. Either way, your allowed to fish. Good old DFO

I was just at Pacific Angler. They referred to this map Highwater did showing the area where you can fish in 29-3,4,5. It is the sliver in yellow. Also shows the dates.

Have you wondered why the charter boats are going across to the Thrasher area daily instead of fishing locally if the area around Sand Heads was indeed open?

B9831E8D-C96D-4ACD-977E-13CF1F3DD13B.jpeg

I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but what a fricking disgrace the regs are. Experienced fishermen are having trouble deciphering what's legal and what's not. Not sure if it's incompetence on the Feds part or intentional.
I'll place $5 each on sheer incompetence, corruption and special-interest-hidden-agendas. Our beloved local fishing reports forum has completely devolved into "WTF does this mean?!?" debates and arguments. Meanwhile, sports fishermen (and ladies) are being hung out to dry while I'm pretty sure even the American commercial guys have a higher Canadian fishery TAC then we do.

By the way.... @BCBuoy and I spent 15 hours from the Cap to Point Atkinson yesterday and one nice Spring unintentionally released in a frenzied netting attempt.

I'll place $5 each on sheer incompetence, corruption and special-interest-hidden-agendas. Our beloved local fishing reports forum has completely devolved into "WTF does this mean?!?" debates and arguments. Meanwhile, sports fishermen (and ladies) are being hung out to dry while I'm pretty sure even the American commercial guys have a higher Canadian fishery TAC then we do.

By the way.... @BCBuoy and I spent 15 hours from the Cap to Point Atkinson yesterday and one nice Spring unintentionally released in a frenzied netting attempt.
Maybe... we should have gone to Sandheads ;)

Oh these regs - so fun. As I'm sure most fishers here know, the FishingBC app loads the latest DFO updates when you launch the app. I just opened it at 6:30pm tonight. You obviously must select the correct regulations area, and look in the proper sub area regulation descriptions. Areas 29-3, 29-4, 29-5, and 29-8 (see map) clearly show a chinook slot limit of 1 per day between 62cm to 80cm (see attached pic). If this app truly loads the latest updates (as it says it does), shouldn't this logically override any previous bulletins? Seems common sense to me...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220815-182634_FishingBC.jpg
    Screenshot_20220815-182634_FishingBC.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 61
  • Screenshot_20220815-182602_FishingBC.jpg
    Screenshot_20220815-182602_FishingBC.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 56
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back