2022 Gulf Island Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank
As a (former) Penderite myself, believe me, they are as upset about the tankers and freighter anhochorages as they are about whales. Mainly for the selfish “oh no I don’t want to see lights out on the ocean from my $5 million waterfront property”

Unfortunately the penderite sport fishing community is small and not very vocal. Pender is a mob culture. Wokest people win. Everyone is already well off and retires so they have nothing better to do. If you try to as much as say that an orca measurement is not effective, unless you say you want to make them broader, you will get stoned. And not in the Saltspring way .

Recreational salmon fishing is closed close to pender. But the only really productive spot on pender In the summer has been the bluffs, they’ve been closed for years it’s death by a thousand cuts. Nothing has really effectively changed for pender since 2018. Fairfax is still open and only a 15 minute run. Yellow areas still allow ling and bottom fishing.

Edit: South Pender took a pretty big hit especially as it took over from the bluffs after they closed. I’m sure Pender fishermen aren’t happy but neither is anyone else south Campbell.
you for sharing FisherTim I'm new here and still trying to figure it out. Just heading out to drop a couple of crab traps.

Just to clear things up. Correction noted from poster. Now don't I feel better ;)

Paul Hayes Thank you! I misread the bulletin I got from Transport Canada regarding the closures. I obviously read it too quickly. I have corrected my post above.

Just to clear things up. Correction noted from poster. Now don't I feel better ;)

Paul Hayes Thank you! I misread the bulletin I got from Transport Canada regarding the closures. I obviously read it too quickly. I have corrected my post above.
The other incorrect item is that ships don't have to go slow. In Haro Strait and Boundary pass therere is an extensive program for reducing speed and noise called the ECHO program begins June 1st also.

The other incorrect item is that ships don't have to go slow. In Haro Strait and Boundary pass therere is an extensive program for reducing speed and noise called the ECHO program begins June 1st also.
Since you seem to be in the know, and nowhere else have I seen or heard any details about the apparent sighting of SRKW on the inside waters,in spite of emailing DFO for information, could you enlighten us with when and where this "sighting" happened. Thank you.

Since you seem to be in the know, and nowhere else have I seen or heard any details about the apparent sighting of SRKW on the inside waters,in spite of emailing DFO for information, could you enlighten us with when and where this "sighting" happened. Thank you.

Thank you for the Whalereport site info, however it doesn't answer my question. Not being a shipmaster or pilot the public can not access any information. The fact that a confirmed sighting shuts down all salmon fishing in the yellow designated area for the next five months and last year a sighting didn't happen until the end of July, makes it rather important that the sighting causing the shut down is real. Your site says that sightings are made by "trusted observers." I think the recreational fleet needs a little more than that. DFO doesn't seem to think so....

Thank you for the Whalereport site info, however it doesn't answer my question. Not being a shipmaster or pilot the public can not access any information. The fact that a confirmed sighting shuts down all salmon fishing in the yellow designated area for the next five months and last year a sighting didn't happen until the end of July, makes it rather important that the sighting causing the shut down is real. Your site says that sightings are made by "trusted observers." I think the recreational fleet needs a little more than that. DFO doesn't seem to think so....
Sorry you don't have access. Surely you can understand why the information is not public and therefore not subject to misuse. I sympathize with you as I asked these same questions when the program started. Do you anchor just North of Wallace Pt. ? Last year the program started with sightings July 1st

Re: whale sightings
I can attest to sightings off Thieves Bay and Brooks Point in the last few days.

Coho fishing question? Any point trolling Moresby Island or east of Beaver Point (Salt Spring)? I'm at Thieves Bay and looking for somewhere close that Coho fishing is legal. Thanks for any info you can share.

Coho fishing question? Any point trolling Moresby Island or east of Beaver Point (Salt Spring)? I'm at Thieves Bay and looking for somewhere close that Coho fishing is legal. Thanks for any info you can share.
Based upon previous years, I don't think that there is much chance that you will be able to catch a Coho anywhere near Moresby (or anywhere in the Southern Gulf Islands) at this time of year. Typically see a good run in late September/early October but not typically at this time of year. If you are trying to catch something that you can keep, Lings are probably your best bet.

Hi all. Going out to Saturna Island for the first time this week and we wanted to try a bit of shore fishing. Could anyone possibly recommend any place worth a shot on the island? Just looking to catch anything really, maybe rock fish, ling or anything else. I have looked over the conservation areas and the interim sanctuary zones, which I am now aware of, but not sure where a good place to start might be? Thanks for any pointers or hints you can spare!

Hi all. Going out to Saturna Island for the first time this week and we wanted to try a bit of shore fishing. Could anyone possibly recommend any place worth a shot on the island? Just looking to catch anything really, maybe rock fish, ling or anything else. I have looked over the conservation areas and the interim sanctuary zones, which I am now aware of, but not sure where a good place to start might be? Thanks for any pointers or hints you can spare!

East side. Look at charts for the deeper drop off areas. South end rockfish protection. Happy beach casting

Thanks ship happens! Unfortunately, last minute plan change :confused: looks like we are going to Pender Island instead. Would anyone be able to give a hint as to where one might try some shore fishing on Pender?

Anybody have any info on moresby and area since i launch out of cow bay? I have the inlaws coming down from northern bc next week and they want to get out, even if it's just catch and release, hows the lings over there i read they are open? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back