2022 Sidney Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sidney is mostly a tide/current change bite.
I was talking to buddy fishing today at Coal Island today and they said lots of boats are fishing the non retention of chinook area around Coal Island. With the winds in Sooke may be lots of new fishers to Sidney so check the regs and see what part of Coal Island is open and closed.
Also around Morseby, Fairfax closure.

I heartily agree with cpony that you really need to pay attention to the currents and tides to fish Sidney. Lots of spots are virtually unfishable when the tide is ripping. Plan your day accordingly.

With the slack coincides with sunup, it’s best case scenario.
Either that or whenever CBY fishes apparently

From the reports you are all posting, it seems to be a dawn/early morning bite out there. Is that right?
I'm lazy, so don't go out for sunrises. I much prefer sunsets and have reasonable success as such.
Flood tides are the best for fishing, but the worst for the amount of crap in the water

You gotta love happy hour on the peninsula… bevies on the boat with two tight lines. Today was a bitter sweet experience for my wife. She brought 4 to the boat this afternoon evening. Three under the 62cm with the biggest 56cm, and then this happened my reel started screaming. This was my wife’s first time out fishing this year and nails a slab in a half. This beauty was well over 100cm and I would say anywhere from 25-30Lbs, this was her biggest fish ever. So a quick photo op and a nice healthy release with tears in my eyes. We were fishing the spit, in 100’ of water 86’and 65’ on the rigger caught this one at 86’ with a green loony spoon and yellow flasher. We couldn’t find a keep within the slot limit today but a great day on the water.

Attachments

• 67DD55A3-A2BB-43ED-BBDD-F99B71CC39C1.jpeg
    67DD55A3-A2BB-43ED-BBDD-F99B71CC39C1.jpeg
    203.8 KB · Views: 284
  • 8C9FE789-4DB7-4EF6-BDAB-3B667C28430C.jpeg
    8C9FE789-4DB7-4EF6-BDAB-3B667C28430C.jpeg
    178.5 KB · Views: 265
What a dandy! Congratulations
Craig, obviously you are very proud of your wife and fancy boat which people will now recognize. You should be completely embarrassed for the mishandling of that beautiful fish. Both of her hands are inside the gill plate even if it swam away zero chance it survives. I have followed this forum for years never signed in until now. Infuriated! Fishinforever congratulating someone on being ignorant only shows your ignorance. People that do not know how to handle and release properly should not be allowed to fish. Once they learn how then of course they should be able too. Please learn before you go fishing again! Being a good fisher person isn’t just about catching fish anymore it’s as much about releasing the ones you can’t keep safely. Posting pics like Craig’s will most likely lead to Dfo deciding to not allow any sport fishing.

Craig, obviously you are very proud of your wife and fancy boat which people will now recognize. You should be completely embarrassed for the mishandling of that beautiful fish. Both of her hands are inside the gill plate even if it swam away zero chance it survives. I have followed this forum for years never signed in until now. Infuriated! Fishinforever congratulating someone on being ignorant only shows your ignorance. People that do not know how to handle and release properly should not be allowed to fish. Once they learn how then of course they should be able too. Please learn before you go fishing again! Being a good fisher person isn’t just about catching fish anymore it’s as much about releasing the ones you can’t keep safely. Posting pics like Craig’s will most likely lead to Dfo deciding to not allow any sport fishing.
Fair comment on the handling of the fish but lighting someone up in public will only ensure that they stop posting. You could have as easily sent a PM with your comments and also explained a lot more tactfully.

It is always easy to be the old guy in the balcony criticizing everyone else. Since you obviously are an experienced fisherman, why don't you post more and share some of your knowledge so that everyone can learn?

The forum's strength is people sharing and learning from each other, not waiting until they see someone doing something wrong, and then publicly shaming them. My 3 cents.

Fair comment on the handling of the fish but lighting someone up in public will only ensure that they stop posting. You could have as easily sent a PM with your comments and also explained a lot more tactfully.

It is always easy to be the old guy in the balcony criticizing everyone else. Since you obviously are an experienced fisherman, why don't you post more and share some of your knowledge so that everyone can learn?

The forum's strength is people sharing and learning from each other, not waiting until they see someone doing something wrong, and then publicly shaming them. My 3 cents.
Well said.

Well said.
My apologies for feeling the need to embarrass anyone publicly? Wtf I think someone embarrassed themselves being ignorant of the correct way to handle and release a beautiful fish that may come from a run that is decimated. Being ignorant of something that is not law is not a crime. I am sure I have been ignorant maybe even of a law. But it should be a crime to handle a fish like that and to post the pics. It is not the first time someone has posted similar type pics. Like I said it infuriates me ! Killing a Spring Salmon unnecessarily. I want my grandkids to be able to catch one even if they have to release it and so should you. Now I am totally relaxed sitting on my balcony feeling Old. Believe it or not I am a very experienced fisherman a few thousand days on the water literally. Please allow me to share my knowledge. Along time ago I figured out that if you don’t kill fish unnecessarily we will have more in the future. As far as criticizing anyone goes maybe you should just sit back on your balcony and stare in the mirror.

Well said.
You have to think of the fish first. Release in the water. is best but If you have to bring in the boat to measure for retention do it as guickly as possible If over 80cm hold fish around tail and with the other hand under the belly to release I am sure most have seen this on fishing programs It is just common sense It is not rocket science Taking a picture just adds time to the fish out of the water.Try taking a mental picture instead.

Unhook in the water, or if the fish needs to be netted due to size keep net in water. If hero shot is desired support the weight of the fish with a hand under the belly and the back hand holding the wrist on the tail. You don't want to carry the weight of the fish by the gills or tail alone, gills get damaged or spine gets damaged if you carry the weight by the tail.

Back to reports

My apologies for feeling the need to embarrass anyone publicly? Wtf I think someone embarrassed themselves being ignorant of the correct way to handle and release a beautiful fish that may come from a run that is decimated. Being ignorant of something that is not law is not a crime. I am sure I have been ignorant maybe even of a law. But it should be a crime to handle a fish like that and to post the pics. It is not the first time someone has posted similar type pics. Like I said it infuriates me ! Killing a Spring Salmon unnecessarily. I want my grandkids to be able to catch one even if they have to release it and so should you. Now I am totally relaxed sitting on my balcony feeling Old. Believe it or not I am a very experienced fisherman a few thousand days on the water literally. Please allow me to share my knowledge. Along time ago I figured out that if you don’t kill fish unnecessarily we will have more in the future. As far as criticizing anyone goes maybe you should just sit back on your balcony and stare in the mirror.
What a first day on the forum. Scorched Earth!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back