2022 Gulf Island Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
8F64F67D-BA72-4D9C-8101-49BA6A027D5C.jpegAnyone around thrasher today? From the ferry it looked like someone was having a bad day
I saw this boat list over and send up a puff of black diesel smoke and she didn’t move after that. It was around 10 am and there were a couple of boats in close so they didn’t need more help. The pic is a few hours later after the tide went out more. I have no idea how it happened; I could see the tide ripping across the rock when they ran aground.

I saw this boat list over and send up a puff of black diesel smoke and she didn’t move after that. It was around 10 am and there were a couple of boats in close so they didn’t need more help. The pic is a few hours later after the tide went out more. I have no idea how it happened; I could see the tide ripping across the rock when they ran aground.

Holy fak. How does that even happen.

Went Out Moresby today, no luck trolling around from the point up seen a bunch of bait, 1 guy said he got a small one, we jigged up a few rockfish, got back and pulled crab traps in cow bay, got 5 nice red rock and 2 dungy...

Got out Friday night, started off a bit rough but the wind completely died off. Once again a ton of small fish around. Ended up switching from spoons to glow white hoochie and landed a 70cm fish at 845pm.
IMG_20220723_122553.jpg

Weather was pretty bad this morning but managed a 65cm fish on the same glow white hoochie.
IMG_20220723_122558.jpg

In the last month I have lost 2 crab traps in Shingle Bay. Both were new traps and the second one was new everything. I'm just wondering if this is the new norm in the Gulf Islands. Common occurrence around Vancouver but......... Anyone else have similar experiences or just me?

Anyone been fishing around Tent lately?
Might head out in the next few days, just checking if i should go to thrasher or stay closer to home.

Was hoping to target sockeye in 18, regs say springs open to 1 under 80cm as of 8/1 but keeps sockeye at non-retention. Am I just lost in the regs or is there a notice that set a date for sockeye retention?

Last edited:
As of now its closed with no scheduled opening for commercial or sport.

Which is ridiculous given that we all know 2022 is a huge sockeye year. Been reading all the updates/notices etc and if you read between the lines it’s pretty obvious it looks like they won’t open it this year sadly. Can’t even fish the chuck now at all until Sept 1 (except chum and hatch coho I suppose) Brutal.
On the plus side, I’ll be fishing in Area 18 from Aug 3-8, dancing around the various closures areas, hoping to land a few 62-80cm springs. :rolleyes: There’s a nice tack in active pass, east entrance on the Mayne side, at the 80’ deep contour. I’ll be working that real good. Wonder what year that will be closed down too?…

Last edited:
I haven't spent a ton of time in the gulf islands cruising/fishing (mostly just overnighters to Tumbo). But curious what to expect in plumper sound, Bedwell Harbour, Trimcomali channel, captains passage and such when you have a forecast like this.

Screenshot_20220802-195252_Windy.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back