2022 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be there as well. Where are you staying?
I will be up there next week as well from the 23rd to the 30th if any members are interested in meeting up, send me a PM. Mostly targeting salmon and maybe some lings. Will be staying at one of the lodges on the west side.

Nice - I really like their set-up there. decent rate for lodging and food.
I'm staying at the bamfield lodge.
Yeah it was great when we were there last, nice to not have to deal with food. I do recall where the Bamfield lodge is, too. So back to my original post, thoughts on lingcod this time of year?

Yeah it was great when we were there last, nice to not have to deal with food. I do recall where the Bamfield lodge is, too. So back to my original post, thoughts on lingcod this time of year?
go where you think has not been fished out. they still biting.

Hey crew. Heading to Bamfield this weekend. Any advise on what’s producing this time of the year? We come every year but normally earlier in the season and hit pill point, assits, gibraltar, etc. Cheers :)

Well we got back from our week fishing trip in Bamfield. Boat ran great and weather was good but fishing was poor. We still came home with 80 pounds of salmon, halibut, and Ling cod but it is less than half of what we got last year. We fished 12 hours most days.
Fished all the spots but none really turned on. Best was Swale were we got a 22 and an 18. Sandford was probably second.
Lots of 8 to 10 pounders out at Big Bank. Pretty much non stop action on whatever you put down.
We went off shore a few times including out to Big Bank about 20 miles out. 2 to 3 foot rollers but no wind, beautiful, and sunny.
Made it back from Bamfiled to Mosqutio Creek, in North Van, in 6.5 hours. It is a 178 miles so average of 27 mph. We hit quite a few patches of fog coming home - some so thick we had to come off plane and idle for a while. Radar sure is handy. Most boats travel along the same line from Renfrew to Cape Beale so was seeing all these radar targets on my plotter line. I didn't trust anyone else so just deverted away from them until they passed. Most times never saw them. Water was Lumpy in a few parts but overall very good water. You hit so many types of weather, water, and wind along the way. Need to be prepared for anything. Found Windy app to be quite accurate and of course used all the live reports and trends.

Burned about 1600 litres of fuel and put 58 hours on each engine (we rotate trolling so keep the hours pretty even)
We left Bamfield with 7/8's of a tank of fuel and arrived in Vancouver with 1/4.
Diesel was $1.92 in Ucluelet.

If anyone is interested in more details feel free to message me.
We plan to go again next year but maybe 3rd week of August

IMG_7742.JPGIMG_7836.JPGIMG_7658.JPGIMG_7811.JPGIMG_7814.JPGIMG_7816.JPGIMG_7819.JPGIMG_7681 (Large).JPGIMG_6765.JPGIMG_7732 (Large).JPG

Hey crew. Heading to Bamfield this weekend. Any advise on what’s producing this time of the year? We come every year but normally earlier in the season and hit pill point, assits, gibraltar, etc. Cheers :)
I was supposed to be headed up there this weekend but ended up canceling as buddies backed out and my freezer is stuffed (tough problem to have...)

If I was still going I would be loaded up with anchovies for both sides of the boat to start. If that wasn't working I would be running an assortment or 3-4 inch herring aide spoons, coho killers, and white hoochies.

We tried really hard for lings at pinacles offshore from broken group. We managed to get 2 legal smaller ones but that was it. Lots of Cabazon. Not sure if fished out or just not biting.

I was supposed to be headed up there this weekend but ended up canceling as buddies backed out and my freezer is stuffed (tough problem to have...)

If I was still going I would be loaded up with anchovies for both sides of the boat to start. If that wasn't working I would be running an assortment or 3-4 inch herring aide spoons, coho killers, and white hoochies.
White hoochies were working very well. Need to change mine to a single hook like RC

We tried really hard for lings at pinacles offshore from broken group. We managed to get 2 legal smaller ones but that was it. Lots of Cabazon. Not sure if fished out or just not biting.
We tried those pinnacles on two different trips this year june/July and never got anything either exept a pile of released Cabazon. On our last trip the first week of August we found a bunch or lings in the bait right on the shore line. Basically get the boat as close to the rocks as your comfortable with and pitch the jig into the rocks.

Just got back From three days in Bamfield.
First day we stopped at Rainy Bay on the way into the sound. Nothing was going on and the weather was good, so we decided to head all the way outside and try for some lings. We caught seven just legal 65-70 cm, but couldn't find anything larger.
Second day, we headed off shore to Rat's Nose. On the way we started trolling our way out from the harbour to about 3/4 the way out and found some and found a bunch of coho. At the Nose there was pretty constant action for Coho, which were mainly wild, but we did manage to find a few hatchery to round out our limit. We had to hunt for the springs, which were at 90-100' most of them were in the 7-10 lb range, but we did manage a few mid teens. The Halibut were all small for us maybe 10 lbs. On our way in we fished Austin to Swale Rock looking to round our Spring limit without much luck. Back at the room one of our crew got a call about a family emergency, so I had to run him back to PA , which meant that we had to wait for the fuel dock to open before heading back off shore, so we went to Kirby at first light to wait for the fuel dock. We managed two Mid teen chinook before the fuel dock opened. By the time we got fueled up and everyone had a chance to take care of unfinished morning business, it was 10 am before we headed off shore. And it was dead out there. We managed only one wild coho off the hop and then no more Salmon for about an hour. We decided to try for hali, and NOTHING ALL DAY, man it was frustrating. On the way home we stopped at Austin and picked up a couple of nice mid teeners.
Yesterday morning we still had three spot for Chinook and Coho on out licences. We headed Back to Kirby at 6 AM and managed to fill our spring limit with some quality fish, the largest was 93 cm, we dont have a scale on the boat so no weight. At 8:30 we pulled the pin and headed for home.
It was a good trip with good buds, I can't wait to get back next year.

Just got back From three days in Bamfield.
First day we stopped at Rainy Bay on the way into the sound. Nothing was going on and the weather was good, so we decided to head all the way outside and try for some lings. We caught seven just legal 65-70 cm, but couldn't find anything larger.
Second day, we headed off shore to Rat's Nose. On the way we started trolling our way out from the harbour to about 3/4 the way out and found some and found a bunch of coho. At the Nose there was pretty constant action for Coho, which were mainly wild, but we did manage to find a few hatchery to round out our limit. We had to hunt for the springs, which were at 90-100' most of them were in the 7-10 lb range, but we did manage a few mid teens. The Halibut were all small for us maybe 10 lbs. On our way in we fished Austin to Swale Rock looking to round our Spring limit without much luck. Back at the room one of our crew got a call about a family emergency, so I had to run him back to PA , which meant that we had to wait for the fuel dock to open before heading back off shore, so we went to Kirby at first light to wait for the fuel dock. We managed two Mid teen chinook before the fuel dock opened. By the time we got fueled up and everyone had a chance to take care of unfinished morning business, it was 10 am before we headed off shore. And it was dead out there. We managed only one wild coho off the hop and then no more Salmon for about an hour. We decided to try for hali, and NOTHING ALL DAY, man it was frustrating. On the way home we stopped at Austin and picked up a couple of nice mid teeners.
Yesterday morning we still had three spot for Chinook and Coho on out licences. We headed Back to Kirby at 6 AM and managed to fill our spring limit with some quality fish, the largest was 93 cm, we dont have a scale on the boat so no weight. At 8:30 we pulled the pin and headed for home.
It was a good trip with good buds, I can't wait to get back next year.
How far did you go offshore on your last trip out there?

rainy bay and san mateo now open? wowza
I may have mis named it. It's the fist bay where everyone fishes as you enter Imperial Eagle Channel. I wasn't driving so I couldn't see the plotter and I am not totally familiar with the area.

I may have mis named it. It's the fist bay where everyone fishes as you enter Imperial Eagle Channel. I wasn't driving so I couldn't see the plotter and I am not totally familiar with the area.
you where right.. i just been pleasantly surprised with these being opened.

We were up there Thursday to Sunday and found good fishing at Harbour Entrance to Swale on Thursday and Friday, and at the wall Saturday and Sunday. Fish were deeper at Swale, mostly around 50, and shallower at the wall, around 30. Large or extra large chovies were the ticket, although got a few fish on purple haze hoochies. A few coho roaming around but not a ton. Lots of seals at kelp bay to Danvers along the wall which was annoying. Unfortunately had to run back to Port Alberni on the kicker on Sunday when our big engine had problems which made for a real long day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back