2022 Gulf Island Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't spent a ton of time in the gulf islands cruising/fishing (mostly just overnighters to Tumbo). But curious what to expect in plumper sound, Bedwell Harbour, Trimcomali channel, captains passage and such when you have a forecast like this.

View attachment 83136
Trincomali 1 foot chop, Bedwell almost no chop, Plumper 2 foot chop,on southern section, Captains same as Trincomali. All pretty protected water areas and very cruisable in this wind forecast. Won’t be flat calm but won’t be rough. Still need to watch for the wood!

Seems like an odd place but a buddy is staying at Maracaibo Resort on Salt Spring and has his boat over there. In the last couple of nights there have been 2 springs caught right off the dock.....seems odd they would be way in that far end of Long Harbor, the red circle is where they are. I have been in there a couple of times to visit when they are there and it sure isn't too terribly deep in there.

1659545543666.png

Last edited:
Seems like an odd place but a buddy is staying at Maracaibo Resort on Salt Spring and has his boat over there. In the last couple of nights there have been 2 springs caught right off the dock.....seems odd they would be way in that far end of the Long Harbor, the red circle is where they are. I have been in there a couple of times to visit when they are there and it sure isn't too terribly deep in there.

View attachment 83160
ha, I hear it's best on a flood :) I better tell my charter buddies out of salt spring about this hot bite.

Pretty odd but that's awesome if true. Maybe a squid or forage fish spawn that has drawn them in there?

ha, I hear it's best on a flood :) I better tell my charter buddies out of salt spring about this hot bite.

Pretty odd but that's awesome if true. Maybe a squid or forage fish spawn that has drawn them in there?
I remember a trip up to Newton Cove Resort. One night just before dark i was headed up to my room for something. I looked down in the water from the second story and saw a small wolf pack of mid-teen sized Springs cruising around looking for Squid that were probably attracted to the lights of the lodge. It was pretty cool as it was shallow enough that you could see bottom.

Seems like an odd place but a buddy is staying at Maracaibo Resort on Salt Spring and has his boat over there. In the last couple of nights there have been 2 springs caught right off the dock.....seems odd they would be way in that far end of Long Harbor, the red circle is where they are. I have been in there a couple of times to visit when they are there and it sure isn't too terribly deep in there.

View attachment 83160
That’s awesome. Mother Nature is the best!

Choppy crossing yesterday SE 15-20 but made it over. Working the east entrance of Active Pass on the Mayne side, had a big hit-and-run last night, ran for a few seconds then shook off. This morning had a decent screamer on for a few minutes of fun, then she shook off. An hour later, finally a nice dance partner. A bit of solo mayhem near the end (other rod tangled in the kicker) but landed a beauty 78cm red spring approx 13lb, hatchery. Lots of needlefish in its belly. All action around 60 on riggers in 80-100’ of water, herring aid skinny G spoon doing better than bait so far. A few other boats around, saw a couple fish get landed.AB7C39AA-4EDF-4BCF-8A51-6325A242D3D1.jpeg

View attachment 83160
I was there in late June and the whole inlet was loaded with bait. This is a screen shot of my sounder right around the ferry dock.
7788C2F2-0030-4838-90BB-2C20C62277C7.jpeg

Afternoon All,

Gonna be over in Thetis for a couple days and I was gonna head out to thrasher or porlier pass but its looking a little windy (and probably sloppy) for the junior crew I'll have joining me. I think some people fish around tent island and off yellowpoint during the winter; are these places or anything else that would be more protected known to be produce in the summer?

Cheers

Afternoon All,

Gonna be over in Thetis for a couple days and I was gonna head out to thrasher or porlier pass but its looking a little windy (and probably sloppy) for the junior crew I'll have joining me. I think some people fish around tent island and off yellowpoint during the winter; are these places or anything else that would be more protected known to be produce in the summer?

Cheers

A bit of a run for you but just inside Active Pass along the southwestern corner of Galiano. Usually see the locals fishing along the bluffs there and is usually very protected.

Hey guys and gals

Looking to make a trip with my family and a friend of mine with a couple boats over to Montague Harbor for a couple nights and sleepover on the boat.
I had a quick check on area 18 for regs looks like some areas are open for springs. are there any good spots over there nearby Montague? Never been over there before usually just fish entrance island or around bowen back on our side.

Thanks so much for the tips or advice in advance
Tom

View attachment 83160

I grew up living at the entrance to long harbour. Used to be big herring spawns in there and lots of bait year round. I trolled around in a row boat with a trout rod and spoons and would get 12”-16” springs. My neighbour got a 20lber one night off his dock with a buzz bomb. Another neighbour trolled nose point and would pick up the odd spring on both sides of the point. I got a 18lb spring jigging cod in James Bay across from long harbour as well. Definitely used to be a few fish around there.

Hey guys and gals

Looking to make a trip with my family and a friend of mine with a couple boats over to Montague Harbor for a couple nights and sleepover on the boat.
I had a quick check on area 18 for regs looks like some areas are open for springs. are there any good spots over there nearby Montague? Never been over there before usually just fish entrance island or around bowen back on our side.

Thanks so much for the tips or advice in advance
Tom

Have a look at my post #153.

Also you can to the outside of Active Pass and fish Salamanca etc.

A bit of a run for you but just inside Active Pass along the southwestern corner of Galiano. Usually see the locals fishing along the bluffs there and is usually very protected.
Thanks pippen! And i appreciate the heads up on the non retention on the inside.

Released a very nice spring there at collinson pt yesterday. 13 year old son was on the rod, knuckle busted a little, small birds nest, had his drag really loose and peeled line for a very long run, I could see the backing in the spool. He got it to the boat and reeled it in a bit too far and broke my top eyelet on my technium rod. 11 year old brother bagged it with basically a trout net, first swipe was poor, second one he nailed it as half a fish in a net looked pretty funny as he lifted it out. Somewhere between 22/24 pounds. 63 feet on the rigger , 30 feet offshore. Caught it using a sand lance from ap tackle works in Victoria. 11 year old lost another good fish 1/2 way thru the fight, not enough tension. Same lure. It’s been dynamite.

Attachments

• 3B6D2ED1-0CB8-4BE7-BAFD-F78BD48CB720.jpeg
    3B6D2ED1-0CB8-4BE7-BAFD-F78BD48CB720.jpeg
    215.3 KB · Views: 158
  • 01AA0119-4B61-472D-B070-902BF2913E48.jpeg
    01AA0119-4B61-472D-B070-902BF2913E48.jpeg
    208.9 KB · Views: 157
  • 84AE916E-BD2E-453C-AFE4-173ACF384D96.jpeg
    84AE916E-BD2E-453C-AFE4-173ACF384D96.jpeg
    229.1 KB · Views: 158
I apologize in advance for this question? I have read/reread the latest bulletins from DFO and can't for the life of me figure out if I can fish for salmon (coho or chinook) in 18-4 or 18-6. I have been told fishing Fairfax Point is open. Does it matter east or west of the point? Please help clear this up for me before I get a ticket for being stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back