2022 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went out for the first trip on the new (for me) boat this past Saturday with @hippaisland. Spent our morning at Grace with another 4-5 boats and managed one keeper and about a half dozen just unders. All fish were right on bottom and we dragged around small spoons. Good to see the boat didn't scare off the fish too badly ;) Will try again this coming weekend... likely over at Galiano.... and report back.

Went out early from North Vancouver yesterday. Did one uneventful circle in Tunstall Bay and decided to head further north. Stopped in Trail Bay off Sechelt and hooked into the first of 10 fish after 5 minutes. Had a Skinny G 3.5in Irish Cream on one side and an Anchovy on the other side and eventually swapped the chovy for a 3" Lighthouse Avocado Dream as everything was hitting the spoon. Soon had a double header. All fish caught in 140-160ft of water typically 170 on the riggers. Lots of just under and one 9.5lb keeper. Cruised home to North Van at 22mph in 1hr45min and pleased I went beyond my normal fishing grounds.

Attachments

• IMG_2711.JPG
    IMG_2711.JPG
    121.9 KB · Views: 146
Went out early from North Vancouver yesterday. Did one uneventful circle in Tunstall Bay and decided to head further north. Stopped in Trail Bay off Sechelt and hooked into the first of 10 fish after 5 minutes. Had a Skinny G 3.5in Irish Cream on one side and an Anchovy on the other side and eventually swapped the chovy for a 3" Lighthouse Avocado Dream as everything was hitting the spoon. Soon had a double header. All fish caught in 140-160ft of water typically 170 on the riggers. Lots of just under and one 9.5lb keeper. Cruised home to North Van at 22mph in 1hr45min and pleased I went beyond my normal fishing grounds.
Good on ya. Were you marking lots of bait up there? What was in your keeper s gut?

Hey team, make sure to fill this out.
"Survey on potential 2022 management measures to address key threats to Southern Resident killer whales"

There is a thread with further information in the Saltwater Forum that you can use to comment on this topic. Here is the link.

Started at Gambier Hbr today. Only boat there and got sealed twice as a result. Lost one other that felt decent and released one that looked to be about 23”. Good bait. Moved over to Cotton Point for a pass when we couldn’t shake the seal, but no dice. Two orcas came through as we were pulling gear.
740C443B-F6F7-4251-87DD-B195ED412B0B.jpeg

Interesting reading about anchovy in these Howe Sound winters. Just a note that we would love more participation from lower mainland anglers in the UVic Adult Salmon diet program. You can read about it here https://islandfishermanmagazine.com/the-uvic-chinook-and-coho-diet-study/ and about winter-specific needs here https://islandfishermanmagazine.com...-mapping-the-salish-sea-through-salmon-diets/. Or watch me talk about it here:
. The stand up guys at Bon Chovy and Pacific Angler are good enough to accept folks dropping off frozen stomachs at their stores (if dropping off at the Bon Chovy Granville Island location call ahead to make sure someone is there). Detailed info on participation is in the first article above, or email juaneslabmanager@gmail.com for instructions.

Which one of you guys are fishing off Ambleside today? Must be a half dozen rigs out there, any action?

Slow go today at tunstall hooked a beautiful had to be over 10 lbs jumped right out of the water then oh look a seal is playing with him only bite all day just caught up with a guy at the launch we watched him play a fish saw it at the dock 25 lbs brute. Took home 45 prawn. Beautiful day out there today

Slow go today at tunstall hooked a beautiful had to be over 10 lbs jumped right out of the water then oh look a seal is playing with him only bite all day just caught up with a guy at the launch we watched him play a fish saw it at the dock 25 lbs brute. Took home 45 prawn. Beautiful day out there today
25 lbs. That's incredible in the winter.

That fish would make my season. Fished the bell today until the waves chased us off. 100 fow 100 on the riggers, 6 shakers (that rods acting a little funny) and 1 at 21". Spoons. Saw no seals.
im trying out the mile markers tommorow will report back tommorow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back