2022 Comox Valley-Comox Harbour, Kitty Coleman, Cape Lazo, Denman & Hornby Islands

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my navionics it shows a huge area that I thought was RCA but it does not match the government map you posted - strange
It’s just an ‘ecological area’. Unfortunately the same red boundary markers are used as RCAs so you have to tap it to get the details of what it is. Definitely ok to fish there.

On my navionics it shows a huge area that I thought was RCA but it does not match the government map you posted - strange
that is an ecological reserve as well as a general area of caution for killer whales. I definitely see lots of guys jigging out there :)

any general recommendations for ling, prawn and crab around the Hornby area? We will be up there for a week with the boat.. I am willing to travel anywhere.

Likely do day trips to texada and check out jedediah.

Thanks for any tips
I’ve never heard of Dungeness crab at Hornby; just a few red rocks. Dungeness like low salinity, and Hornby has only one tiny creek. Head over to estuaries.

Got out to the kitty hump today from 12-4:30 was non stop action on un keepable springs!
still good fun with the family, kids had a blast. Huge bait balls south of the hump all the way to the ferry terminal! Don’t think I remember that in the past. Not many boats out. That might change soon.

Got out to the kitty hump today from 12-4:30 was non stop action on un keepable springs!
still good fun with the family, kids had a blast. Huge bait balls south of the hump all the way to the ferry terminal! Don’t think I remember that in the past. Not many boats out. That might change soon.
On the 15th it is going to be a gong-show out there!! (I will contribute to it!)

What were you using, hootchies? spoons? plugs? herring?

On the 15th it is going to be a gong-show out there!! (I will contribute to it!)

What were you using, hootchies? spoons? plugs? herring?
splaterback hootchie and skinny g white and green. I think anything white glow and green will work.

Fished inside south of the hump today 3 hrs 6 legal chinooks. Down deep 240/250 Splatter back needle fish and aurora white hootchie with glow stripe “shower curtain”. Seems to be some fish around hopefully they hang on until July 15.

Gentlemen, any recents reports? Just got back from Nootka so was hoping for some reports, thanks
I can share one from Thursday. East of Tribune Bay in 200'-250' of water there were bait balls. We fished the depths of the bait balls and were able to catch 2 nice slot Chinook plus 5 shakers and one wild Coho. The hot lure was a 3-1/2" spoon, 5' behind a flasher. One of the salmon had a 5-1/2" herring and the other Chinook had an empty stomach. Hootchies and Coho Killers were not effective.

I can share one from Thursday. East of Tribune Bay in 200'-250' of water there were bait balls. We fished the depths of the bait balls and were able to catch 2 nice slot Chinook plus 5 shakers and one wild Coho. The hot lure was a 3-1/2" spoon, 5' behind a flasher. One of the salmon had a 5-1/2" herring and the other Chinook had an empty stomach. Hootchies and Coho Killers were not effective.
Fished similar area on Saturday evening. Good consistent bite with 2 slot chinooks and a heartbreaking lost fish that almost spooled me.

Blacks and white glow Hoochies at 150-170.

Sorry, a little late, was on holidays all week.

Last Saturday the 16th at Kitty Hump, four of us limited out in under an hour, and released many "keeper" size fish. 3 Doubles, a few lost fish. Biggest fish was 17lbs and 77cm's. VERY full belly.

Fish were biting everything, we put down. (variety of hootchies and flasher combos, and plugs). Trolling fast (well, faster than I usually do, at around 5km/h most of the time)

Most were near bottom, but the biggest one was around 100' while dropping gear. I was having issues with the clip popping off the rigger, popped off like 6 times, so when it popped off at 100' I let out a big F$%* and treated it as a popped clip, but nope, FISH!

There were 60 +/- boats out that day and I think basically every single boat was catching fish, amazing action.

Funny how that happens. It was hot for us at Kitty with hootchies.

Goes to show, if you don't get any action, change it up!

We tend to start with a hootchie on one side and a spoon or plug on the other, then when we get into fish, switch up to whats working.

Some good action east of Tribune at the morning tide change. A couple of nice slot size Chinook came home. One on a 3-1/2" spoon and the other on an Army Truck hootchie. 175' to 200' on rigger depth in 225' of water depth. There were about a dozen boats out and some of the other boats landed some nice keepers. Tight lines!

We started fishing off Cape Lazo at 10:30am yesterday morning waiting for the wind to die down, got one hit but didn’t stick. We pulled up and headed to the Kitty Coleman hump at noon and dropped the lines to 220ft and within 10 minutes boxed a 15 lb spring. Lots of action for the next 3 hrs, double headers, lost a few, released some smaller ones, ended the day with 2 springs and a clipped coho. Watermelon spoon, white with purple hoochie and the Ghost flash fly were the preferred tackle it seemed for us. My 3 year old DF9.9 would not turn over with the key when we first got out there, first time that has happened since new so we pull started it. It did turn over with the key when we moved to Kitty Coleman not sure what happened but sure nice to have the option to pull start without removing the cowling.

Attachments

• 5A51F387-E5BB-460C-BD24-63E2FFB59FBB.jpeg
    5A51F387-E5BB-460C-BD24-63E2FFB59FBB.jpeg
    221 KB · Views: 67
We started fishing off Cape Lazo at 10:30am yesterday morning waiting for the wind to die down, got one hit but didn’t stick. We pulled up and headed to the Kitty Coleman hump at noon and dropped the lines to 220ft and within 10 minutes boxed a 15 lb spring. Lots of action for the next 3 hrs, double headers, lost a few, released some smaller ones, ended the day with 2 springs and a clipped coho. Watermelon spoon, white with purple hoochie and the Ghost flash fly were the preferred tackle it seemed for us. My 3 year old DF9.9 would not turn over with the key when we first got out there, first time that has happened since new so we pull started it. It did turn over with the key when we moved to Kitty Coleman not sure what happened but sure nice to have the option to pull start without removing the cowling.
Wondering why fishing off Cape Lazo does not measure up to Kitty Coleman Hump. Seems similar structure drop offs into deer water.... ?

Did you check to see if your kill switch thing came un attached? This happens to me sometimes and it just needs to be put on tighter and then she starts.

Did you check to see if your kill switch thing came un attached? This happens to me sometimes and it just needs to be put on tighter and then she starts.
Yes and good point I did wiggle the kill switch a bit on the ignition plate but still no luck. The kicker turned over fine in the yard to flush it at home afterwards so still a bit of mystery.

Wondering why fishing off Cape Lazo does not measure up to Kitty Coleman Hump. Seems similar structure drop offs into deer water.... ?
Good question, the hump at Kitty Coleman has produced for as long as I can remember for some reason, there must be structure for the bait to hold. Hopefully the fish move in closer to Point Holmes in a couple weeks like they did a few years ago, much closer from the marina.

Good question, the hump at Kitty Coleman has produced for as long as I can remember for some reason, there must be structure for the bait to hold. Hopefully the fish move in closer to Point Holmes in a couple weeks like they did a few years ago, much closer from the marina.
I grew up fishing Cape Lazo from Kye Bay -- a long run on a Seagull -- but there were fish there in the 60s ;). It was only when I built a larger boat with a 15 hp that we needed a ramp, and discovered the Kitty Coleman hump

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back