2022 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
SW of passage Island, two traps still there now

If they are Still there tomorrow I may pull them, dump all the prawn and sink them in a legal spot.
I can’t believe how many people are prawning on the sponge reef just SW of Passage island. I counted at least 10 traps inside the one area and 3 boats working them. Are they oblivious to the closures? The RCA boundaries show on my Garmin and are easy to avoid. I fished outside of all those boundaries today and did very well.

I can’t believe how many people are prawning on the sponge reef just SW of Passage island. I counted at least 10 traps inside the one area and 3 boats working them. Are they oblivious to the closures? The RCA boundaries show on my Garmin and are easy to avoid. I fished outside of all those boundaries today and did very well.
Did you report them?

Did you report them?
I reported a boat doing the same thing last time I was out. Wasn't willing to stick around to find out whether DFO would show up... anyone have first hand experience how often dfo shows up and how long it takes for them to show up? Would be nice if DFO cracked down on this type of crap.

I reported a boat doing the same thing last time I was out. Wasn't willing to stick around to find out whether DFO would show up... anyone have first hand experience how often dfo shows up and how long it takes for them to show up? Would be nice if DFO cracked down on this type of crap.
They don't show up. But if you get a photo and numbers of the boats it all goes on file. I've heard it takes dozens of reports of the same boat for them to launch an investigation.

I started yesterday in the freighters parallel to Spanish Banks, an area that has worked well for me but all quiet. Then around 11 I headed over to Tunstall and found the fleet so I kept going past the Waterfall (also a fleet) to Grace. Had the first 55 cm on the Langdale side just off the tip of the reef towards Gambier Harbor, 145' on an Irish Cream in 140' deep. Did a quick lap of the harbor but deeper on the way back and ran into this guy at 150' on the rigger, in 300' of water:

IMG_20220122_133251.jpg

IMG_20220122_133253.jpg

If you zoom in, you can see this was one heck of a big ling, and its funny because I have a heck of a time getting them to stick when I'm actually looking to bonk one.

Set him free and headed back around Grace to find another just under Spring, same Irish Cream, in 200' right on the floor. I thought about booting over towards Salmon Rock but just hung out there then did the dodgy run back to MCM. There is a TON of debris in the water, its crazy.

Cheers.

One undersized was all she wrote for us at freighters and mile markers today. Quite a few boats out. Only one we saw fighting (and netting) a fish was a sail boat running down riggers and flying a Soviet Union flag. Only in Vancouver!

I have longed to come north & spend a few days in Howe sound (we are shut down in the states!)...finally got a great window weather, negative covid test & away we went. Based on all the amazing reports on this thread & the guys at Pacific angler, pounded the bottom at the 3 most productive spots Tunstall, Defence Islands & Grace Islands. Got one legal first two days (at Tunsell & Defense) & two legals yesterday (at Grace)….total 4. None over 6lbs so no pics to brag on! Although we didn't get any bigs, got the bug out of my rear end & the place is truly magical to fish. Lots of great bait on the deck all 3 days. Darn near had the place to ourselves. Fish were choked with mini anchovies so the CK was by far the most productive. Thank you Canada for another amazing experience; as usual, everybody was friendly & nice to these two old Yanks!

Attachments

• Howe 1.jpeg
    Howe 1.jpeg
    158.9 KB · Views: 291
  • Howe 2.jpeg
    Howe 2.jpeg
    182.2 KB · Views: 289
  • Howe 3.jpeg
    Howe 3.jpeg
    169.8 KB · Views: 290
  • Howe 4.jpg
    Howe 4.jpg
    392.9 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:
I have longed to come north & spend a few days in Howe sound (we are shut down in the states!)...finally got a great window weather, negative covid test & away we went. Based on all the amazing reports on this thread & the guys at Pacific angler, pounded the bottom at the 3 most productive spots Tunsell, Defence Islands & Grace Islands. Got one legal first two days (at Tunsell & Defense) & two legals yesterday (at Grace)….total 4. None over 6lbs so no pics to brag on! Although we didn't get any bigs, got the bug out of my rear end & the place is truly magical to fish. Lots of great bait on the deck all 3 days. Darn near had the place to ourselves. Fish were choked with mini anchovies so the CK was by far the most productive. Thank you Canada for another amazing experience; as usual, everybody was friendly & nice to these two old Yanks!
Hey you have to use knuckle buster reels when in Canada. It's an unwritten rule.

Hey you have to use knuckle buster reels when in Canada. It's an unwritten rule.
I have hunks of knuckle flesh still floating in the water up at Hakai from my first (and only!) knucklebuster experience (back in 1994). I had a lightening fast 19lb northern coho literally turn my knuckles to pulp in a 10 minute fight to the death. My language at the time was not appropriate. Has scarred me for life!

Last edited:
I have longed to come north & spend a few days in Howe sound (we are shut down in the states!)...finally got a great window weather, negative covid test & away we went.
Until the Area 7 regulations really clamped down a couple of years ago, a couple of friends and I used to come down every winter for the Friday Harbor Salmon Classic which was a great event and because the fishing until recent years was so much better in the San Juan Islands than up here. In recent years the position has reversed. There should be more co-operation between USA PNW and Canada BC anglers so that a more united front can face the ongoing clampdown of fishing that is happening in both our regions. Glad you enjoyed your fishing up here!

Until the Area 7 regulations really clamped down a couple of years ago, a couple of friends and I used to come down every winter for the Friday Harbor Salmon Classic which was a great event and because the fishing until recent years was so much better in the San Juan Islands than up here. In recent years the position has reversed. There should be more co-operation between USA PNW and Canada BC anglers so that a more united front can face the ongoing clampdown of fishing that is happening in both our regions. Glad you enjoyed your fishing up here!
Couldnt agree more. We probably met at that derby. Never missed one!

Went up to Puerto cove today. We wanted to find a new prawn spot. We currently only have two really good spots that produce consistently. We dropped two traps and got six prawns. We decided we're going to buy an extra exploration trap. So we can set on our go to production spot and drop the exploration trap in new areas. Fishing was okay. Three unders and one 65cm that we released. On a krippled kc herring aid. I also caught what im pretty was a larger pacific cod. I thought it was a cat fish for a second. Rough ride home.
I'll probably keep at Tunstall/Grace/Hutt for the next while. It's a long ride to Puerto on a day like today.

Fished Grace Islands today from 10 to 12:30, through the low tide at around noon, and had a blast with undersized fish on a day that felt like the first whiff of spring. Had ~14 on, landed 10 and lost 2 to seals.

Both times we got sealed we had the fish on, felt like a solid hook set, started the retrieval and it was a good fish. Then it felt really heavy and started pulling out line. The first one we chased into the shallows before we lost the fish after fighting the seal / fish for over a minute. The second one we lost the fish about 10 seconds after the seal latched on. We were the only boat out so easy prey for the seals.

One fish we got to the boat was large enough to retain. Most fish were down deep – 180' to 220' and within 10% of the bottom. Lots of bait balls too. The usual flasher / lure patterns were working – glow flasher in silver / blue and chartreuse, irish cream glow spoon, chartreuse hoochie.

troll-spring.jpg
north-arm-morning.jpg

Thinking of planning a halibut trip.. looking at two areas outside of our vancouver zone but I know you guys have the best advice..

Would you venture up to CR or head out to oak bay area if you had a couple days to bob around?

CR being about 40 miles further than Vic but likely offer some more sheltered days if windy.. I've also never fished the inside waters for hali.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back