2022 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was in Esperanza last week fished mon-wed. Monday went North to Mushroom (I think thats what it was called) for salmon and then went out a bit for Ling. Managed to net a 20 that was following a smaller one my buddy brought up. Tuesday fished low rock for salmon did well there. Then drifted for a while looking to pick up a hali but no luck. Was getting a bit rough for us so ripped back across and put lines down near Black rock and started hitting salmon ling and hali. Unreal, so much fun. Wednesday was a repeat at low rock in the morning then as conditions were near perfect we shot out about 8 miles and did a bit of jigging out there. Incredible scenery out there, looked like Hawaii looking back to the island. Stopped at black rock again on the way in and trolled up another chicken there. We brought some anchovies and when they ran out switched to herring aid spoon and hootchies. All of them got hits.
We had two boats each have a scotty rod holder snap off. First was Monday on another boat, snagged bottom while drifting and couldnt grab the rod quick enough. Guess who lent them that rod and reel lol. Second one was my boat I just set the gear down trolling for salmon, sat down looked back all was gone. Got the rod back that time as the clip held the line. Going to replace all old ones this week. Only my second time there what a great place!
This time we launched in Zeballos instead of Gold River and the gravel road was no problem at that time.

Anyone have current (ish) info on the gas price at Critter, and if their credit/debit system is working? Or still cash only?
Thanks!

Their debit/VISA machine worked fine last year. I've never paid cash. This year you'd need need to take $5K in cash for a week of fuel.
Thanks…. They were having some issues and were cash only within the last couple weeks. And agreed, the fuel bills will be hefty this year. We’re just planning out last few things for our upcoming trip. I’ll report back once we get ahold of critter, haven’t been able to over the last couple days. Thought there might be some local knowledge on here.

Thanks for the phone number Walleyes… I too was able to fire up the Google machine and figure that one out. What a time to be alive eh?

will post a trip report when we get back

Thanks…. They were having some issues and were cash only within the last couple weeks. And agreed, the fuel bills will be hefty this year. We’re just planning out last few things for our upcoming trip. I’ll report back once we get ahold of critter, haven’t been able to over the last couple days. Thought there might be some local knowledge on here.

Thanks for the phone number Walleyes… I too was able to fire up the Google machine and figure that one out. What a time to be alive eh?

will post a trip report when we get back
2.35/l. Electronic works

Just got back from the Halibut Hustle at Critter Cove. Absolutely tremendous time there again. The fishing was great and we were able to get offshore for bottom fish a couple of days. Ended up with our 3 Hali’s all over 90 cm, and released a couple of unders. Lots of lings. Salmon fishing was very good for us, with good numbers and decent sized fish to 20 lbs. Released a lot of them. They were found in most of the normal spots on the outside, in tight to the rocks. Also found a bunch of them off Maquinna in the 90 - 100 foot shelf slightly offshore, right down in the mud. Only a few sporadic Coho . Gas at Critter was $2.34.9, which in today’s day and age was a real pleasant surprise as compared some stories out there. Credit card machine was working fine, no problems.
As always, another special few days out at Critter.
I should add that most of the salmon action came on Skinny G spoons, and needle fish hoochies along with white "Casper" hoochies. The 2 under 90 cm hali's were both caught and released while trolling for salmon incidentally.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back