2022 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
28-6 is your best bet of those two if you have the kids. More retention possibilities too. Even if it was choppy, it calms down as you head from Pt Atkinson progressing towards the fisheries building. Tide rip by First Narrows always freaks people out though.

The fishing is slow because you can't retain anything or even catch and release where the fish are. If you were able to fish off the South Arm or T-10 there would be fish. It all goes back to politics!
Ya almost half of August gone by and nothing from DFO on our right to go and catch sockeye on the Big year of the 4 year cycle. Well maybe with all the the nets strung across the Fraser we need to buy them from roadside coolers. How are you supposed to make any vacation plans when there is zero updates or guidance as to Fishery plans from DFO. Sucks what we get for what we pay for.

But it’s rockin over here!…. Got a 13, 11, & 9lb in the last couple days, including my kids first actual spring (grabbed rod, set hook, played it… was a jumper a few times). East entrance active pass all on skinny G herring aid spoon. 2 hatchery reds and a wild white View attachment 83230
When fishing the Mayne Island side /Georgia Straight side of Active pass you fish the area just outside the rock fish protection area or do you fish in the actual pass with all the currents
I see the winds are suppose to drop later this week
Just looking to give the boat a run and test the gear

Fished the north shore all afternoon. Finally one hookup. My bud is a new resident and he landed his first salmon. Nice hatchery Coho.

Attachments

• E689EF9A-07B8-4A12-A7C0-3010145E4A1E.jpeg
    E689EF9A-07B8-4A12-A7C0-3010145E4A1E.jpeg
    357.7 KB · Views: 219
  • 60B32E58-E63A-4434-9C3A-58CDF8044BB3.jpeg
    60B32E58-E63A-4434-9C3A-58CDF8044BB3.jpeg
    215.4 KB · Views: 217
  • 33EBB551-6EA9-4D45-9BE1-C1DF1C5EB996.jpeg
    33EBB551-6EA9-4D45-9BE1-C1DF1C5EB996.jpeg
    293 KB · Views: 219
When fishing the Mayne Island side /Georgia Straight side of Active pass you fish the area just outside the rock fish protection area or do you fish in the actual pass with all the currents
I see the winds are suppose to drop later this week
Just looking to give the boat a run and test the gear
Right inside the RCA. Tons of fish in there. (Just kidding!) Right in the pass up the Mayne side around 80-100’ depth tack, rigger around 65 usually. Gets tough in the current but that’s where they are, lots of bait stirs up. End of the flood & high slack is the best I find

R u not allowed to fish out there and just claim you are targeting coho and or catch and release?
It was tempting to grab a spring (or at least try) and say I got it in Area 18, but hey I try to play by the rules. Plus it was pretty lumpy That’s probably the real reason

Sad truth that we follow the rules even tho there is no fuckinh logical sense or science behind them. U should of racked a spring there quick and said it was from thrasher F those guys. Let alone the MILLIONS of sockeye currently in the river being raped and pillaged by our ceremonial brothers
Looking back at the notices from 2014 and 2018, Sockeyes opened on August 1st. What has changed? Everyday I look at the DFO website for fishery notices hoping to see the word “recreational” opening but all I see is aboriginal/ceremonially opening. So the fishes are there but they are open only for a selective few. DFO has zero credibility and not accountability in my book. Just so frustrating.

Put in a short shift this morning until the SE blew up. Gower Pt to Roberts Creek. Found some coho spread out, with most activity off Camp Byng. No clipped though. Surface down to 42’, had a decent one grab the spoon while I had the line in my hand just about to clip it to the downrigger. Had another at 18’ and several at 30-42’.

Oh yeah, used sabiki rig. Yesterday wasn't able to get bigger size, but it was lots of perfect ones to brine and use for chinook. Two weeks ago before those winds picket up went there and got lots of big ones:
View attachment 83397
Imagine fun when you pull 3 or 4 like this at the time. Simulates chinook fishing to me LoL

Sooner or later you might get a spring on the sabiki!

Oh yeah, used sabiki rig. Yesterday wasn't able to get bigger size, but it was lots of perfect ones to brine and use for chinook. Two weeks ago before those winds picket up went there and got lots of big ones:
View attachment 83397
Imagine fun when you pull 3 or 4 like this at the time. Simulates chinook fishing to me LoL
What size sabiki are you using for those monsters?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back