Status
Not open for further replies.
Wondering if anyone has luck with Apex lures? I have a few left over from my days fishing with my grandpa. They were deadly off Sooke/Victoria back in the day.
Hopefully going out with the family tomorrow evening if the wind dies down. Anyone having luck finding coho or even pinks around? Springs seem to hard to find for me the last couple times out.
Try off the grande if you have time, or aren’t having luck anywhere else, been good to me in the past week, got out a few times and it’s always produced fish. Green spoon and white hootchies. Down 125 - 145 in 130 - 160 fow.

I carry three colors of Apex lures in my drawer for those days they're just not biting anything else. It doesn't seem to help the situation. Maybe if I threw one out when they ARE biting I'd have a better opinion of them.
I used to have that opinion of hoochies until I went with guys who used them when the fishing was actually good. The small limits around here don't really help you try out new gear under good conditions unless you play catch and release after getting your keepers.

First boat I fished on back in the 70’s was with a guy named Craig Dickson, he was the one that invented the apex. Because he used to fish with Jack Gaunt who by then sold his troller and was manufacturing Hot Spot Lures, he and Jack refined it and Jack started manufacturing them. We never used the ones you bought in a sporting goods store, like the ones with the prism tape. We would get Jack to airbrush them plug colours like a 101, or 232 etc.

Got out for a nice evening fish with the family. Beautiful evening on the water. Started at Clark and trolled to Neck Point. Marked some bait but nothing. Pulled the lines and did a bit of jigging off Neck Point. Still nothing. Motored down to Pipers and started trolling. Tons of bait. Boiling on the surface. Lost 3 pin poppers next to the boat ( good size fish cause I bury the clips), one on each pass by Pipers. Tight to the rocks. 120’ on the riggers. Crome spoon with the tiniest bit of green left on it got all the hits.
Long story short is I’m batting 0 for 5 on the last few times out. Not good. Family was not happy with me.

Crazy action at the launch when leaving. Conservative officers were confiscating a Grady (I think). Heard that they were caught in an RCA and tried to dump 2 oversized fish.

Got out for a nice evening fish with the family. Beautiful evening on the water. Started at Clark and trolled to Neck Point. Marked some bait but nothing. Pulled the lines and did a bit of jigging off Neck Point. Still nothing. Motored down to Pipers and started trolling. Tons of bait. Boiling on the surface. Lost 3 pin poppers next to the boat ( good size fish cause I bury the clips), one on each pass by Pipers. Tight to the rocks. 120’ on the riggers. Crome spoon with the tiniest bit of green left on it got all the hits.
Long story short is I’m batting 0 for 5 on the last few times out. Not good. Family was not happy with me.

Crazy action at the launch when leaving. Conservative officers were confiscating a Grady (I think). Heard that they were caught in an RCA and tried to dump 2 oversized fish.
Sucks about your bad luck, it’s bound to improve soon.

I’m stoked to finally hear of some enforcement action. Some sketchy stuff seems to happen around here even with area 17 having the most infractions written up of anywhere in BC

Sounds like your fam needs to be better on the net ;) . Jokes aside, happens to everyone, hot streaks, cold streaks, they all end at some point.

Darn! Missed all the action at the ramp, what time was that at? When i stopped by in the evening to pickup crab bait there were 2 rcmp vehicles driving around the lot. Sorry to hear your unlucky streak, it happens to all of us but you'll get em next time!

Darn! Missed all the action at the ramp, what time was that at? When i stopped by in the evening to pickup crab bait there were 2 rcmp vehicles driving around the lot. Sorry to hear your unlucky streak, it happens to all of us but you'll get em next time!
It was around 7:30pm. The action/boat was up by the wash station.
Creel surveyor said slow day. He only had a few fish written down.

Sucks about your bad luck, it’s bound to improve soon.

I’m stoked to finally hear of some enforcement action. Some sketchy stuff seems to happen around here even with area 17 having the most infractions written up of anywhere in BC
Thanks. Two were weird strikes. Rod just bouncing. Set hook and fish takes one or two runs. Then just goes to the surface, couple jumps and flops like a shaker. No fight just dead weight. Somehow the hook pops as I am dragging him on the surface. Weird.

Yeah glad they caught him. Follow the rules it’s not hard.

Thanks. Two were weird strikes. Rod just bouncing. Set hook and fish takes one or two runs. Then just goes to the surface, couple jumps and flops like a shaker. No fight just dead weight. Somehow the hook pops as I am dragging him on the surface. Weird.

Yeah glad they caught him. Follow the rules it’s not hard.
We did manage 2 this evening, but holy cow, was our retention rate terrible. I don't know how many good strikes we had that didn't stick or only made it half way in. We did hit one wild coho, so maybe some of those misses were those; they seem to strike funny and get off more regularly.

Great night on the water today. Thanks to @Bearded wonder we headed straight for pipers to jig around 6pm. Lots of scattered bait but current and wind were moving us too fast to jig so we ended up heading out off the fingers and trolling.

At the fingers we trolled one large plug and a green flasher with a small pink hootchie. Started at 90 and 120 and immediately started getting Pink's so went deeper. We worked down to 225 feet and found steady action and put one 65cm fish in the box.

At around 8pm just after the sun went down we decided to head back to Piper's and give it another rub. Current and wind had slowed and the bait was STACKED. Jigged for a bit and snagged a 7 inch Herring. Decided to switch back to trolling and put one rod out with a Tomic 602 6" plug at 55 feet in 60 feet of water trolling at 4mph along the edge of the bait and immediately hooked up, ended up losing the fish at the boat. Saw lots of big marks on the sounder so switched back to jigging even though it was pretty much pitch dark. It was now pretty much pitch dark and we gripped and played a few more and eventually killed another mid slot fish. Great fun trying net fish in the dark when we could only see the glow jigs.

Gone away for the long weekend but hopefully these fish stick around a bit longer. Blessed to have fishing this good right in our backyards. 10/10

Looks like a mess of boats out there right now hopefully someone gets into some big ones!

Am I just confused on the regulations? I thought chinook fishing was done August 31, but as I peruse the regulations, I see it is still open. Was there a change, or am i just on glue? At times, I find the regulations quite confusing. I do see that some sub-areas are closed.

Last edited:
Am I just confused on the regulations? I thought chinook fishing was done August 31, but as I peruse the regulations, I see it is still open. Was there a change, or am i just on glue? At times, I find the regulations quite confusing. I do see that some sub-areas are closed.
Looks pretty straightforward to me on this page and sub-pages?

this is what i follow, but i was sure a month or so ago i saw that chinook was closed on Aug 31. I suppose I was merely mistaken
The regs until August 31 were 1 spring, 62-80cm. That regulation ended Aug 31 so that's what it showed. It's sort of common knowledge that a new regulation would take it's place September 1, but this was invisible until the morning of Sept 1. You're not going crazy. It's just an imperfect system.

The regs until August 31 were 1 spring, 62-80cm. That regulation ended Aug 31 so that's what it showed. It's sort of common knowledge that a new regulation would take it's place September 1, but this was invisible until the morning of Sept 1. You're not going crazy. It's just an imperfect system.
1662179252673.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back