Status
Not open for further replies.
I know!! I took my wife out on Tuesday. She was not impressed.
We caught a few unders at the fingers before calling it quits!!
Having a tough time targeting anything of size.

The wind eased, so managed to get out last night for the tide change/ night bite with my father in law. Was going to run to Entrance, but still bumpy for him; fished Fingers. Got our 2 springs at 140 feet and released a lot of smalls and 1 nice unclipped coho. A few other boats around including 3 guys jigging in 40 feet who managed their 3 springs in less than 2 hours.
This year has got to be the smallest average size I've ever had in 18 years of fishing here; the slot limit has been basically a non-issue. Regardless, great to be back in my home waters catching fish 5 min from the dock.

Well as I sit here and watch the 18kn sh*t winds blow and the white caps stack up on the pipers cam, I might as well drop an overdue report. Fishing this year out of Nanaimo has been the best I’ve ever seen for chinook in the over 10 years I’ve been fishing these waters. I remember 4-5 years back in the summer you would struggle to find a single chinook keeper in a 4 hour shift or even a full day. It was very common to not bring a keeper back on many trips in the summer. Luckily the coho used to be good so that used to make up for it. Now that the coho runs seem to have all but disappeared in the straight, it’s sure nice to see the huge numbers of chinook in our local waters. Another thing I’ve noticed is the massive amounts of herring schools in the area, which was something that was again rare to see this time of year let alone almost daily. Some of the bait balls have been so thick a lot of times the sonar thinks its the bottom. And typically when you see those bait schools, there’s a good chance there’s some springs feeding on them. I’ve fished exclusively out front, five fingers, pipers and neck. Have not had to go to entrance once this year, as the abundance of fish in close has been excellent. The average sizes is smaller than previous years, most keepers I’ve picked up have been in the mid 60’s to mid 70’s, but still great fights. Spoons down 165-200 have been the ticket. Also when trying to keep the 14-15” springs off a 6” plug does some good damage on some days, other days not a sniff. To be able to limit out 3-4 people and go in early at this time of year in nanaimo used to be pretty much unheard of. We should start to see more local mature fish coming through so let’s hope the bait and fish stick around and Hogaust lives up to it’s name! Tight lines.
Also the last picture is my future charter boat, just a few more trips, I keep telling myself.
340CBFE8-4ECF-4495-805A-2D0571A3D609.jpeg1AEDD632-AFBB-41DD-AB8D-A2F2050A867B.jpeg7205CF2E-6CCE-423A-8C92-F8A7720BAF3A.jpeg7BC1F7D2-85AB-43A8-B26C-0DD80CC06D7D.jpeg81393780-97FC-4D6F-B642-9A04647AD66F.jpeg

Well as I sit here and watch the 18kn sh*t winds blow and the white caps stack up on the pipers cam, I might as well drop an overdue report. Fishing this year out of Nanaimo has been the best I’ve ever seen for chinook in the over 10 years I’ve been fishing these waters. I remember 4-5 years back in the summer you would struggle to find a single chinook keeper in a 4 hour shift or even a full day. It was very common to not bring a keeper back on many trips in the summer. Luckily the coho used to be good so that used to make up for it. Now that the coho runs seem to have all but disappeared in the straight, it’s sure nice to see the huge numbers of chinook in our local waters. Another thing I’ve noticed is the massive amounts of herring schools in the area, which was something that was again rare to see this time of year let alone almost daily. Some of the bait balls have been so thick a lot of times the sonar thinks its the bottom. And typically when you see those bait schools, there’s a good chance there’s some springs feeding on them. I’ve fished exclusively out front, five fingers, pipers and neck. Have not had to go to entrance once this year, as the abundance of fish in close has been excellent. The average sizes is smaller than previous years, most keepers I’ve picked up have been in the mid 60’s to mid 70’s, but still great fights. Spoons down 165-200 have been the ticket. Also when trying to keep the 14-15” springs off a 6” plug does some good damage on some days, other days not a sniff. To be able to limit out 3-4 people and go in early at this time of year in nanaimo used to be pretty much unheard of. We should start to see more local mature fish coming through so let’s hope the bait and fish stick around and Hogaust lives up to it’s name! Tight lines.
Also the last picture is my future charter boat, just a few more trips, I keep telling myself.
View attachment 83262View attachment 83263View attachment 83264View attachment 83265View attachment 83266
Good report, and largely mirrors my experience. I've generally hit Entrance weather permitting the last few years, and I'm surprised at the consistency out front. The bait I've seen has generally been small. Seldom have I had rods bouncing due to bigger stuff and many of the fish I've cleaned have tiny (2-3") herring. I've tried the plug thing, often on one side of the boat, and had much the same experience as you: inconsistent success that I put down to mismatching lure size to small bait in the area.

I think you're right about the mid-summer fishing improving around here. Before all the restrictions came in I generally fished locally from May to early July, then seldom until late Aug and very early Sep. Success was pretty limited in between, so I tended to travel. As far as the size this year, it's kind of a mixed blessing; I'm not having to release big ones, but it would be nice to play a few. Almost every 60-something cm fish I've cleaned is full of mature roe or milt, so those fish are getting ready to go up some river. I do know since the Cowichan springs have come back in numbers they're documenting the same: 10-12 lb fish are the norm.

Just drove by in the ferry, must be 30+ boats at the fingers, beautiful night out there. Let’s get some reports!

Bit of a tough go for me today. Jumped in the truck and had a flat tire. Pumped it up and headed to the launch. Fished neck point to the fingers and back to neck point and then back to the fingers. Lots of small fish but found one keeper at 65cm. Busted a rod holder and sent a islander to the depths and managed to get it back as the clip stayed on the line! Lucky... then on the way home blew a tire on the trailer. Just dragged her home on the triple axle trailer. Every time I go to secret beach I'm dealing with tire issues (went there last week) I guess I have a trip to the tire shop in my future and a trip to PNT for a new rod holder... fish was at 195 on rigger in 165' of water fish was stuffed with 6"-8" herring. Should have been running bigger spoons.20220809_202953.jpg20220809_204342.jpg20220809_201751.jpg

Bit of a tough go for me today. Jumped in the truck and had a flat tire. Pumped it up and headed to the launch. Fished neck point to the fingers and back to neck point and then back to the fingers. Lots of small fish but found one keeper at 65cm. Busted a rod holder and sent a islander to the depths and managed to get it back as the clip stayed on the line! Lucky... then on the way home blew a tire on the trailer. Just dragged her home on the triple axle trailer. Every time I go to secret beach I'm dealing with tire issues (went there last week) I guess I have a trip to the tire shop in my future and a trip to PNT for a new rod holder... fish was at 195 on rigger in 165' of water fish was stuffed with 6"-8" herring. Should have been running bigger spoons.View attachment 83379View attachment 83380View attachment 83381
Glad you got your rod back!

Put in a good shift yesterday for one barely legal at entrance. Just fished the mid-day tide change today for nada and ran into the Creel Survey guy at the ramp. He reported 1 fish that someone caught at first light... and it was 1:00 when I talked to him. Hopefully this is just a bit of a break in the action due to large tides or something.

Had my prawn traps either dragged by a log flotsam or nabbed tonight by entrance island. Yellow and red buoys name and phone number are clearly printed on them... Would be epic if someone spots them and could let me know...

Had my prawn traps either dragged by a log flotsam or nabbed tonight by entrance island. Yellow and red buoys name and phone number are clearly printed on them... Would be epic if someone spots them and could let me know...
At Entrance, I find that the current is strong enough to pull my buoy under water at tide change. Go back to your spot at low slack and you might see it again. I hope you find it. Unless the trap stealer from Vancouver is back!!!

At Entrance, I find that the current is strong enough to pull my buoy under water at tide change. Go back to your spot at low slack and you might see it again. I hope you find it. Unless the trap stealer from Vancouver is back!!!
The tide was huge today. A 14 ft swing!

last summer I set mine on the ridge that runs southeast from entrance, and the wind came up and swept them away (I thought this might happen) and found one about 10 days later down towards Thrasher Rock. Never did find the other one

last summer I set mine on the ridge that runs southeast from entrance, and the wind came up and swept them away (I thought this might happen) and found one about 10 days later down towards Thrasher Rock. Never did find the other one
Same but the other way for me. Laid them on a hill and the inflow blew them off it towards Entrance. Need lots of extra line to deal with the inevitable angle in it to the surface or they float and bounce the traps away.

Last edited:
Put in a good shift yesterday for one barely legal at entrance. Just fished the mid-day tide change today for nada and ran into the Creel Survey guy at the ramp. He reported 1 fish that someone caught at first light... and it was 1:00 when I talked to him. Hopefully this is just a bit of a break in the action due to large tides or something.
Full moon and big tide maybe? Yeah I’m headed across to entrance Monday hoping for a great day with some buddies. Hopefully wind and weather are what they show and we have a beauty day on the water. Will report back after the day

Full moon and big tide maybe? Yeah I’m headed across to entrance Monday hoping for a great day with some buddies. Hopefully wind and weather are what they show and we have a beauty day on the water. Will report back after the day
Managed one (70 cm) last night at Entrance and another couple of hits/ undersized. Pretty much all action at over 200 on the rigger. So, yeah I'd lean into the thought that the big tides have pushed them deep. If I had 18-20 lb cannonballs I'd be using them at the moment.

Heading out tomorrow morning. Glad to hear that there is some fish around. Been seeing Lots of boats off Fingers and Pipers Lagoon while I am driving to my work site.

Got out for a morning fish with a couple buddies. Tried off Five fingers first but nothing there. Made our way to the area around Clark Rock. Lots of bait. Steady action. Ended up with 2 slot springs and a bunch of unders. Buddy lost the “3rd” keeper just before pack up.
Smallish spoons were the ticket. 90-120’ on the riggers.
Choppy seas and lots of weeds. But still a great time out there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back