Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasnt bad in am but did see BWD was like 24 kts this am but sooke was flat till about 10 ish then you could see that storm from come in.
Im out for a 6 am trip Ray shoot me a text in am if you want and ill let you know 250 704-9653

Fishing was a bit slower today only got 6 hatch and about 20 wilds and only 7 boats out front ??
It looks like the morning should be fine,I'll be there about 6:30 to 7:00. Hope we find them before the wind picks up again.

How was the wind today (Monday) out Sooke way? I'm planning on running out there tomorrow from Vic. for some Coho action. First time in years to use all my trolling gear,downriggers.I will toss a few jigs their way too.
Tomorrow is supposed to be less windy then today and wednesday is going to be really calm. I might make a run out that way tomorrow and go wednesday as well (since I'm on vacation)

Tomorrow is supposed to be less windy then today and wednesday is going to be really calm. I might make a run out that way tomorrow and go wednesday as well (since I'm on vacation)
Get out there! These early season coho aren’t huge but my goodness are they excellent table fare. I haven’t fished for them a lot until recently and forgot why they were so popular and important for the inside fishery back in the day.

For me anyway, I find that if I hook a marked fish and then circle back on that school
I get more. Easier said than done I know but worth a try.

Fished mostly the Beecher retention area today. 3 springs all wild. Largest was over 20lb on a cut plug and dodger right on bottom 48ft. Kept 3 hatch coho and 8 crab. Released at least a dozen wilds today. Windy and hard to stay in a line. Targeted mostly springs. Deadliest lure was the lure Jenson white flash fly uv worth the $13

Get out there! These early season coho aren’t huge but my goodness are they excellent table fare. I haven’t fished for them a lot until recently and forgot why they were so popular and important for the inside fishery back in the day.

For me anyway, I find that if I hook a marked fish and then circle back on that school
I agree about circling back on hatchery cohos

Have to echo Cut Plug regarding how tasty the Coho are. Was out for a perfect evening on the water. Pulled out the fly rod and ran it off the rigger at about 25 feet with a daisy chain dummy flasher set up and a skinny g Herring Aid spoon about 10 feet back. Got our 4 clipped out of a total of 10 landed with the biggest about 7 pounds. Great fun on the fly rod. We were in about 350 feet of water off Beechy. After we limited on Coho we made our way over to the Trap area and pulled the mooching rods out. Picked up a couple of shakers then spent the last half hour rubbing the rocks and on the last pass, picked up a 20ish Chinook at 25 feet on the rigger on the exact same setup we were using for the fly rod. So much fun without the flasher. No pic, as it went right back into the swim. Hope to get out again soon for some light gear Coho action!

Jul 19 1.jpg

Jul 19 2.jpg

Jul 19.jpg

Made the run to Beechy today,perfect calm water there and back and lots of action.Had our 4 hatch by 9:30 while fixing all the trolling gear I haven't used in a long time.Trophy reel with growly bearing,Scotty DR brake that wouldn't hold,Frozen clip ends or released too easily,all to be expected from lack of use.Released a lot of wilds,I hope their still alive,but doubt that a few will survive.Still think the fishery would be better if we kept the first 4 fish we caught hatch or wild and quit.My 2 cents for what it's worth.Never saw any sign of springs in the open area or outside.But they'll be all over Aug.1 I'm sure.

Similar report as Rayvon, fished in 350 of water east of the Head for 20 odd fish to the boat, including a low teens spring and a nice sockeye. We were done by 9:30 so we tried in Becher for a spring but no love there for us. Great day on the water.
00D2C437-AE01-444E-A4C4-BDFB5E4CCD80.jpeg

Question for the local halibut veterans. Is tomorrow a decent day for currents around pedder bay? No experience in setting the pick so wondering if the current will be a problem

Went out today. Wife landed i fish of a lifetime. Swam away strong. Did a dna sample but my measureing tape was to short to get a accurate length.. Lots of Hatch coho limited in 35 minutes. Out in the deep water on a no bananas spoon near Aldridge

Attachments

• IMG_20220719_214525_790.jpg
    IMG_20220719_214525_790.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 264
  • 20220719_172647.jpg
    20220719_172647.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 258
Question for the local halibut veterans. Is tomorrow a decent day for currents around pedder bay? No experience in setting the pick so wondering if the current will be a problem

Went out today. Wife landed i fish of a lifetime. Swam away strong. Did a dna sample but my measureing tape was to short to get a accurate length.. Lots of Hatch coho limited in 35 minutes. Out in the deep water on a no bananas spoon near Aldridge
Yeah that’s a decent one

Went out today. Wife landed i fish of a lifetime. Lots of Hatch coho limited in 35 minutes. Out in the deep water on a no bananas spoon near Aldridge
Yeah that’s a decent one
Thanks, appreciate it.

Came out to beachy head today for some coho fishing with my 5 year old son and a fishing buddy.

weather was nicer then expected and I was Looking forward to getting my boy to reel in a fish.

we dropped lines east of the head as the ebb pushed us. We trolled cross to the current and set up 3 rods.

juat as we had all 3 rods set up… bam! Got a triple header … best part was my son helped us with it and he landed the first clipped coho of the day!

trolled around someone more and for into fish at various depths from 30 a 80 ft.

got a few more coho when all of a sudden we got hit on the center downrigger and the fish almost took all the line. Turned out to be a big chinook on an APtackleworks lure (in a custom colour)

mended off with a few nice clipped coho and headed home early. Picked up the crab traps and limited out on 12 keepers.

Got home and took my son to swim class then wife and I took him to the beach and had dinner there.

perfect day.

best part… the kid wants to go out again with me tomorrow :)

Attachments

• B791B98A-F438-4444-9EFB-52CA49449560.jpeg
    B791B98A-F438-4444-9EFB-52CA49449560.jpeg
    333.4 KB · Views: 120
  • FC60909B-3FAE-4F7F-AE8B-65981C0C08FC.jpeg
    FC60909B-3FAE-4F7F-AE8B-65981C0C08FC.jpeg
    311.9 KB · Views: 119
  • 4F1CD118-0617-4939-A2C7-D1B3BBCE4B1C.jpeg
    4F1CD118-0617-4939-A2C7-D1B3BBCE4B1C.jpeg
    497.8 KB · Views: 121

How deep were you when you got that 30 lber?

Well I had my engines serviced in May, as was going out of town for a while. Today was the first chance for a “shake down cruise”.

Got an engine alarm on start up and also the water pressure gauge was not working! Did a couple of circuits of Sooke inner basin but water was pumping out and engine temp stayed down so gave it a shot.

Out front the binnacle throttle was playing up and sticking badly and would not back off to neutral without crashing it through to reverse! Other than all that, everything worked perfectly!!! LOL

Kicker was tested fine earlier and as folks on here have reported already, there are tons of coho out there. Seemed to prefer our pink hootchies and big pink coho fly. Definitely not as much action on the trusty Mcknight spoon. Had our hatchery fish by 10:30am and all hits were at 25 feet or while lowering gear.

Fog never lifted, so back to the ranch to phone the service dealer again!!

Well I had my engines serviced in May, as was going out of town for a while. Today was the first chance for a “shake down cruise”.

Got an engine alarm on start up and also the water pressure gauge was not working! Did a couple of circuits of Sooke inner basin but water was pumping out and engine temp stayed down so gave it a shot.

Out front the binnacle throttle was playing up and sticking badly and would not back off to neutral without crashing it through to reverse! Other than all that, everything worked perfectly!!! LOL

Kicker was tested fine earlier and as folks on here have reported already, there are tons of coho out there. Seemed to prefer our pink hootchies and big pink coho fly. Definitely not as much action on the trusty Mcknight spoon. Had our hatchery fish by 10:30am and all hits were at 25 feet or while lowering gear.

Fog never lifted, so back to the ranch to phone the service dealer again!!
Water pressure gage ? Not temperature ?

Was out again this afternoon for some coho. We had just picked up our 2nd hali in the mudhole. Winds weren't too bad and sun was shining off pedder bay........ once we headed to race passage fog, wind, waves. It was like we crossed an imaginary line and went to a different planet!

We drove by radar and chart, made it to the same spot east of the head where visibility opened up a bit in the bay. Dropped lines and had our first coho within minutes again. Hit many nice coho but most this time were wild. Had lots of fun bringing them to the boat and kept the clipped coho. My little boy got onto a nice fish again and was struggling to reel it in but wouldn't let anyone help him.... He eventually got it to the boat and netted. Coho were hitting a little deeper this time 50ft to 70ft. The APtackelworks lures outfished the others. Pulled up as the wind came up even more and headed home. Once we rounded race passage sunshine and lighter winds again....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back