Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for a kayak fishing camping spot for a summer trip. How far out do you start to find fish. Not looking for hot numbers just how far do you need to travel for consistint fish?

Cluxewe campground is right on the water. Pinks can be caught right off the beach. Strong current in this whole area. So be careful and monitor the tides

We were at Alder bay last year and the tidal flow kicked our asses
A lot of the boats from alder bay and port McNeil make the 15 to 20 mile run to fish bere point. The current on the back side of malcolm isn't as bad as it is off of alder bay. You need reservations at bere point campsite in the summer. I see quite a few kayaks and car toppers fishing there.

We fished Hardy waters June 17,18,19. June 17th we fished Taylor bank, missed gaffing a huge lightly hooked ling at the boat but lot’s of rock fish. June 18th hammered springs around the corner from Cape Sutil, lost a huge spring to a seal lion. Caught black bass and released a wild coho. June 18th fished the Buckle Group, 1 ling and lots of rock fish, the tides were huge making it challenging. I forgot to mention that marked gas at the PetroCan fuel dock at Bear Cove was $2.14 a litre, cheaper than in town.

Last edited:
We fished Hardy waters June 17,18,19. June 17th we fished Taylor bank, missed gaffing a huge lightly hooked ling at the boat but lot’s of rock fish. June 18th hammered springs around the corner from Cape Sutil, lost a huge spring to a seal lion. Caught black bass and released a wild coho. June 18th fished the Buckle Group, 1 ling and lots of rock fish, the tides were huge making it challenging.

when we were out tides were bad as well there was a good bite at sutil when the current change for about a 1 hour window and by the time the current was running 3 knots shut right off. The guides would hit the tide change and then head out for bottom fish.

I will let you know @sweettjim

Gong Show Fish Patrol, heading up island for a redemption trip to Port Hardy.
My memory of the last trip some 9 years ago is very fuzzy.
I think every single system on board, boat, kicker and gear was FUBAR.

Weather reports are encouraging, we are hoping to hit both sides of QC.

Happy Canada Day everyone!

Great trip to Hardy.
Met some new friends at the Bait Shack, then did Canada Day night at Bull Harbour with three other boats. Last night we slept on the hook in Miles Inlet work f'ng champagne and fresh black cod with a side of ling cheeks. What a cool spot.
Sutil and Brenner Points were interesting places to learn the tack. Small springs and patchy.
Trolled up hali at Nahwitti Bar.
Lights out ling cod fishing at Cape Caution.

Two and a half days fishing for four spring, a coho for @sweettjim , two hali 39 and 114, and eight ling.

Time for a nap.

Too the family out fishing in the Hardy area last weekend. We decided to fish around the top end in 111 as we usually do this time of year when the N/W winds aren't too bad. We started at Sutil as there were a few boats working there but soon discovered that not much was going on. We tried all the tricks and kept dragging the gear towards Cape Scott. The sounder was blank, no birds to be seen, and not another boat in sight. We decided to call it a day and found ourselves a nice little sheltered anchorage to spend the night.
It was a nice peaceful spot until these yahoos in a Kingfisher came and anchored directly in front of us. My wife and I started making dinner and the party started on the boat that anchored in front of us. They had the music playing very loud and were howling like wolves. We finished dinner and put the kids to bed while the party raged on on the other boat. Those guys carried on until the wee hours of the morning and not much sleep was happening on our boat. I looked out the window at about 5am only to see one of those goons pooping off the back of the boat- DISGUSTING!! They pulled the anchor, and left the bay. We never seen them after that.
We ended up catching a couple springs later that day as we spent the morning napping in the harbour.

I see a reocurring theme with the Kingfisher guys....I was all alone in a bay last year and two of them anchored up on either side of leaving zero sea room for tidal swing....then it was party and ********. I saw the writing on the was so I pulled up my anchor and left the bay And found another spot

The next morning every time one of them hooked a spring it was whoop and holler, then lots of fish-hefting in the air and chest pounding on the chest so the entire fleet could see what awesome fishermen they were....

Apologies to the other Kingfisher owners out there who understand safe anchoring practice and over-night boat camping etiquette

Great trip to Hardy.
Met some new friends at the Bait Shack, then did Canada Day night at Bull Harbour with three other boats. Last night we slept on the hook in Miles Inlet work f'ng champagne and fresh black cod with a side of ling cheeks. What a cool spot.
Sutil and Brenner Points were interesting places to learn the tack. Small springs and patchy.
Trolled up hali at Nahwitti Bar.
Lights out ling cod fishing at Cape Caution.

Two and a half days fishing for four spring, a coho for @sweettjim , two hali 39 and 114, and eight ling.

Time for a nap.
Would have seen u out there

How things looking this year so far? Heading up for our annual trip from the Comox Valley on monday for the week. Any recent reports always appreciated and happy to to follow up at the end of our trip.
Saturday fished off NE end of Duval Island, lots of shakers, but every 10th fish was a keeper. 14 lb spring and a 6 lb coho that fought like a 20 pounder. 120 feet trolling 3 inch and 4 inch kitchen sink, and keeping away from shore, where it was pretty crowded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back