2022 Port Alberni and Alberni Inlet Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Subject: FN0579-RECREATIONAL Salmon - All finfish - Port Alberni Inlet - Subareas 23-2 and 23-3 - Finfish Closure Area Update - June 30, 2022

Category(s):
RECREATIONAL - Salmonstyle='mso-special-character:line-break'>

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN0579-RECREATIONAL Salmon - All finfish - Port Alberni Inlet - Subareas 23-2 and 23-3 - Finfish Closure Area Update - June 30, 2022

Effective 00:01 hours June 30, 2022 until 23:59 September 30, 2022 the following portion of subareas 23-2 and 23-3 will be closed to angling for all finfish:

That portion of subarea 23-2 south of a line drawn from Bilton Point easterly to Coleman Creek. Pocahontas Point is the southern boundary of this area; and

That portion of subarea 23-3 north of a line drawn from Chup Point easterly to Hissin Point. Pocahontas Point is the northern boundary of this area.

A proposal set forth by the Alberni Valley Sport Fishing Advisory Committee to increase the finfish closure area around Uchucklesit Inlet, that comes into effect on June 30, 2022 to protect Henderson Sockeye Salmon, was approved by the Area 23 Harvest Committee at a meeting on May 27, 2022. The attendees at this meeting were representatives from the Maa-nulth, Tseshaht and Hupacasath First Nations, stakeholders from the commercial gill net and seine fisheries, the Alberni Valley Sport Fishing Advisory Committee, and DFO staff.

This notice updates the Uchucklesit Inlet closed area in FN0415 from 00:01 June 30, 2022 until 23:59 September 30, 2022.

Variation Order # 2022-RCT-258 in effect.

NOTES AND REMINDERS:
Barbless hooks are required when fishing for salmon in tidal and non-tidal waters of British Columbia.

The term "marked", "hatchery marked", or "adipose fin clipped" means a fish that has a healed scar in place of the adipose fin.

Fishers are encouraged to participate in the Salmon Sport Head Recovery program by labelling and submitting heads from hatchery marked Chinook and Coho Salmon to head depots. New 2022 condition of license for Chinook and Coho head-off length equivalents support participation. The head-off measurement can be used by enforcement officers to assess compliance on size limits if you remove the head from Chinook or Coho. Recovery of microscopic coded-wire tags found inside hatchery marked Chinook and Coho heads provide critical information for coast-wide stock assessment. Contact the Salmon Sport Head Recovery Program toll free at 1-866-483-9994 for further information

All anglers must have a licence to fish in tidal waters in BC. Apply for your BC tidal waters recreational fishing licence and salmon conservation stamp at href="https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/licence-permis/index-eng.html">https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/licence-permis/index-eng.html.
If you see a sea turtle, please call this toll-free phone number: 1-866-I SAW ONE (1-866-472-9663). Please include information such as the type of sea turtle seen (i.e. leatherback), the location and time of sighting.

If a marine mammal becomes entangled in fishing gear, fishers should immediately call the Observe, Record, Report (ORR) line at 1-800-465-4336. Fishers are advised not to attempt to free the animal of the fishing gear as this can pose a serious threat to the safety of the fisher and the animal. If your vessel strikes a whale, or if you observe a sick, injured, distressed, or dead marine mammal in B.C. waters, please contact the hotline immediately: 1-800-465-4336 or VHF Channel 16.

Fishers are encouraged to stop fishing (do not haul gear) within 1,000 metres of killer whales and let them pass. For more information on the best ways to help whales while on the water, when on both sides of the border, please visit: bewhalewise.org.

Consult the online BC Sport Fish Guide at href="https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/index-eng.html">https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/index-eng.html for the latest closures, regulations, and restrictions.
Report suspicious activity or violations by email at href="mailto:DFO.ORR-ONS.MPO@dfo-mpo.gc.ca">DFO.ORR-ONS.MPO@dfo-mpo.gc.ca or by calling the 24-hour, toll-free Observe, Record, and Report line at 1-800-465-4336 or 604-607-4186 in greater Vancouver.
The 24-hour, toll-free information line for fishery notices regarding openings and closures is 1-866-431-3474 or 604-666-2828 in greater Vancouver.

FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Please contact Christie Morrison by emailing href="mailto:Christie.Morrison@dfo-mpo.gc.ca">Christie.Morrison@dfo-mpo.gc.ca or calling 250-720-4440.
Fisheries and Oceans Canada Operations Center - FN0579
Sent June 9, 2022 at 11:34
Visit us on the Web at href="http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca">http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca
If you would like to unsubscribe, please submit your request at: href="http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=manage_subscription">http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=manage_subscription

This fishery usually fires up on or just after Fathers day..However with the cool water temp. and rian the fish are not waiting but shooting straight up the river .. May not even get a crack at them this year..its happen before

Drove through Pt.Alberni yesterday and there were multiple people selling socks on the side of the road so there’s some fish around

I,ve been a member now for 1 year and haven’t posted anything yet, figured this is as good of time as any. Going to be at China creek on the 17 to the 25 of June this will be my second trip in the inlet (first this year) hopefully sockeyes will be out to play. I’m also looking for guidance on where can I safely go in an 18’ aluminum with a 115 to find some halibut. I’ve been looking forward to this ever since I got back home after the derby last year.

I,ve been a member now for 1 year and haven’t posted anything yet, figured this is as good of time as any. Going to be at China creek on the 17 to the 25 of June this will be my second trip in the inlet (first this year) hopefully sockeyes will be out to play. I’m also looking for guidance on where can I safely go in an 18’ aluminum with a 115 to find some halibut. I’ve been looking forward to this ever since I got back home after the derby last year.
If you pick your day, 1 metre or less with light winds you can go anywhere in a good ocean friendly 18 aluminum boat, be prepared for a long boat ride, 5 miles offshore of Beale is the probably the closest you will find Hali, the odd unicorn in the sound but too target Hali you need to hit the outer banks offshore of cape beale

I would have a long and good hard think before you start pondering going offshore to the outerbanks in an 18' foot boat.
Yes,it can be done but it isn't smart.
The weather can be quite fickle and let's not forget fog-radar?

Last edited:
I would have a long and good hard think before you start pondering going offshore to the outerbanks in an 18' foot boat.
Yes,it can be done but it isn't smart.
The weather can be quite fickle and let's not forget fog-radar?
All I am saying is definitely can be done without issues, need to pick your day, 5 miles bank is a 15 min run from Beale, would I go to the rats nose??? Nope. Big boat or small boat a radar is a must in my books, but lots don’t have them and still fish for Hali.now I am not sure what thin boat he has some are not great for going offshore( more lake boats then others.A good friend and long time retired member of this site guided out of PR in a 20ftCC nothwest and put a lot of Hali on the deck for his clients,. A bit bigger then 18. Back to pick your days, some days out there is like a big lake, common sense is a must lol. Oh and a 40 mile run from China Creek, so think about all that fuel, buying a chunk of Hali would definitely be safer and cheaper just saying

If you pick your day, 1 metre or less with light winds you can go anywhere in a good ocean friendly 18 aluminum boat, be prepared for a long boat ride, 5 miles offshore of Beale is the probably the closest you will find Hali, the odd unicorn in the sound but too target Hali you need to hit the outer banks offshore of cape beale
Thank you for the info I definitely will be on the lookout for for good condition and forecast, This might not even be an option for me if the better half can’t handle it!

I’ll be staying at China Creek around the same week as yours. Arriving on the 18th of June and leaving on 25th. Also thinking of picking a right day and fish around Bamfield. If you like pm me, perhaps we can do this trip same day and look out for each other. I’ll be in a 22’ aluminum with 250 HP.

I’ll be staying at China Creek around the same week as yours. Arriving on the 18th of June and leaving on 25th. Also thinking of picking a right day and fish around Bamfield. If you like pm me, perhaps we can do this trip same day and look out for each other. I’ll be in a 22’ aluminum with 250 HP.
I like the idea of safety in numbers I pm you.

Its the 5 miles of Hell between 10 mile point and roughly utukashit ( sorry don't have a map for the spelling) inlet that is the big problem, this time of year. It is thermal winds and blows up every nice sunny day. It can be a tough grind for even a 24 foot boat. I will be in the area as well. I run on Ch 06 and the boat is called Cannonball. Glad to help anyone out with fishing or weather reports.

I'll be coming up to China Creek June 23 to June 26. I might run out to Pill Point one day. Feel free to leave a note on my boat if anyone wants to chat or hang out one night.

Attachments

• 286084512_1652217301825773_9109480442504848858_n.jpeg
    286084512_1652217301825773_9109480442504848858_n.jpeg
    337.1 KB · Views: 109
  • 277592524_707789727133939_4304855256939182710_n.jpeg
    277592524_707789727133939_4304855256939182710_n.jpeg
    199.3 KB · Views: 106
Its the 5 miles of Hell between 10 mile point and roughly utukashit ( sorry don't have a map for the spelling) inlet that is the big problem, this time of year. It is thermal winds and blows up every nice sunny day. It can be a tough grind for even a 24 foot boat. I will be in the area as well. I run on Ch 06 and the boat is called Cannonball. Glad to help anyone out with fishing or weather reports.
Ya if your not comfortable running a 4 foot tight chop, don’t do it lol, early morning and late before dark usually lays down, I have done it probably 100 times, wth different boats, smallest being a 17 hourston, in the smaller boat I just hug the shore across from the bay and took it easy, in the big boat I just pound through in the middle, biggest problem is you can see the logs in the water when your running through there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back