Status
Not open for further replies.
Fishing in sooke is non stop action on coho and some pinks and ohhh yes soxs and to throw into the mix, the odd nice fat spring. Getting limit of coho in no time... sad to see so few boats out as its a great time to get kids into it . Had a trip other day with a 12 year old he finally said ok enough as he played close to 30 coho and then 2 nice springs up to 16 lbs... last 3 days no more then 10 boats out fishing.. very sad state.
normal depths 25 to 70 feet AP spoons and needle fish hootchies seem to be doing it for me.....Hope to see you out there tight lines.

Good luck wolf

Fishing in sooke is non stop action on coho and some pinks and ohhh yes soxs and to throw into the mix, the odd nice fat spring. Getting limit of coho in no time... sad to see so few boats out as its a great time to get kids into it . Had a trip other day with a 12 year old he finally said ok enough as he played close to 30 coho and then 2 nice springs up to 16 lbs... last 3 days no more then 10 boats out fishing.. very sad state.
normal depths 25 to 70 feet AP spoons and needle fish hootchies seem to be doing it for me.....Hope to see you out there tight lines.

Good luck wolf
Are you still mainly up at otter?

Good luck wolf
Gotta echo Wolf’s sentiment regarding now being a perfect time to take kids out coho fishing. The action is no different than a good pink year and they are way better eating. Once again, if you hook a hatchery then circle back if possible. They seem to travel in schools. The wife and I will be out tomorrow as we can’t get enough of those tasty critters! BTW they make sockeye quality lox if you’re in to that but be mindful of the thinner fillets when curing. Only 10 more sleeps until we put the fly rods away and start chasing springs. Can’t wait!!!

Possession and secretary no need to go any further not going to waste gas when its not needed

LOL LOL
my plotter looks like a etch a sketch so many circles and lines
Any predictions on timing of dfo waves it’s magic wand and decides to open sox? Is it usually August?

Any predictions on timing of dfo waves it’s magic wand and decides to open sox? Is it usually August?
You are talking about DFO right?? where there is zero common sense to there minds !!!!!
AS for fishing was great to see alot of boats out enjoying a nice saturday... and thanks to the few guys that waved and said HI... I cant believe how good the coho are they were a little smaller then last few days but still good fighters next monday cant come soon enough!!!!!

You are talking about DFO right?? where there is zero common sense to there minds !!!!!
AS for fishing was great to see alot of boats out enjoying a nice saturday... and thanks to the few guys that waved and said HI... I cant believe how good the coho are they were a little smaller then last few days but still good fighters next monday cant come soon enough!!!!!
what are the new regs as of next Monday Aug 1 for Race to Otter pt West of otter, muir creek etc still total closed??

what are the new regs as of next Monday Aug 1 for Race to Otter pt West of otter, muir creek etc still total closed??
it will be open relatively close to shore-the usual spring tacks. For coho stay inside of aro 400 ft of water.

I suggest you look at the maps as its quite clear west of otter and muir are wide open and for the first time in a long time so is west of sheringham...

A lot of smaller fish out there right now, spent a beautiful July day catching mostly 2-5 lb coho with the odd spring mixed in, biggest was mid-teens. Fished all over off Beechey area but mostly further out 400-450 feet of water. We were doing better shallow early in the day 40-50 ft, then deeper later in the day 90-120. At 9am on a Sunday there were only 2 other boats fishing off the Head in light fog, how weird is that? It feels like a 'pink' year out there but the pinks are all coho. Perfect time to take people out who like action, good quantity lowish quality, not hard to get some hatchery keepers to take home.

A lot of smaller fish out there right now, spent a beautiful July day catching mostly 2-5 lb coho with the odd spring mixed in, biggest was mid-teens. Fished all over off Beechey area but mostly further out 400-450 feet of water. We were doing better shallow early in the day 40-50 ft, then deeper later in the day 90-120. At 9am on a Sunday there were only 2 other boats fishing off the Head in light fog, how weird is that? It feels like a 'pink' year out there but the pinks are all coho. Perfect time to take people out who like action, good quantity lowish quality, not hard to get some hatchery keepers to take home.
funny I thought todays were bigger but then I was out in front of sooke goes to show the schools are moving all the time.....this crew from ontario who have never salmon fished before had a blast we had this done in 2 hours...they rebooked again this week to get more....been so good even getting my coho too which I LOVE

1658749218993.png

We started out this morning at 8:30 near Aldridge. The fish were small for the first couple hours but lots of hits. At 10am , it really came on near the Head with the flood tide. We had pinks, coho, springs and a nice sockeye. Ended up keeping a few pinks and coho.

Out this evening with about 20 other boats around the Head for a night bite. There were bites, but only wild coho and spring for us, including one nice fighting hatchery spring around 12 lbs by my guess. Unbelievably flat water, beauty sunset, and the guys fishing from shore seemed to be having fun too. Lots and lots of bait jumping around the head.

Attachments

• 20220725_204033.jpg
    20220725_204033.jpg
    268.8 KB · Views: 67
  • 20220725_201505.jpg
    20220725_201505.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Out this evening with about 20 other boats around the Head for a night bite. There were bites, but only wild coho and spring for us, including one nice fighting hatchery spring around 12 lbs by my guess. Unbelievably flat water, beauty sunset, and the guys fishing from shore seemed to be having fun too. Lots and lots of bait jumping around the head.
Saw you out there Adler. It was a beautiful night indeed. My wife even came out for supper on the boat, which is a rarity! She forced me to do the crossword with her which I can usually avoid on dry land!

We were out there too Alder. Passed the guys casting from the head around 7 and they said they had over 10 to the shore! I did one lap in tight behind the head (Sooke side) and quickly caught 4 coho, two hatch. Seems like the coho were chasing the bait close to the shore as I saw lots of coho jumping within 20’ of the shoreline

Hit the Head today from 10:00-3:00, first pass within 5 minutes of getting the rods down was a double, landed many fish today, but only 1 clipped and and released a 10-12lb spring. I had a couple of wilds that were creeping up to the 6-8 lb range which were fun to play.

I tried something a little different for me today, one side I ran flasher and spoon, the other side I just ran spoon (skinny G) about 8-10’ back from the ball. The spoon without the flasher, out-fished the flasher by 3-1. Although the flasher did catch the spring.

I tried something a little different for me today, one side I ran flasher and spoon, the other side I just ran spoon (skinny G) about 8-10’ back from the ball. The spoon without the flasher, out-fished the flasher by 3-1. Although the flasher did catch the spring.

I highly recommend going flasherless, or even a dummy flasher 6' behind your cannonball. 10x more fun fighting a sub 10lb fish without the drag of the flasher. When the coho are visibly feeding on the surface do try just towing your spoon, with no weight, pick up the speed a bit and do fast loops around the school. This is what Campbell River coho fishing was like 30 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back