2022 Sidney Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha not at all. You gotta laugh about it. For the derby I bought 6 packs of red label herring, brined up 4 packs the night before for day 1. I told Brooksie I would fish bait all weekend! Then after my first herring got blown apart on the first pass, i switched to my trusty AP sandlance for the remainder of the derby. It hooked one borderline keeper!

I dropped in today and hit that fish within 5 mins.

Thats fishing!

Haha not at all. You gotta laugh about it. For the derby I bought 6 packs of red label herring, brined up 4 packs the night before for day 1. I told Brooksie I would fish bait all weekend! Then after my first herring got blown apart on the first pass, i switched to my trusty AP sandlance for the remainder of the derby. It hooked one borderline keeper!

I dropped in today and hit that fish within 5 mins.

Thats fishing!
I suffered the Skunk in the fundraising event as well. Never skunked all winter until this weekend. FYI a buddy went out Monday off Sidney and nailed a 22 lb. At least he wasn't in the event. That's fishing.

Had a spectacularly bad day of fishing in Sidney Channel yesterday. The current was so strong several trap floats had been pulled under and were trolling hazards. Fortunately, we only fouled once. No Fish on bait or spoons trolling either direction from the red can to past powder wharf.
When the wind came up we decided to head closer to the launch (Small boat) and turn our remaining bait into greenling for ceviche.
Literally, nothing bit bait on the bottom. Not even a sculpin. This struck me as very strange. Glad to see some fish were caught elsewhere.

Also, is it just me or is there a lot of commercial crabbing all in one area? I don't think I have seen so many floats so close together before.
Near N. James island.

Also, is it just me or is there a lot of commercial crabbing all in one area? I don't think I have seen so many floats so close together before.
Near N. James island.
I've seen that elsewhere. I assume they are really bombing one spot or more likely just keeping them conveniently all in one place while things are down.

So are these floats close to the powder wharf and beach area golf course ? Close in or farther out ? Thx
I'm not sure if they are still there, but there were many off the north end of James Island, In the Sidney channel, and in the main channel in front of Tulista.

Hope this is ok here. Does anyone know if the ramp is open in central Saanich on First Nations land to access Saanich inlet?

Hope this is ok here. Does anyone know if the ramp is open in central Saanich on First Nations land to access Saanich inlet?
I launched there a week ago and they said that they would be putting a drop box to pay on the weekends. $15 per launch

Boat Ramp Rd off the lower end of Stelly’s on the Tsartlip Res as Scott mention
Thanks for the replies, I have used this ramp for many years. I remember bolts sticking out of the side of the dock the last time I was there in 2019 - any improvements?

Thanks for the replies, I have used this ramp for many years. I remember bolts sticking out of the side of the dock the last time I was there in 2019 - any improvements?
It is a new dock. The cement is still bumpy but the dock is new. You can get tickets /launch fee from inside the building during business hours or drop an envelop with your name and license plate in the drop box in front of the shed before or after hours or on the weekend. Prawning is excellent right now.

It is a new dock. The cement is still bumpy but the dock is new. You can get tickets /launch fee from inside the building during business hours or drop an envelop with your name and license plate in the drop box in front of the shed before or after hours or on the weekend. Prawning is excellent right now.
What does it cost to use the ramp? It use to be $10 years ago. Heard it is now $15 to launch $15 to park.

lost two prawn traps with line and two crab floats joined together in 240 feet one mile north of Brentwood ferry dock. name and phone number were on the floats. any info appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back