2022 Port Renfrew Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I figure the prawns travel, they are in Barkley Sound and Neah they have to be in front of Renfrew?
maybe true. Forgive my amateur hour post here, but in Renfrew, you have to head out a ways to hit the depths that prawns are normally at. Add in the relatively constant swell and does that play into the lack of efforts? Lots of crab pots throughout the bay as its nice and gentle, and less than 60 ft?

I've tried prawning out of Neah Bay in a few different locations - Switftsure and to the SW. I've yet to find a place with prawns out of Neah. That doesn't mean they aren't there, I've just never found them (and I've prawned areas that look similar to what produces tons of prawns in the Puget Sound and the San Juan islands).

It’s pretty sad when beginning of July in Port Renfrew and the few posts on here are just talking about Prawn Fishing.
Must be hard on the economy but maybe the day trip sightseers can make up the difference.

It’s pretty sad when beginning of July in Port Renfrew and the few posts on here are just talking about Prawn Fishing.
Must be hard on the economy but maybe the day trip sightseers can make up the difference.
Oh people are fishing, just on my way back now,Hali is good , salmon ok for CNR, and salmon being caught around nitnat, crabbing is slow. Guide boats are out every day

Oh people are fishing, just on my way back now,Hali is good , salmon ok for CNR, and salmon being caught around nitnat, crabbing is slow. Guide boats are out every day
Can you retain chinook if you run up to nitnat?

Last edited:
Is anyone catching Hali on the drift right now? My buddy was up a few weeks ago and struck out backtrolling. I would prefer not to drop my anchor, but wanted to know if that is the only thing working consistently right now?

Also is anyone planning a trip Saturday out to Swiftsure/Nitnat and up for having a buddy boat? I'm thinking about heading out solo (I've been multiple times, have radar, floater jacket and both handheld and fixed mmsi GPS radios) but it would be good to help zero in on the fish and have the extra set of eyes on the water.

Thanks

Is anyone catching Hali on the drift right now? My buddy was up a few weeks ago and struck out backtrolling. I would prefer not to drop my anchor, but wanted to know if that is the only thing working consistently right now?

Also is anyone planning a trip Saturday out to Swiftsure/Nitnat and up for having a buddy boat? I'm thinking about heading out solo (I've been multiple times, have radar, floater jacket and both handheld and fixed mmsi GPS radios) but it would be good to help zero in on the fish and have the extra set of eyes on the water.

Thanks
The best way to catch halibut on the Bank has always been on the drift. I'm sure there are charter guys around. Do what I do, look for a spot to call your own. Sombrio is where I would go. Good luck!

Thanks
Just drift, not going this weekend, but be that way 15-16-17

One on the right is a monster! I came down with covid, so even if I manage to recover enough I have no plans on using my anchor solo offshore.
, Just a preference I think, have not fished the ranch side in at least 5 years, never anchor, in fact I don’t even own a Hali anchor set up, never been skunk on Hali in my last 20 plus times out, always box out or 1 short of boxing out, and never spend more then 3 hrs out there

Just back from a couple of days at Renfrew. Went out with the old "Trailhead" guides (now Wild Renfrew). Feel badly for those guys having to run up to area 21 (45-55 min trip) when the regs could be amended for them to fish the beach, Camper, Eastpoint etc and keep within a certain distance of the shoreline. Anyway, chinook fishing was scratchy in area 21. Couple of times a morning there seemed to be a small wave of fish push through, but for the most part it was staring at rod tips. The Coho are everywhere and easy to catch the hatchery limit if you're so inclined. And we got into some nice halibut (on the drift). A couple of nice 30+lb halis. Also got a heck of a humpback show with one breaching only 10 meters from the boat.

I know they (the guides) can't wait til July 15, but was a good solid couple of days this past weekend. And great to be back on the westcoast of the island.

Fished Sunday with my dad and son. We made the run to NitNat in the morning and caught 4 low teen Springs and lost a few more. Headed offshore for the tide change and anchored up. Got one right away and once the tide swung the other 2 were in the boat in less than an hour. We lost a few others so not sure what the deal was. Water was dead flat but it’s been windy the last few days. Looks like it’s going to cooperate for the 15th. We have done a lot of catch and release the last few weeks and there seems to be decent fish around. Crabbing is a bit on the slow side but still some big hard crabs to be had.

Attachments

• 58361F6F-38A6-48C9-B381-C1D488AA9241.jpeg
    58361F6F-38A6-48C9-B381-C1D488AA9241.jpeg
    247.3 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
fished out of nitnat Sunday afternoon no springs 2boats,from the hole to klanawa,out to swift,1ling,2passes at the bar 19:00 ish ,no Sammy’s but a baby grey said hi at the bar ….really cool,bar was flat.
Question I read area 20-1,20-2 open on July 14 ,agreeably 1 day,but just checking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back