Status
Not open for further replies.
Any fresh reports from up that way? Has Wya started going off yet?

We were out this morning for 3 hours and it was a grind. We picked up a ~12lb at Amphitrite, no love at Wya. Weather was WILD. Full on electrical storm that was one of the more intense ones I've seen in my life. I was mildly concerned when I kept getting a static shock from my aluminum boat, but we managed not to get hit.

Didn't see any other boat all morning net a salmon near us, so seems slowish for sure.

We were out this morning for 3 hours and it was a grind. We picked up a ~12lb at Amphitrite, no love at Wya. Weather was WILD. Full on electrical storm that was one of the more intense ones I've seen in my life. I was mildly concerned when I kept getting a static shock from my aluminum boat, but we managed not to get hit.

Didn't see any other boat all morning net a salmon near us, so seems slowish for sure.
Well a big wave should show up any day now. They might be travelling offshore this year too. Might have to take a peak at Turtle Head I guess.

Wya and Flo are producing steady. Sounds like all the way to Red Can. They will be pouring into the sound soon. Fish are smaller average this year with lots in the 12 to 15 pound range

I'm working in town next week for a few days. Is it worth bringing some gear and fish from shore?
Depends on your target species. Can easily get rockfish jigging from shore or surf perge off the beach but salmon will be difficult as you won't be able to get through the kelp.

Went out front at the peak of high tide tonight. Started my tac just inside red can. Hooked into a monster Chinook within 5 minutes. Handed the rod to the rookie. Second rod went off just as the monster crossed the second line. After a bit of dancing the guys had a good double header going. Unfortunately the big one snapped the line at the boat right after we got a good look at it. Landed second fish which was a mid teen. Got 2 more teens in the box before the wind and current got too bad. One of which the rookie pulled in with a bit of coaching. I'm sure he'll be dreaming about the one he lost. Haha.

Seems the bigger fish are in now. Get out there if you can.

Heard the squid are in the harbour too.

Went out front at the peak of high tide tonight. Started my tac just inside red can. Hooked into a monster Chinook within 5 minutes. Handed the rod to the rookie. Second rod went off just as the monster crossed the second line. After a bit of dancing the guys had a good double header going. Unfortunately the big one snapped the line at the boat right after we got a good look at it. Landed second fish which was a mid teen. Got 2 more teens in the box before the wind and current got too bad. One of which the rookie pulled in with a bit of coaching. I'm sure he'll be dreaming about the one he lost. Haha.

Seems the bigger fish are in now. Get out there if you can.

Heard the squid are in the harbour too.
Checked for squid in the harbor last night. No sign of them yet.

The squid were at the ucluelet Harbour dock. The dock near the fish cleaning table go out to the furthest finger.

How long will they be around. I'll be in town next week
Saw some ink on the dock today but didn't look fresh. Maybe a week old. Attached a screenshot of the dock location. Harbour master said they were catching the during the day last weekend. Last year they stuck around for almost a month.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220819-153517_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20220819-153517_Maps.jpg
    646.9 KB · Views: 52
just got back from ukee, real strong bite in the morning off little beach and out, wya doing very well all day. We got our limit in 90 mins and alot of charters were heading in or offshore at 10 am.. lots of boats from red can up to rocks off little beach.. ( by morning, I mean I am not the first boat out there, I wander out around 930ish and still do quite well.) watch for the pack of charters , they are mingling or circling in the right spots..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back