2022 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
100 day count down is on! I’ve fished the usual spots, but would like to try out at the ammo dump this year. I’m not looking for numbers or spots, just if it’s worth it to head that far off shore, what the chances of getting a decent hali or ling would be kinda thing. I would happily exchange information. Thanks! See you on the water in July!

100 day count down is on! I’ve fished the usual spots, but would like to try out at the ammo dump this year. I’m not looking for numbers or spots, just if it’s worth it to head that far off shore, what the chances of getting a decent hali or ling would be kinda thing. I would happily exchange information. Thanks! See you on the water in July!
Should be a good trip for you out at Nootka in July. Fishing will be great, and normally the weather is pretty stable then too. That being said, the ammo dump is a long way to go. It’s a long way off-shore, and you are driving past several other cod and Hali spots to get there. If you do decide to try your luck there, you will probably discover that it is mainly a ling cod and rock cod spot, not so much for Hali’s.
As with most off-shore spots, it is very much dependent upon the weather. Just because it is nice when you head out there, doesn’t mean that it will stay nice. It blows up quickly out there which makes for a really long hair-raising trip back, no matter what size boat you are in. Always best to go with a buddy boat.
We will be at Nootka in July too, may see you there. Good luck on your trip…

Last edited:
Should be a good trip for you out at Nootka in July. Fishing will be great, and normally the weather is pretty stable then too. That being said, the ammo dump is a long way to go. It’s a long way off-shore, and you are driving past several other cod and Hali spots to get there. If you do decide to try your luck there, you will probably discover that it is mainly a ling cod and rock cod spot, not so much for Hali’s.
As with most off-shore spots, it is very much dependent upon the weather. Just because it is nice when you head out there, doesn’t mean that it will stay nice. It blows up quickly out there which makes for a really long hair-raising trip back, no matter what size boat you are in. Always best to go with a buddy boat.
We will be there in July too, may see you there. Good luck on your trip…
Thanks for the info, I’ve been offshore a lot, and am well aware what the weather can do, thanks for the concern tho. Last year I tried for halis off bajo and didn’t have much luck and chatting with other boats seemed like the ammo dump was the place to try. Thanks again, see you out there

Hello everyone! First time on here...

I am heading up to moutcha bay resort with my family may 4-8th.. I'm looking for a little help on possible prawn spots and crab spots. also is there any halibut/ling cod in the sound? or do you have to go off shore? thanks in advance

I am heading up to moutcha bay resort with my family may 4-8th.. I'm looking for a little help on possible prawn spots and crab spots. also is there any halibut/ling cod in the sound? or do you have to go off shore? thanks in advance

The staff at Moutcha are normally quite helpful. Check with them and they should show you on the chart where to put your crab and prawn traps. For crabs, try off the mouth of the Conuma River which is immediately beside the resort, or at the mouth of Head Bay which is just around the corner. Prawn traps are normally scattered around Moutcha Bay in the deep water close to the various bluffs. Very few lings and virtually no hali's in the Sound itself. Have to go outside for those. Again, the staff at Moutcha will put some X's on the chart for you in that regard. Good luck on your trip.

Anybody got a sense for how brackish the water is at the Gold River launch? I launch my boat there twice a year and want to assess the impact the salt may be having on my trailer. The trailer doesn’t seem to have any obvious rust at all and the brakes are working fine. The brakes/bearings/speedy sleeves were redone 3 years ago (12 splashes total since then). I always fresh water hose the trailer post dunking. I’m thinking it’s mostly fresh water given the River seems to always be flowing outbound to sea and fact it’s at the end of Muchalat.

Anybody got a sense for how brackish the water is at the Gold River launch? I launch my boat there twice a year and want to assess the impact the salt may be having on my trailer. The trailer doesn’t seem to have any obvious rust at all and the brakes are working fine. The brakes/bearings/speedy sleeves were redone 3 years ago (12 splashes total since then). I always fresh water hose the trailer post dunking. I’m thinking it’s mostly fresh water given the River seems to always be flowing outbound to sea and fact it’s at the end of Muchalat.

there is a hose at the top of the launch on the right hand side to quickly rinse your brakes and trailer if you have time. if there’s a line of guys coming and going you might get a few odd looks.

I taste-tested it a few times and it is totally freshwater during any ebb but during a strong flood it can be slightly brackish.

Hello everyone, wonder if i can get some info? i have a group of guys heading out to Nootka for the first weekend in June and we will be launching our boats from Gold River. I have never fished out there or launched from Gold River, do we need a high tide or what do the tide have to be like? Thank you.

I have a 24' and use 1.0 m as the minimum water needed. I find that less than this shortens the wharf and makes it challenging to get out of the river.

Hello everyone, wonder if i can get some info? i have a group of guys heading out to Nootka for the first weekend in June and we will be launching our boats from Gold River. I have never fished out there or launched from Gold River, do we need a high tide or what do the tide have to be like? Thank you.
Smaller 17 - 18 ft boats can safely launch with about a 3 ft tide. Larger boats require about 5 ft tides. The ramp is very good, just that there are a few nuggets about half way down the channel before you get to the deep water. Good luck on your trip…

I’ve launched in 2 feet but 3 is best (I’m 23 feet). Every year the River seems to change a bit with runoff. As stated be mindful around the seaplane dock. Don’t get too close to it as there’s a rock in the area below the surface. Mid channel should be fine. Personally I keep my motor tilted up with prop just in the water till I get past the seaplane dock. Good luck. Let us know how you do. That’s early season and will be interesting to hear results.

Thanks for the advice gentlemen, looks like we will need at least 3' of water as both boats we are taking are 21-22 '. Will keep you posted with fishing conditions.

Where you staying? I'm thinking of heading out there June 5th - 10th?

Cheers, Rob

Thanks for the advice gentlemen, looks like we will need at least 3' of water as both boats we are taking are 21-22 '. Will keep you posted with fishing conditions.
plan for about 1 1/2 hours from CR to GR to time the tides. it’s less than that, but dragging a boat, and there’s always a bit of tomfoolery at the GR launch i plan for hour and a half

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back