Status
Not open for further replies.
What an epic adventure for my last day Chinook fishing this summer. We launched at Cheanuh at 6am and fished the Head to the Trap. 6 chinook to the boat by 10am, 3 of them teenagers, 18.5, 18 and 13lbs. Lost just as many pin poppers which somehow took the anchovy but didn't stick. Finished with a couple of hatchery coho.
Large anchovies and 65-85ft deep was the ticket today.
Time to fire up the smoker!IMG_20220908_122027_864.jpg

What an epic adventure for my last day Chinook fishing this summer. We launched at Cheanuh at 6am and fished the Head to the Trap. 6 chinook to the boat by 10am, 3 of them teenagers, 18.5, 18 and 13lbs. Lost just as many pin poppers which somehow took the anchovy but didn't stick. Finished with a couple of hatchery coho.
Large anchovies and 65-85ft deep was the ticket today.
Time to fire up the smoker!View attachment 84792
Are you using a single stinger hook?! I find those get over half the hookups on teaser heads.
As an added bonus, sometimes the fish roll into both hooks and they would never come off.

Are you using a single stinger hook?! I find those get over half the hookups on teaser heads.
As an added bonus, sometimes the fish roll into both hooks and they would never come off.
I run both setups. Usually a treble and single stinger with extra large anchovy and double singles with small anchovy.
@wolf i was definitely discouraged after my last 2 trips but glad i gave it 1 last go!

I run both setups. Usually a treble and single stinger with extra large anchovy and double singles with small anchovy.
@wolf i was definitely discouraged after my last 2 trips but glad i gave it 1 last go!

Glad you had an awesome day there. Congratulations!

This is great if you are retaining every fish that bites. Not so good for releasing fish. Lots of small throw backs and unclipped coho out there right now.

HOW can that be ??? someone on here said the fish were all gone???
Actually Wolf, no one on here said the "fish were all gone". That is a false piece of misquoted misinformation. I suggest you re-read the post that seems to give you and some others here so much mirth. Congrats to Kinetic. He had a good day and proves some fish do appear from time to time in September, as the post actually said if you bothered to read it. And if the fish were here in large numbers in September how do you explain the derby results? Or are you suggesting all the derby anglers were beginners and didn't know what they were doing!!?

And if the fish were here in large numbers in September how do you explain the derby results?
WELL maybe re read what I said about conditions and WHAT goes on. I tried to explain it best I could for you, but sadly you will never understand it. so ill say it again here ill make it a bit easier for you ....KILLER WHALES AT 9 AM ,EBB TIDE,WEATHER CHANGE COMING. SUNDAY LOW FRONT MOVED IN AND RAIN. even cut plug "tried" to point it out to you.

But you know what bud carry on with what your doing going out blind, we are all on here to help you over the last many years we have given you countless information and trust me I get you want to do it the "english" way but sometimes driving on the left side of the road doesnt work in Canada,

im not trying to be mean to you bud ,but it frustrates me to see you struggle as it seems you dont want to listen to the great advice people share on here and tried to explain to you.

Mostly disappear and all gone is the same thing, your starting to sound like trudeau now.. trying to mix words.

Last edited:
Actually Wolf, no one on here said the "fish were all gone". That is a false piece of misquoted misinformation. I suggest you re-read the post that seems to give you and some others here so much mirth. Congrats to Kinetic. He had a good day and proves some fish do appear from time to time in September, as the post actually said if you bothered to read it. And if the fish were here in large numbers in September how do you explain the derby results? Or are you suggesting all the derby anglers were beginners and didn't know what they were doing!!?
The derby only paid out for top fish. No second place so very few people weighed in the fish they caught that day. Only worth puting on the scale if you thought it may be a winner. We kept 2 fish that day and weighed in 1 Only because we had entered side bet and I was told the top fish was not in side bet. Way more fish were caught in that derby than weighed in.
First week of September is always good to me. This year with no rain and maybe some late fish we may get a couple more weeks of fishing springs.

Lol. I love reading these reports and seeing the trials and tribulations of your adventures. I miss the days I used to haunt Muir and Otter.
But... Just hold on a minute fellas while I grab the 🍿

Went out for the long haul yesterday, dropped the lines at 6am at the Trap, got into some coho action at 8am, then dead for about 2 hrs, then got an 18lb white, and missed several other hits, one off the pin and lost. Only happened that I was not watching the rod for 3 seconds. then another 2-3 hrs of nothing, then then current was just ripping, so put on the herring special AP spoon, and got a 13 lb hatch coho, was acting like a spring the whole time. Then it was 4pm and decided to leave the Trap after spending the last 10 hrs there and got a 26 lb White freight train just before Beechy Head. Trolled back towards Aldridge and got our last hatch coho to limit out. 18 lb was caught on hootchy at 82 ft and 26lb was on bait on a 9ft leader at 60 ft. Stopped fishing at 7pm. Get out there while the springs are there. IMG_0435.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Went out for the long haul yesterday, dropped the lines at 6am at the Trap, got into some coho action at 8am, then dead for about 2 hrs, then got an 18lb white, and missed several other hits, one off the pin and lost. Only happened that I was not watching the rod for 3 seconds. then another 2-3 hrs of nothing, then then current was just ripping, so put on the herring special AP spoon, and got a 13 lb hatch coho, was acting like a spring the whole time. Then it was 4pm and decided to leave the Trap after spending the last 10 hrs there and got a 26 lb White freight train just before Beechy Head. Trolled back towards Aldridge and got our last hatch coho to limit out. !8 lb was caught on hootchy at 82 ft and 26lb was on bait on a 9ft leader at 60 ft. Stopped fishing at 7pm. Get out there while the springs are there. View attachment 84823
Congrats! "stayed and made it pay" also thank you for the details on gear, depth and lures... that is a real fishing report. Helpful to me as I'm going out tomorrow. Tight lines!

Tried Beachy Head and the Trap Shack tonight. tried 20 to 75 feet and everything in between. Herring Aid spoon and Super Betsy flasher on one side, and white hootchie and then spoons on the other fished behind a purple haze flasher. Nothing but constant shakers for us, not one decent hit. There were people cleaning fish at the dock when we came in, so the were there. One guy, who we saw out at the Shack said he was fishing 75 feet, So we were in the zone.
Maybe, I lost all my luck when I lost my favourite spoon

Well guess all the decent chinook mostly disappear( not true) , or maybe im just really lucky but last few days have been better then some august days. EVERYDAY is different and it appears to me that the runs are still coming in daily , case in point white springs on day 20 lbs and a 16 and very chrome next day was red springs one a bit darker. ill keep playing till they are gone and thats going to take some serious rain . my biggest to date was on sept 16 YES it was a few years ago but it was 49 lbs 14 ozs
1662897444939.png1662897427716.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back