2022 Secret Cove, Pender Harbour and Texada Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
One single this am off roberts creek, beauty 69 cms 127 in 150' white jughead hoochie again. That's the bridge from metal to bait, which I haven't rolled at all this year. Gonna howl the next few days so if I can find a window, egmont here I come.

Cheers
awesome

All good today off Epsom! Salmon were a plenty, lings tired to stay under the slot...Nice try. Prawns were nice, now go home city slickers.... we need a rest.... Love you guys! ... who said that....

Attachments

• IMG_1928.JPG
    IMG_1928.JPG
    417.2 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_1937.JPG
    IMG_1937.JPG
    288.7 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_9389.JPEG
    IMG_9389.JPEG
    242.2 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_1935.JPG
    IMG_1935.JPG
    622 KB · Views: 167
Egmont report july 20-22:

3 keepers 63cm, 67cm, 74cm, over 2.5 days and 2 people

8 undersized

sealed 3 times

setup was 1 downrigger at 120ft, another at 80
red flasher with white hoochie (all keepers on this one)
other rod was green flasher with spotted green hoochie

prawning not great, 25 of them total

Bonkers warm out today and spent my time releasing unders off upwood. Then as the sun set bam a nice one at 125 on the rigger in 700' of water smashed my ap spoon. Good battle and a 72cm came home.

The fun started at the dock as I just had my knife sharpened and it bumped my thumb with a deep 1" cut right across but missed the ligament so I'm chilling in st Mary's waiting on stitches. But wow the filets are amazing the knife is deadly sharp!!

Hot hot heat has not been good for the bite for me. Fished the morning 6-8am and night shift 7-9pm yesterday on W side of Epsom with very little result. Hot weather and steady high pressure continues and fish feel very lethargic.

Marking lots of fish but very few biters. Are fish deep? Are they just not feeding? Both?

Morning, slack low was 5am so tried trolling for 80% of time with some jigging at the end of the session with very little joy. Scratched one 64cm skinny fish out on green flash / big eye spoon in 60' toward the end.

Night was slow too. High tide was 7:50pm so thought it could be great. Fish have got to eat eventually? Alas, no, it was not great. It was slow.

Trolled the W side of Epsom, starting at the N end. Tons of fish marked and gone through, no bites. So slow I talked with my brother on a catch-up call. Hung up with him at 8:38 and bam, fish in the box at 8:43. Another smaller fish, around 64cm, but fatter than the morning.

~15 other boats out all collected around the SW corner of Epsom. Maybe they were getting fish? Enjoying the pink skies? Not sure. Anyone getting fish?

I just got back from upwood and soon as I dropped in around 3 pm I saw an unreal orca show including a calf. They hung around the boat for about 20 mins and I could hear them chatting away.

Anyway its a 40 min run so wtf, I went for it. Under after under after under...then a low 60s and a second was released. Close to dusk bam and I brought in a 72, and while I was bleeding it out, and well after sunset, slam the other side goes but I missed it.

Ap spoons close to shore and white hoochie out deep for suspended fish. 127 on the ap, 110 on the hoochie.

Back at it tomorrow, Sunday and then home Monday blah. Cheers.

Last edited:
nice quick morning fish at epsom. Got our 2 fish (10ish lbers) in short order and back before breakfast! Wife didn’t even know I had left. Had a few unders as well. Both keepers on a white glow hooch down deep at 150-160. Lots of nice bait up higher but we only got a couple small ones up high. Same program planned for tomo.

Attachments

• 80B2100D-62F3-4CE7-A72E-17C0122D223E.png
    80B2100D-62F3-4CE7-A72E-17C0122D223E.png
    510.7 KB · Views: 111
  • 88458502-A5B2-4406-A810-59289F6D9F40.jpeg
    88458502-A5B2-4406-A810-59289F6D9F40.jpeg
    289.2 KB · Views: 110
  • E2064D22-B386-48C6-B8B6-FACFF15CEAE0.jpeg
    E2064D22-B386-48C6-B8B6-FACFF15CEAE0.jpeg
    251.8 KB · Views: 111
nice quick morning fish at epsom. Got our 2 fish (10ish lbers) in short order and back before breakfast! Wife didn’t even know I had left. Had a few unders as well. Both keepers on a white glow hooch down deep at 150-160. Lots of nice bait up higher but we only got a couple small ones up high. Same program planned for tomo.
It doesn’t count against youR fishing time if she didn’t know you were gone, lol.

Those are SFBC 20's

Someone at my marina told me there is no longer any max 80cm size limit for Chinooks if they are hatchery, but I don't see this in the regs ... anyone know if this is the case? Thanks in advance.

Two seniors snuck out yesterday, did not worry about time or tides. Rewarded with calm seas, Epsom herring, lots of under action, one for the table. Crabs were good with 7 keepers, lings all under.....

Attachments

• IMG_1979.JPG
    IMG_1979.JPG
    423.4 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_1983.JPG
    IMG_1983.JPG
    532.2 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_1987.JPG
    IMG_1987.JPG
    511.5 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_1978.JPG
    IMG_1978.JPG
    336 KB · Views: 129
I dropped in late around 7 pm off texada it was non stop with just unders til dusk. That's all she wrote, I fished from roberts creek to Gower today with another just under. Will be back on the coast mid August, it was a stunning run with some of the best Chinook fishing I've seen on the central straits for some time. I think it is slowing down around Gower but hear it's hot across the way.

Great reports guys. Makes me want to take a run over there from here in Nanoose. Fishing has been pretty good here as welll but always cool to fish some new spots. I think it’s about a 40-45 minute run from our bay to Thormamby, which I think is where Epsome is.

You should drop in at sangster first and work the west side, then upwood and finally epsom. Make a few days out of it, easy Anchorage at Buccaneer Bay or they have transient moorage at secret cove marina.

You should drop in at sangster first and work the west side, then upwood and finally epsom. Make a few days out of it, easy Anchorage at Buccaneer Bay or they have transient moorage at secret cove marina.
That sounds cool. We do fish Sangster quite a bit. It’s about an 18 minute run from here.
be nice to stay at an inn or air B&B at secret Cove.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back