Status
Not open for further replies.
Grabbed a father daughter from Calgary who were camping and had only been fishing from the little zodiac and took them out for an afternoon fish at the light house. 3 hours - three nice springs I believe were 20ish, one low teens. Could have limited fishing the night bite as we were getting things dialed in but the daughter was feeling the swell and my son who had a good nap in the cuddy was still a little slow after playing since 5am.

Spoons were hot, one on an AP sand lance. 55 on the rigger.

Another great day in Tofino. Followed Willy out who looked to be going out for Tuna, well I followed him on AIS since my main is basically a kicker for his King Size. Fished the lighthouse for about 30-40 minutes, between debris on the lines, no nets out and guides leaving we booked it to Wilf? Was slow getting going but we started getting things dialled in after watching a guy in a little whaler land a beauty spring solo, made my attempt to land a coho solo the night before laughable.

We stayed on it and landed our first over twenty. Next one broke my new buddies knot (not a polymar), next one I lost when it spit the hook at the boat, next 3 we landed without a misstep!

Went and tried for Hali and lings, had one good Hali on the line but he spit half way up. Two nice cod, on the slow pitch rod and a couple undersize lings.

Going out for my last morning tomorrow without my son, hope to fill up the dance card and get back to camp with the family.

Finished the fishing trip yesterday, had a great time fishing Lennard and then Wilf for the last two days. Last day we lost two beautiful fish to stupidity, tie fresh leaders the week before and don’t let others use their gear, but we still landed 4. Might have a good blooper reel for YouTube.

44-66 on the rigger. This spoon don’t know the name and bait were performing. Popping of the clip, hardest setting all the way in, ever 30-40 minutes consistently the whole trip. 498146D0-46F5-4429-B630-FD7D1DEDFEBD.jpeg

Best fight of the trip was over 7 minutes of the MR2 screaming off and on. Lots of great forum members, locals and campers sharing the stoke and info. Watched Willy heading out this morning as we walked the dog on the beach and my son who just learned his pedal bike came riding down the beach towards us. I’m glad to be headed home and leaving the tuna for now.

Thankful for the 40 years I’ve been visiting Tofino.

Finished the fishing trip yesterday, had a great time fishing Lennard and then Wilf for the last two days. Last day we lost two beautiful fish to stupidity, tie fresh leaders the week before and don’t let others use their gear, but we still landed 4. Might have a good blooper reel for YouTube.

44-66 on the rigger. This spoon don’t know the name and bait were performing. Popping of the clip, hardest setting all the way in, ever 30-40 minutes consistently the whole trip. View attachment 84023

Best fight of the trip was over 7 minutes of the MR2 screaming off and on. Lots of great forum members, locals and campers sharing the stoke and info. Watched Willy heading out this morning as we walked the dog on the beach and my son who just learned his pedal bike came riding down the beach towards us. I’m glad to be headed home and leaving the tuna for now.

Thankful for the 40 years I’ve been visiting Tofino.

Kingfisher kitchen sink spoon. Gibbs makes same except calls it trap shack.

Kingfisher kitchen sink spoon. Gibbs makes same except calls it trap shack.
I think you are holding a Coyote spoon in cop car with the glow strip there. There also is a flasher in the same pattern with the glow strip. Have used that with good results off of Friendly Cove when nothing else would work. If you really want to make that spoon hold fish, take off the factory hook and put a 5/0 VMC Circle hook on. Your hit to fish box ratio will significantly improve.

Drewski

I think you are holding a Coyote spoon in cop car with the glow strip there. There also is a flasher in the same pattern with the glow strip. Have used that with good results off of Friendly Cove when nothing else would work. If you really want to make that spoon hold fish, take off the factory hook and put a 5/0 VMC Circle hook on. Your hit to fish box ratio will significantly improve.

Drewski

Attachments

• 8B5A6A16-DABF-4784-887B-371A76AF2AB1.png
    8B5A6A16-DABF-4784-887B-371A76AF2AB1.png
    633.5 KB · Views: 110
Nice reports Kael!
Of all my gear over the years, that spoon has been my go-to no matter if it was fishing in Nanaimo, Alberni, Bamfield, or Sooke. Always produces fish for some reason.

Nice reports Kael!
Of all my gear over the years, that spoon has been my go-to no matter if it was fishing in Nanaimo, Alberni, Bamfield, or Sooke. Always produces fish for some reason.
I always find it interesting how different areas use different gear and even techniques to catch the same fish as they migrate down the coast

Hali and springs seem to have both moved off and fishing was slow for both when we were out on Wed. We did manage three springs and one Hali approx 110cm while trolling so overall a really fun day. We also caught a couple of these while trolling a couple miles off Long Beach. Am I correct in calling this a Pacific or Chub Mackerel? Doesn’t look exactly like the pics I am seeing online so thought I would ask.DA2087CC-C1C7-4A55-947D-2DEEF20535D1.jpeg

Hali and springs seem to have both moved off and fishing was slow for both when we were out on Wed. We did manage three springs and one Hali approx 110cm while trolling so overall a really fun day. We also caught a couple of these while trolling a couple miles off Long Beach. Am I correct in calling this a Pacific or Chub Mackerel? Doesn’t look exactly like the pics I am seeing online so thought I would ask.View attachment 84538
Hake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back