2022 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out at entrance, manageable. No hits yet. Rods down at 4pm. Fishing deep as I normally do around here (200ft + on riggers). Anyone else having luck? Green splatter back hootchie on one side and no banana's 5" spoon on the other.

Fished between gower point and roberts creek yesterday. It started off pretty bumpy for my little boat so we ran into the sound till late morning, then headed back out after it calmed down a bit.

Started the fishing day off with a down rigger fail, must have had a fray in the cable, came up to the stops and sheared, dropping to the bottom. I inspected it all recently, gues I should just replace the cables..

Fishing just one rod we had lots if action on a 3" cop car spoon and a green glow flasher fishing 120 feet, 60 to 80' down.... but all small. The water got to near flat in the afternoon as it started raining but after catching 15 unders we called it.

There were 5 or 6 boats out there, anybody have better luck than us? Any tips would be appreciated, Im still pretty new at this.

Heading over tomorrow. Hopefully they’re that high! Was hammering them 260-280’ on riggers last year same time so less reeling would be nice! Will report back.
Buzzed across and had lines down by 9:30. Picked up 66cm and an under first pass. Both on needlefish hooch. Swapped out skinny g for a 602 hooch. Had couple more unders then buddy lost a good one. One more button hook and dropped it in mud and off the clip right away on the 602 for a nice 78cm marble. Lines up at 11:30 and into Pages for the night. Might drop lines again in morning before heading back depending on the winds. Shirt I got for buddy last trip continues to stay hot. Lots of boats out! Water was as good as it gets.

Attachments

• 0D3BBC74-6F59-4799-B155-223B418FEB90.jpeg
    0D3BBC74-6F59-4799-B155-223B418FEB90.jpeg
    231.8 KB · Views: 234
  • E373BDD9-0464-416B-ABFF-B9A31DF4899B.jpeg
    E373BDD9-0464-416B-ABFF-B9A31DF4899B.jpeg
    203.6 KB · Views: 223
Great day out at Entrance today. Went out with family and made the first crossing in our Grady. Left the dock at 6 to catch the morning and afternoon slack tides. 8 fish to the boat, 3 keepers and 3 lost. And a whole lot of kelp in between haha.
Morning crossing was beauty and calm the way home a bit bumpy but still good. We were trying to keep up to one of the guide Grady’s going home but the little 225’s just didn’t have the might.
bbq’d up some strip loin for lunch and even tried over at snake island for some lings with no luck.

Hoping there are many more days like this
Tom

Attachments

• DAB93F2E-0912-49F7-A9F7-BA56F1C8B5C2.png
    DAB93F2E-0912-49F7-A9F7-BA56F1C8B5C2.png
    571.7 KB · Views: 213
  • F54F7B9F-5E2F-44BB-A806-3BCE1B597A0B.jpeg
    F54F7B9F-5E2F-44BB-A806-3BCE1B597A0B.jpeg
    398.7 KB · Views: 209
  • 45C59826-DA5B-43A0-B514-9A58CE98A4FD.png
    45C59826-DA5B-43A0-B514-9A58CE98A4FD.png
    665.7 KB · Views: 207
  • 68CC9B49-1554-4738-B6C3-4CFE4789FBF6.png
    68CC9B49-1554-4738-B6C3-4CFE4789FBF6.png
    551.8 KB · Views: 221
Fished between gower point and roberts creek yesterday. It started off pretty bumpy for my little boat so we ran into the sound till late morning, then headed back out after it calmed down a bit.

Started the fishing day off with a down rigger fail, must have had a fray in the cable, came up to the stops and sheared, dropping to the bottom. I inspected it all recently, gues I should just replace the cables..

Fishing just one rod we had lots if action on a 3" cop car spoon and a green glow flasher fishing 120 feet, 60 to 80' down.... but all small. The water got to near flat in the afternoon as it started raining but after catching 15 unders we called it.

There were 5 or 6 boats out there, anybody have better luck than us? Any tips would be appreciated, Im still pretty new at this.
Managed two almost exactly same size 70 CM Chinook bucks in front of camp Byng, = so was a fantastic opening day. Tons of small springs at well like you, 25-30? Wore ourselves out resetting gear but toughed it out.. We were the three 60 plus guys, in the blue/white 24' homebuilt. Fished 150 feet of water mostly, as was where we got the 2 big ones - so kept hard at it hoping for one more big salmon ( three of us on boat) . 35' to 80' produced well. Chrome on chrome pro-troll flasher with Skinny-G outfitter, was the combo for the overcast day, that got all the hits. So spoons over bait interestingly enough. Slept like the dead last night. Edited added fish pics

Attachments

• attachment1658074024155.jpg
    attachment1658074024155.jpg
    484 KB · Views: 105
  • attachment1658078923169.jpg
    attachment1658078923169.jpg
    381.1 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
This weekend I took advantage of the three day Washington state opening. Fished ten hours on Saturday, fished Point Roberts. We got a really nice wild Chinook. Can't keep wild. No hatchery for us, But I saw nets out and quite few hatchery fish bonked.
Today the Washington state opening was done so we crossed over to Canada fish area 17, about 30 minutes from Point Roberts. I don't know the spot names but the backside of Galiano Island. We got our two slot Chinook in 45 minutes a 65cm and 68cm. Back to Point Roberts by 1030. I recommend Point Roberts to anyone from Vancouver looking to fish a little bit more. Cheap marina and close to lots of good Canadian and American spots. The Point Roberts spot should be open all August and its 40 from Sandheads for September. 20220717_114858.jpg

This weekend I took advantage of the three day Washington state opening. Fished ten hours on Saturday, fished Point Roberts. We got a really nice wild Chinook. Can't keep wild. No hatchery for us, But I saw nets out and quite few hatchery fish bonked.
Today the Washington state opening was done so we crossed over to Canada fish area 17, about 30 minutes from Point Roberts. I don't know the spot names but the backside of Galiano Island. We got our two slot Chinook in 45 minutes a 65cm and 68cm. Back to Point Roberts by 1030. I recommend Point Roberts to anyone from Vancouver looking to fish a little bit more. Cheap marina and close to lots of good Canadian and American spots. The Point Roberts spot should be open all August and its 40 from Sandheads for September. View attachment 82462
It won’t be open for chinook when it reopens august 16th, clipped coho only. Washington is terrrible with their salmon seasons, we might get one more 3 day weekend out of it in area 7 for chinook but I doubt it. We were the red north river off the point all weekend. We bonked a couple on Thursday then it was a grind the next 2 days, one pin popper that spit the hooks after a minute of fighting and then nothing the rest of the weekend. There were fish in there- those tide rips are hard to navigate off the point and keep the gear clean.

It won’t be open for chinook when it reopens august 16th, clipped coho only. Washington is terrrible with their salmon seasons, we might get one more 3 day weekend out of it in area 7 for chinook but I doubt it. We were the red north river off the point all weekend. We bonked a couple on Thursday then it was a grind the next 2 days, one pin popper that spit the hooks after a minute of fighting and then nothing the rest of the weekend. There were fish in there- those tide rips are hard to navigate off the point and keep the gear clean.
Yeah it was a fun weekend. Saturday evening was pretty good. I just like how quick and easy the crossing is to the gulf islands.

Yeah it was a fun weekend. Saturday evening was pretty good. I just like how quick and easy the crossing is to the gulf islands.
Definitely a good spot to run straight across to the islands, going to try that out this year. If you guys are ever back fishing the point and see us out there don’t hesitate to find us in the marina for a beer or 3.

Definitely a good spot to run straight across to the islands, going to try that out this year. If you guys are ever back fishing the point and see us out there don’t hesitate to find us in the marina for a beer or 3.
I'm in the duckworth at A dock. See you down there

Sunday morning...was looking for coho around south Bowen, one undersized Chinook. Noticed a bunch of boats heading west so followed them and caught up with them around Gower in the afternoon until 4pm. Tried our luck for a Chinook keeper and kept pulling up undersized. 7 total. Booted back to West Van to pull up the crab traps...both full of just undersized. Couple tacks looking for coho....nothing. Nice day on the water once the wind died down a bit. Lost a cannon ball and broke a rod tip though...

Sunday morning...was looking for coho around south Bowen, one undersized Chinook. Noticed a bunch of boats heading west so followed them and caught up with them around Gower in the afternoon until 4pm. Tried our luck for a Chinook keeper and kept pulling up undersized. 7 total. Booted back to West Van to pull up the crab traps...both full of just undersized. Couple tacks looking for coho....nothing. Nice day on the water once the wind died down a bit. Lost a cannon ball and broke a rod tip though...
Sorry about the ball and rod tip...I enjoy that you stated your losses. I'm going to do that from now on in my reports..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back