2022 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fished Espy starting 7/6 for 4 days. Shorts and flip flops to full on rain gear. Excellent clear mostly flat water. What bait i saw was tiny, and bellies full of small stuff, so i ran small spoons… Skinny G, Coho Killers. Fished Grassy to Ferrer with a few unamed rocks producing a fish each pass…. Tub out on Springs for 4 guys and very close on Hali and Lings….

Love the place and the people ;-)
7C24CB33-EC5B-49A7-82E1-7578ECE36849.jpeg

Fished Espy starting 7/6 for 4 days. Shorts and flip flops to full on rain gear. Excellent clear mostly flat water. What bait i saw was tiny, and bellies full of small stuff, so i ran small spoons… Skinny G, Coho Killers. Fished Grassy to Ferrer with a few unamed rocks producing a fish each pass…. Tub out on Springs for 4 guys and very close on Hali and Lings….

Love the place and the people ;-)
View attachment 82171
There’s my ole Hourston sliding in passed Magic…

Is it safe to travel behind Catala Island if heading to Tatchu Pt? Or is it recommended to travel around it down by low rock?
Yes, you can head up the rolling roadstead on the north side of Catala. Pay close attention to your GPS and maintain visuals - lots of rocks and reefs. Expect big swells when you reach High Rock as it shallows up to 40 feet or so all the way past Tatchu so give the point a wide berth. You will see other boats heading through there on their way to Sandstone, Clear Passage, etc.

We found everybody fishing pretty well from the Lighthouse to Beano. And the area is producing well most days. I was watching the inside and saw maybe two boats the 6 days we were there fishing around San Carlos. So yesterday one guy we know in camp tells me he can’t fish in rough water with his wife so he sticks inside only. He says he fished Hoiss a few hours and nailed 2 x 19 lbers’s on chovies. Weird but true. I guess they’re moving inside already. We spent 3 afternoons off shore for Hali with zero result. Picked up a nice 16lb Ling tho. Back up Monday for another tour.
We picked up a 20 & a 15 in the last hour of daylight on Sunday evening at Hoiss.

Great thread here, I read the whole thing! Not to hijack, feel free to tell me to post a different thread if that makes most sense, but my questions are specific to Nootka. I will be there the week of August 15-19 with my wife, my buddy and his 8 year old daughter. We're staying at Moutcha Bay resort and renting one of their rental boats (18-foot aluminum center console Quay Craft) for a couple days. I'm entirely a freshwater guy and have a fair bit of experience in a 14' on the lakes around the Island, but have never piloted a boat in the chuck. Actually, only fished saltwater twice - once off Nanoose, once off Port McNeil, guided both times. Most of my salmon fishing has been river, including the Conuma. Do have my PCOC and will be brushing up ahead of time. We'll be trolling for Salmon on the inside waters most likely. I believe they don't allow the rental boats more than 1km off the surf line on the outside anyway. Any tips for areas a couple newbs can try to have some reasonable success on the inside, without getting in over our heads or being a general PITA to the other boats in the area? Or for that matter, general etiquette if it gets crowded, which I expect it will in August? Feel free to lay fishing tips on us too, but have already got a lot of great ones from this thread already. If there is anything specific to the time we will be there or area we'll be fishing, feel free to let me know.

Checked in to Nootka cabins around 6pm tonight after missing our ferry from Vancouver this morning.

Headed out to the Lighthouse for the evening bite and hooked into 7 or 8 Coho in the 3-6lb range and one 11 pound Chinook.
Everglow Ghost Flash Fly was the best producer. Chinook hit on 51/4" bait. A great first evennig of fishing. Now we just need to get into someb bigger Chinook and we're laughing.

As we docked the boat my dad unfortunately just f***ed it and hit the kicker into the dock breaking the metal rod which connects the kicker to the piston which is moved by our panther remote kicker steering system.

Wondering if anyone has any intel on on any boat mechanics in the area, or a welder or happens to have brought a spare rod for their panther unit they'd be willing to part with. I'll just a photo of it tomorrow. It would be a 5 minute weld job or i imagine nay boat mechanic would have apiece of rod that could jimmy rig it together.

Thanks

Checked in to Nootka cabins around 6pm tonight after missing our ferry from Vancouver this morning.

Headed out to the Lighthouse for the evening bite and hooked into 7 or 8 Coho in the 3-6lb range and one 11 pound Chinook.
Everglow Ghost Flash Fly was the best producer. Chinook hit on 51/4" bait. A great first evennig of fishing. Now we just need to get into someb bigger Chinook and we're laughing.

As we docked the boat my dad unfortunately just f***ed it and hit the kicker into the dock breaking the metal rod which connects the kicker to the piston which is moved by our panther remote kicker steering system.

Wondering if anyone has any intel on on any boat mechanics in the area, or a welder or happens to have brought a spare rod for their panther unit they'd be willing to part with. I'll just a photo of it tomorrow. It would be a 5 minute weld job or i imagine nay boat mechanic would have apiece of rod that could jimmy rig it together.

Thanks
Moutcha has a mechanic on staff

Great thread here, I read the whole thing! Not to hijack, feel free to tell me to post a different thread if that makes most sense, but my questions are specific to Nootka. I will be there the week of August 15-19 with my wife, my buddy and his 8 year old daughter. We're staying at Moutcha Bay resort and renting one of their rental boats (18-foot aluminum center console Quay Craft) for a couple days. I'm entirely a freshwater guy and have a fair bit of experience in a 14' on the lakes around the Island, but have never piloted a boat in the chuck. Actually, only fished saltwater twice - once off Nanoose, once off Port McNeil, guided both times. Most of my salmon fishing has been river, including the Conuma. Do have my PCOC and will be brushing up ahead of time. We'll be trolling for Salmon on the inside waters most likely. I believe they don't allow the rental boats more than 1km off the surf line on the outside anyway. Any tips for areas a couple newbs can try to have some reasonable success on the inside, without getting in over our heads or being a general PITA to the other boats in the area? Or for that matter, general etiquette if it gets crowded, which I expect it will in August? Feel free to lay fishing tips on us too, but have already got a lot of great ones from this thread already. If there is anything specific to the time we will be there or area we'll be fishing, feel free to let me know.
Nootka timing changes a bit year to year. You’ll be just outside the window for the prime inside fishing most likely as Chinook get lock jaw and tend not to bite as much 2nd week of August, so you’ll need to just ask those who have been there a while where the bites have been and what time. If they say there’s a bite at first light, it means it’s at first light, early, and only for an hour perhaps. If you are renting at Moutcha the guides should be friendly and they’ll be able to help too, don’t be afraid to chat them up. They’ll likely be running to the outside but they can still give you tips. Glow white hootchie or that Everglo flash fly are good options for Nootka. Chovies work too, but take some practice to dial in if the fish are being really selective. Crowds wise, it won’t be too bad that time of August, but most likely will be gill nets set in various spots if they are still looking for their quota. Look for the surface floats, stay clear of them and you’ll be fine. Keep checking the reports closer to your trip to gauge more of what is working before your trip and what times of the day the bites are. Good luck! It’s a fun place to fish and explore, especially near the outside, even if it’s slow fishing.

Nootka timing changes a bit year to year. You’ll be just outside the window for the prime inside fishing most likely as Chinook get lock jaw and tend not to bite as much 2nd week of August, so you’ll need to just ask those who have been there a while where the bites have been and what time. If they say there’s a bite at first light, it means it’s at first light, early, and only for an hour perhaps. If you are renting at Moutcha the guides should be friendly and they’ll be able to help too, don’t be afraid to chat them up. They’ll likely be running to the outside but they can still give you tips. Glow white hootchie or that Everglo flash fly are good options for Nootka. Chovies work too, but take some practice to dial in if the fish are being really selective. Crowds wise, it won’t be too bad that time of August, but most likely will be gill nets set in various spots if they are still looking for their quota. Look for the surface floats, stay clear of them and you’ll be fine. Keep checking the reports closer to your trip to gauge more of what is working before your trip and what times of the day the bites are. Good luck! It’s a fun place to fish and explore, especially near the outside, even if it’s slow fishing.
Thanks! I'm hoping maybe the coho will be starting to move inside by then, just based on the luck we had in the river last year. Hit our possession limit over 3 days, course that was in September.

Thanks! I'm hoping maybe the coho will be starting to move inside by then, just based on the luck we had in the river last year. Hit our possession limit over 3 days, course that was in September.
There will be plenty of salmon still to catch when you are there. The crowds will indicate the hot spots. You can take the rental to most of the good spots on the outside around the lighthouse. I think Beno Creek is just off limit. But you dont need to go that far anyway; wash rock, maquinna, lighthouse - plenty water if the seas are calm. With an 8y old onboard you want to stay inside if its swelly and definitely take a light jigging rod and a few buzz bombs or other jigs - kids love it and every structure im Nootka will have at least some rock fish. It gets better the further you get to the outside.

Thanks
There's a boat mechanic in Tahsis who does welding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back