2022 Secret Cove, Pender Harbour and Texada Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to be trying as much as I can starting Thursday, out of Secret Cove.

Have not fished up the inlets yet (mostly just fished around Epsom and S Texada), so any suggestions would be appreciated. Will report back on results.
We got a few in Killam on the flood two weeks ago. 90 and 130 running army truck hootchies and herring aid spoons, my go to "I dont know what works here" lures

I took my father up on Father’s Day to Egmont point and along the rock wall but had only one small strike. Didn’t see anybody else met anything either. Outside Pender on the other hand was lights out but no retention. Thanks for the updates!

I'm looking to take my young niece and nephew out fishing next week around Pender / Secret Cove area. If I was to target pinks, is there a depth and area you would recommend? - TIA

Finally made it to Egmont Point to wet a line. Run from Secret Cove took about an hour each way, so travel time cuts into fishing time.

Anywho, champagne problems aside, we got there, we fished through some squalls of driving rain and gusting wind, and got one beautiful red to bring home at 90’ on a black / green / silver pattern flasher and matching 3.5 spoon.

A6D326C0-DBBA-4324-81FF-84C0AFCCF9D0.jpeg

Here’s my net man with the evidence.

We had another fish on too — clip popper that sounded then came straight at the boat. I was churning that reel quick as I could when the fish started really pulling line. Oh, no. Seal!

Reel screaming, we spun the boat to go after it. Pop the other rod and get the rigger up, into the shallows. See the seal head pop up to look at us, salmon flopped over in its mouth. ******.

Kept after it. Forty feet deep. Thirty feet. Twenty feet. The leech is practically on the rocks when the hook breaks free and we hit reverse in ten feet of water, flasher skimming across the surface and spoon intact.

But that was it for action. We fished for another 45 minutes trying different depths and got nothing.

A8CEACCE-CD58-49E3-82FB-F2C8E30AFF34.jpeg

Finally made it to Egmont Point to wet a line. Run from Secret Cove took about an hour each way, so travel time cuts into fishing time.

Anywho, champagne problems aside, we got there, we fished through some squalls of driving rain and gusting wind, and got one beautiful red to bring home at 90’ on a black / green / silver pattern flasher and matching 3.5 spoon.

View attachment 82021

Here’s my net man with the evidence.

We had another fish on too — clip popper that sounded then came straight at the boat. I was churning that reel quick as I could when the fish started really pulling line. Oh, no. Seal!

Reel screaming, we spun the boat to go after it. Pop the other rod and get the rigger up, into the shallows. See the seal head pop up to look at us, salmon flopped over in its mouth. ******.

Kept after it. Forty feet deep. Thirty feet. Twenty feet. The leech is practically on the rocks when the hook breaks free and we hit reverse in ten feet of water, flasher skimming across the surface and spoon intact.

But that was it for action. We fished for another 45 minutes trying different depths and got nothing.

View attachment 82022
nice red meat there

Went out to QB to enjoy the beautiful sunset and track where the fish are for July opening. Didn’t see any bait or fish on the sounder but did catch and release two nice springs (larger being 16 lb. Second one was a brute on the line and made the release part all worthwhile. Both brought into the boat by hand then quickly released after measurement.View attachment 81582View attachment 81581View attachment 81580View attachment 81583
Holy Fack, send me your address and i will mail you a tape measure so you can keep the fish in the water.

Holy Fack, send me your address and i will mail you a tape measure so you can keep the fish in the water.
They were easily released back in the water and vigorously swam away. I don’t use the net to minimize physical contact. I’ll bring them up side of the boat, pop them over the side for a quick photo. Then hold them back in the water until they swim away on their own.

What I don't see is any mention of a slot limit? Am I missing something?
Subject: FN0693-RECREATIONAL - Salmon - Northeast Vancouver Island - Areas 11/111 to 17 and Subareas 29-1 and 29-2 - Chinook Management Measures - effective July 15, 2022.

This notice advises fishers of the recreational Chinook fishing opportunities for Areas 11/111 to 17, and Subareas 29-1 and 29-2, effective July 15, 2022......
Subareas 29-1 and 29-2 Chinook retention opportunities (excluding those portions listed above as closed or non-retention):

- 00:01 hours July 15 to 23:59 hours August 31: One (1) Chinook per day with a maximum size limit of 80 cm on marked and unmarked Chinook.

- 00:01 hours September 1 to 23:59 hours December 31: Two (2) Chinook per day, no maximum size limit.

Subject: FN0693-RECREATIONAL - Salmon - Northeast Vancouver Island - Areas 11/111 to 17 and Subareas 29-1 and 29-2 - Chinook Management Measures - effective July 15, 2022.

This notice advises fishers of the recreational Chinook fishing opportunities for Areas 11/111 to 17, and Subareas 29-1 and 29-2, effective July 15, 2022......
Subareas 29-1 and 29-2 Chinook retention opportunities (excluding those portions listed above as closed or non-retention):

- 00:01 hours July 15 to 23:59 hours August 31: One (1) Chinook per day with a maximum size limit of 80 cm on marked and unmarked Chinook.

- 00:01 hours September 1 to 23:59 hours December 31: Two (2) Chinook per day, no maximum size limit.

Ya you gotta look at the actual notice to get the real details. Thanks for sharing, I played the lazy card on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back