Status
Not open for further replies.
well I can tell you Aug4 th there was 5 boats at otte,r friday was like 30 then this weekend was very slow for Aug , So we can tell DFO they did a great job as there really isnt alot of boats taking food away from the whales. I still find it hard to believe that 3 years ago we could keep 2 fisha nd didnt have to worry about sizes.... fishing like rollie said has been a bit tough with all the shakers going on. I did see something rather intriguing yesterday am !!! almost get to end of wiffen spit ohhhh whats this???apperantly the guy thought it was a good idea to anchor up beside the end of the spit at high tide ... came back at 2 and it was still there....

View attachment 83298
I get 1 or 2 sailboats ending up the same way in front of my place by Witte’s lagoon every summer. I’ve tried calling them on the vhf to warn them but ???what can you do?

well I can tell you Aug4 th there was 5 boats at otte,r friday was like 30 then this weekend was very slow for Aug , So we can tell DFO they did a great job as there really isnt alot of boats taking food away from the whales. I still find it hard to believe that 3 years ago we could keep 2 fisha nd didnt have to worry about sizes.... fishing like rollie said has been a bit tough with all the shakers going on. I did see something rather intriguing yesterday am !!! almost get to end of wiffen spit ohhhh whats this???apperantly the guy thought it was a good idea to anchor up beside the end of the spit at high tide ... came back at 2 and it was still there....

View attachment 83298
He was back floating and the engine running when I came in early evening..

Fished the Otter point area today. Lots of weeds and lots of small springs. We used 20 anchovies in 3.5 hours and we were only running two rods.. Moved over to Muir to get away from the weeds and ran into a sunken crab trap line which is 20 ft from the surface. It took 25 minute to get off it but we saved the balls.

At 630, we (2 of us) got the gear in the water and got a fish on before I could grab the other rod. 18.4lb. Then at 945 got another 17.9lb. plus a bonus clipped Coho. Fish were at 50 and 80 ft on the DR and on bait. I didn't see any big spring action from any other boats. Everyone was fighting off shakers and weeds.

Got back to the dock and saw the couple I had out yesterday. They went out at 630 in their boat and back in at 10 with two springs. They were fishing out front of the harbour and off the island. Both fish at 70 ft on the DR.

Attachments

• 2 X 80 cm springs Aug 8.jpg
    2 X 80 cm springs Aug 8.jpg
    360.5 KB · Views: 131
Three days of reports. Saturday we tried for hali on the Vic side for a few hours, only dog fish. Then back around to Beechy, and nothing but shakers for us.

Sunday, out for a few hours in am. Got lucky with two decent springs among the shakers. About 60 and 65cm, so not huge. No hatchery coho.

This evening, we headed out for the night bite. A few shakers to start, then around 7:30, I decided to run a rod higher than we had been at 35 feet. Within minutes, that rod bends over and it's on. Two long runs later and we brought a beauty big fish to the boat. A quick measurement told us it was about 95cm, so back he went. Looked like probably the biggest we ever would have landed. Turned and did that same line again. Wouldn't you know, another one hit. This one was smaller, definitely legal, but it kicked just before it could be netted and lost the hook. We stayed out past sunset trying again for another big one under 80, but only shakers.

Hey Blue Wolf. Sorry about the turn today at otter just landed a spring and the guy on the wheel
was excited
No problem all you have to remember is right rod to shore, so as no confusion with that tide.

Started fishing today at Muir Cr at 630 and there were 9 boats and 7 were charter boats. Lots and lots of small springs and we went through 14 bait in 1.5 hours. Managed to get a 9lb winter spring at Muir. At 830 moved to Otter Point and got a 78cm spring and back to the dock by 930. The fish were all at 70 ft on the DR, on bait. Not many boats out today and we were the only boat at Otter Point at 830. Never saw that before on Aug 9th.

So far this year, I've been on boats which have landed 16 springs and not a clipped spring yet?????? Normally 15% of the fish we catch are clipped.

Attachments

• Aug 9 2022.jpg
    Aug 9 2022.jpg
    325.5 KB · Views: 65
Later bite for us today but kept 3 springs and had to let a 4th go as we had 1 each in the boat. Also released 3 very nice sockeye with one a good 10 pound buck. Springs were 13-14 pounds and the bite came on in the flood rip around 11am. Finally a flood that does actually forms a distinct rip and looks fishy.

Fished Pedder from 1-5pm today. Released a 85cm spring. It had a 5-6" raw looking scar on the side of it's head so probably got lucky with a seal and lucky again today with being over 80cm. Released a shaker and an unclipped coho and lost a couple of smaller ones. Kept an unclipped 10lb spring. All on Wee G Herring Aid.

Later bite for us today but kept 3 springs and had to let a 4th go as we had 1 each in the boat. Also released 3 very nice sockeye with one a good 10 pound buck. Springs were 13-14 pounds and the bite came on in the flood rip around 11am. Finally a flood that does actually forms a distinct rip and looks fishy.
Nice to hear the sockeye are a good size.

Good morning wouldn't say it was a "hot "bite but consistent lost a couple but still got them, one thing I LOVE about what I do is taking people out that have never experienced big fish. the smile and the excitement is unmatched, poor guy was puking all am but said NO WAY after he got to play the first one... AP spoon again the blue one 4 inch and bait my deepest was only 65 feet and above all roads produced.
1660132005344.png

Going to be staying in Shirly from Aug 22-25. Looking to do two days on the water. Where's the best place for me to launch my 186 Double Eagle from? Thanks for any advice you can lend.

Much better to drive back to Sooke, and launch at the Prestige. That road west of Jordon River is BRUTAL!!!!!
x2 We were just on the road without a trailer and with apologies to Elvis our passengers were "all shook up." The road is paved, but very uneven. Worst condition we have experienced in last several years.

x2 We were just on the road without a trailer and with apologies to Elvis our passengers were "all shook up." The road is paved, but very uneven. Worst condition we have experienced in last several years.
Thanks everyone. Any suggested spots for us to fish in the Sooke Area? I'm very familiar with Nootka, Nanaimo, and the North Island, but have never fished out of Sooke or Renfrew.
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back