2022 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another day trip to Nootka. 4 springs, 4 lings and a chicken. All from Wash Rock area trolling tiger prawn cuttlefish and cop car and herring aid skinny g in the mud.
Smaller 17 - 18 ft boats can safely launch with about a 3 ft tide. Larger boats require about 5 ft tides. The ramp is very good, just that there are a few nuggets about half way down the channel before you get to the deep water. Good luck on your trip…
I need some information on parking at the GR launch. I will be launching and running my boat to Tahsis by myself and will return the same day to drive my truck/trailer to Tahsis. Can someone tell me if there are restricted hours on the fenced parking there. I anticipate getting back to the parking at 4 or 5 PM. I contacted Yuquot.ca email and didn’t receive a reply. Thanks

I need some information on parking at the GR launch. I will be launching and running my boat to Tahsis by myself and will return the same day to drive my truck/trailer to Tahsis. Can someone tell me if there are restricted hours on the fenced parking there. I anticipate getting back to the parking at 4 or 5 PM. I contacted Yuquot.ca email and didn’t receive a reply. Thanks
They are normally there late in the pm. I’ve launched at 6 pm. I think they are open 24 hours a day during the peak months (supposedly). But a couple of times to be honest I’ve arrived there nobody was there so I launched boat parked left a note on my window and paid on return. The gate was open. Not 100 % but I think you’ll be ok. I guess you could always park on the road?

I was just out at the Gold River ramp on Sunday, and spoke with the lady running the show that day as I paid for my season pass. She advised that they open up at 5 AM daily, and close down at 10 PM daily. Whether or not it actually happens that way is anyone's guess, but they do run a pretty good show out there. You shouldn't have any problems at all with the times that you mentioned.

I was just out at the Gold River ramp on Sunday, and spoke with the lady running the show that day as I paid for my season pass. She advised that they open up at 5 AM daily, and close down at 10 PM daily. Whether or not it actually happens that way is anyone's guess, but they do run a pretty good show out there. You shouldn't have any problems at all with the times that you mentioned.
Thanks for the posts, I’m flying back to GR on the Air Nootka mail run, walking to the parking and didn’t want to get stuck there with no transportation if the parking was locked. I’m much better now. Thanks again

Just got back from my first trip to Nootka. 6 guys two boat and all of us came home with our possession limit of springs and everyone had at least a coho or two. there was also 3 nice ling caught. Weather was wet ( understatement) it poured on us and windy. Saturday was our best day weather and fishing wise. Sorry first time fishing this area so I don’t know where we were fishing is called but we were staying at Nootka Cabins, did most of our fishing by the lighthouse and we did get out to Wash rock.

Attachments

• FA2C7B9B-A028-4B73-BB03-F0CED4DE14D8.jpeg
    FA2C7B9B-A028-4B73-BB03-F0CED4DE14D8.jpeg
    428.9 KB · Views: 337
  • F29C987E-81EB-495A-8914-1902D1D40457.jpeg
    F29C987E-81EB-495A-8914-1902D1D40457.jpeg
    505.6 KB · Views: 326
  • C0BBE051-F370-4892-8EBD-8209C3966377.jpeg
    C0BBE051-F370-4892-8EBD-8209C3966377.jpeg
    439.4 KB · Views: 339
Just got back from my first trip to Nootka. 6 guys two boat and all of us came home with our possession limit of springs and everyone had at least a coho or two. there was also 3 nice ling caught. Weather was wet ( understatement) it poured on us and windy. Saturday was our best day weather and fishing wise. Sorry first time fishing this area so I don’t know where we were fishing is called but we were staying at Nootka Cabins, did most of our fishing by the lighthouse and we did get out to Wash rock.
Great job! What bait/lure was working for you? THanks!

HB

great report ! looks wet but worth it ;-)

Definitely worth it... we were fishing between 35-60' on the down riggers, one rod on the bottom and one up high. Caught most on my No Banana's spoon, and white hootichie. We also got a couple on plugs white with colored dots.

Got out to Nootka just in time for the monsoon season on Thursday. Bounced around in the southwesterlies Friday and Saturday out at Wash. Much calmer Sunday morning. Ended up with six spring (mostly deep on Jughead hootchies though only three of any size. Also a bunch of chicken halibut, ling and a Cabazon, The 'anti-highlight' came on Sunday morning when we tried for one last time for halibut and may have set a Nootka record for catching (and releasing) five skate in about an hour. We thought the first one was bottom and tied off the 80 lb braid and pulled away hoping to free it or break it. Instead, we looked out to see a massive skate 'waterskiing 140 feet behind the boat. The next four were less amusing.

I look forward to being at the Halibut Hustle again this year too. Hopefully the weather will be better this year. Will probably see you there.... I think that the reg's should be pretty similar this year to what they were last year over there. That will be the first of 4 trips to Critter for us again this year. Always fun and a very special place to be....
Glad to see you made it though winter pacemaker. What are your Nootka plans for 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back