2022 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Headed down in a few days can’t wait, I run a smaller boat wondering how calm have mornings been at the lighthouse? I usually stay inside but just wondering if most mornings have been pretty flat out there before the swells start rollling in ? Day to day for sure but just checking…thanks:)

Headed down in a few days can’t wait, I run a smaller boat wondering how calm have mornings been at the lighthouse? I usually stay inside but just wondering if most mornings have been pretty flat out there before the swells start rollling in ? Day to day for sure but just checking…thanks:)
You should be fine in the morning as the wind usually picks up in the early afternoon but sometimes earlier. You will know as you head down toward the lighthouse if there is any wind to worry about. We fished the stretch between the lighthouse and wash rock and Maquinna last week in some swells and we saw a few 14 -16 ft boats out there with no issues in that water you should be fine but watch if the wind does pick up. I have a 22ft Grady but I don’t like windy water as it’s a lot of work to fish in, good luck your timing in Nootka should be perfect.

You should be fine in the morning as the wind usually picks up in the early afternoon but sometimes earlier. You will know as you head down toward the lighthouse if there is any wind to worry about. We fished the stretch between the lighthouse and wash rock and Maquinna last week in some swells and we saw a few 14 -16 ft boats out there with no issues in that water you should be fine but watch if the wind does pick up. I have a 22ft Grady but I don’t like windy water as it’s a lot of work to fish in, good luck your timing in Nootka should be perfect.
Ok great appreciate that seahorse

Ya. You’ll be fine. Just decide once you get to the Lighthouse. Generally you’ll know by then. You may know before that at Vernaci Island at the turn by the Nav Marker. I’ve seen lots of 16 footers.

Just got back from a 5 day trip to Nootka(fished the 21st-25th AM). Stayed at Critter and ran to the ocean every day. I have a Alumaweld Blackhawk 202 and the swell was a bit much for some of the guys in my boat. Not huge but just really tight.

This is my 5th year fishing Nootka and it was the smallest fish year(besides the last morning, go figure) out of all the times I’ve fished the area. Lots of 4-6lb coho and low teens kings around.

The bite was sporadic inside: a 15 mins bite window at Camel at first light, a 20 mins bite window at Hoiss at tide change, etc. Every day was different, so we decided to capitalize on the “dumb ocean fish” even if the size wasn’t there, at least we knew that there’s a consistent bite if/when you find the fish.

We picked up two fish on bait the whole trip. The bite was focused around small hoochies/ace hi flies and WeeG spoons/coho killers. I was happy this was the case since everyone in Nootka is charging $18/tray for anchovies.

The last morning finally produced what you’d expect from Nootka: multiple 20+lb kings, some real ocean coho and a consistent 1.5 hour bite window where we seemed to have a fish on at all times.

My guess is that we missed the first push of fish and the second wave was just showing up as we were heading out of town. I’ll be adjusting my trip dates for next year by a week+ and we’ll see what happens.

Would someone please give me the coords to Wash Rock, or tell me how to visually identify it? It's between the Lighthouse and Maquinna Point, right?

Thanks.

youll have to enlarge.
Would someone please give me the coords to Wash Rock, or tell me how to visually identify it? It's between the Lighthouse and Maquinna Point, right?

Just got back from a 5 day trip to Nootka(fished the 21st-25th AM). Stayed at Critter and ran to the ocean every day. I have a Alumaweld Blackhawk 202 and the swell was a bit much for some of the guys in my boat. Not huge but just really tight.

This is my 5th year fishing Nootka and it was the smallest fish year(besides the last morning, go figure) out of all the times I’ve fished the area. Lots of 4-6lb coho and low teens kings around.

The bite was sporadic inside: a 15 mins bite window at Camel at first light, a 20 mins bite window at Hoiss at tide change, etc. Every day was different, so we decided to capitalize on the “dumb ocean fish” even if the size wasn’t there, at least we knew that there’s a consistent bite if/when you find the fish.

We picked up two fish on bait the whole trip. The bite was focused around small hoochies/ace hi flies and WeeG spoons/coho killers. I was happy this was the case since everyone in Nootka is charging $18/tray for anchovies.

The last morning finally produced what you’d expect from Nootka: multiple 20+lb kings, some real ocean coho and a consistent 1.5 hour bite window where we seemed to have a fish on at all times.

My guess is that we missed the first push of fish and the second wave was just showing up as we were heading out of town. I’ll be adjusting my trip dates for next year by a week+ and we’ll see what happens.

What are "kings" just ribbin ya , any trip in the sound is still a good trip

Sounds exactly like the first and second week of July. No change. On and off some times one day was hot and next zero. Although we had wet weather and you likely had dry weather.

Finishing our annual trip off staying at moutcha, limits on springs between 4 people and few coho (didnt try much for them). We got 5 springs this morning at hoiss with the biggest fish of the trip, 26.5lbs. Most of our fish were around 20lbs and were deeper this year for us 50-90ft at all times. Glow bloody nose behind a green flasher did it this morning, white everglow flash fly and skinny g spoons all worked for us as well. As always great times and great views. Goodluck to those on their way, should be picking up on the inside. Tight lines!

For you guys pulling Skinny Gs and Coho Killers, are you putting them behind a 360 flasher or inline flasher? Or just running them solo?

Question on Weather Reports: We are returning to Nootka Sound and beyond excited after several years away, staying at Critter Cove Sunday thru Friday. It looks like we hit the weather window for strong winds and rain next week, and while I like to fish outside my family are not big fans of lumpy seas. Curious what the veterans use for weather and wind / wave reports for this region. We plan to spot prawn for the first time this year, as in our home town we only get a 1 day / 4 hour season....any helpful tips on a good place & depth to set 2 traps would be appreciated. Shrimp were shallow this year in the Puget sound so I am unsure the depth to search for them in Nootka. Headed in Sunday so anyone who needs a part or some gear from town feel free shoot me a message ...... happy to bring it with us if we can be helpful.

For you guys pulling Skinny Gs and Coho Killers, are you putting them behind a 360 flasher or inline flasher? Or just running them solo?
last year the biggest chinook my group caught was on a green herring aide skinny g on a 6-7' leader behind your favorite 11" flasher. Anchovy's in a teaser head caught more fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back