2022 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staying at moutcha since thursday, will make another report at the end of our trip on the 28th. We have 7 springs total ( 15-23lbs )so far between the 4 of us and some coho. 5 springs were caught at hoiss but not great numbers on the inside yet. They seem to be slowly trickling inside. We caught 2 more springs this morning at wash rock/lighthouse along with the coho. Bait was working well along with a white everglow flash fly for the outside

Staying at moutcha since thursday, will make another report at the end of our trip on the 28th. We have 7 springs total ( 15-23lbs )so far between the 4 of us and some coho. 5 springs were caught at hoiss but not great numbers on the inside yet. They seem to be slowly trickling inside. We caught 2 more springs this morning at wash rock/lighthouse along with the coho. Bait was working well along with a white everglow flash fly for the outside
Very nice. Sadly our boat died upon launching at Moutcha. So no Critter Cove this year. How long of leader do you use with the flash fly?

Just got back from nootka, stayed at critter. Awesome place to stay. We fished from Wednesday to Saturday. Light house, Beano, Camel, hoiss and the wall. Biggest was 18lb spring at Camel. Lots of big fish on the inside but was very spotty to get a bite. Managed to box 8 nookies and 6 coho for the trip with 3 guys. Mornings were calm waters and blew in the afternoon. Cheers everyone in the next few weeks, hoping the bigger ones come through.

thanks,

anyone launching at Gold River on Tuesday morning? Running up to Tuta for a few days fishing. Was suppose to be 3 of us but one buddy hurt his back and had to bail. I’ll be running the boat in and my other buddy is driving in supplies. Planning on staying up there till after Aug long.
cheers. R
Who is running Tuta these day?
Cant still be Larry and Shirley?

Larry has been battling kidney disease for years, and he STILL takes care of Tuta. Very tough old guy, and a true gentleman. Larry and his son took my son David and I out for Halibut many years back when my son was 12. David got to reel in most of the 30 - 40 pd Halibut, and some salmon on the way in. We ended the day with lunch together. I do miss Larry and Shirley and all the weird and wonderful people who stay there.

Drewski

Hi all -

After a 2 year Covid hiatus, my fishing group is headed back to Nootka - July 26 to Aug 2nd.

My role with the group is to make sure we know the daily and possession rules.

Attached is my best understanding of the rules - anybody see anything obviously wrong?

Thank you all for looking at it.
Excellent job of laying out the regs in an understandabale manor—DFO’s website is an unintelligible joke. I did the same with a colour coded map and index beneath it with different possessions limits before I went up.

Hi all -

After a 2 year Covid hiatus, my fishing group is headed back to Nootka - July 26 to Aug 2nd.

My role with the group is to make sure we know the daily and possession rules.

Attached is my best understanding of the rules - anybody see anything obviously wrong?

Thank you all for looking at it.
Thanks for doing that easy to understand for quick reference

Just back from a quick trip.
There are fish around, just needed to work a bit. Best bite was yesterday am, maybe a sign of more to come.
Fish on the inside were dark, I’m sure a fresh batch will move in with every tide now.
Hit all the usual spots, Maquinna was good to us, beano was full of weeds unfortunately. Coho everywhere outside, decent size too.
Size average for springs was down from years past for us but still a bunch of good fighters in the teens.
50/50 chovies / white hootchie. Deeper then in the past for us 55/65.
Good weather, good company, good fishing, great trip.

Attachments

• 86912F21-F396-421F-BDB8-5CF0B773AF13.jpeg
    86912F21-F396-421F-BDB8-5CF0B773AF13.jpeg
    89.6 KB · Views: 59
Thanks for doing that easy to understand for quick reference
Thank you, and thanks for everyone who looked at it. At this point, it's been viewed 120 times and I haven't heard of any major corrections....

But please don't treat it as official. It's the best I could do with the various sources of info.

Good luck out there!

How’s the bait supply at Moutcha?

Was up at Critter July20-24. Such an awesome place. Fishing inside was spotty but successful mostly at Hoiss in the morning. Afternoon bite and evenings inside were duds. Fog banks rolled in on the 21st and kept us inside as we did t have radar and we picked up some nice springs at Hoiss - 17&18. On Saturday we hit the lighthouse and it was on fire. We boated 9 fish - 5 springs and 4 coho before noon. Lots of fish were taken that day by many boats. With 3 guys we picked up 11 spring and 5 coho - friends of ours had 11 and 12. Biggest was a 20 caught at the lighthouse. We tried bait and only caught one. Most were caught on gear using the coho killer and wee gee. Bait inside the fish was tiny like a coho killer. Inside fishing should turn on soon.

Picked up a couple of 21lbs and a 22lb this morning down from camel towards to the wall. A buddies boat also got three around the same. All were deep 50-90ft. Decently fresh, they seem to be startin to make their way in. Will be heading outside in the morning for more and try some bottom fishing.

Fishing has been good this week at Port Eliza. Strong NW winds have limited effort for bottom fish but salmon fishing has been very good. We welcomed Robert and Lori Bosa, Marco Ianuzzi, ex grey cup winning receiver for the BC Lions, and George Chykra who heads up the Lions promotions team. They did well on Salmon at Sandstone, Pin Rocks and a few at Rosa on the inside. We have a few Bring your own boat spots left in July and the first part of August. If you are looking to get out to the West Coast to Fish , contact Robert to book.20220723_145029.jpg

Last edited:
Fishing has been good this week at Port Eliza. Strong NW winds have limited effort for bottom fish but salmon fishing has been very good. We welcomed Robert and Lori Bosa, Marco Ianuzzi, View attachment 82837 ex grey cup winning receiver for the BC Lions, and George Chykra who heads up the Lions promotions team. They did well on Salmon at Sandstone, Pin Rocks and a few at Rosa on the inside. We have a few Bring your 9wn boat spots left in July and the first part of August. If you are looking to get out to the West Coast to Fish , contact Robert to bLions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back