2022 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Offshore again today, 7 miles out, not happy to see the SE wind slop but not terrible conditions out here. Want to anchor for Hali but wind is just strong enough to keep us fishing for salmon. No springs to report today- yet

I’ve got time to wait for nicer water. I saw La Perouse bank was 1,8 meters with a y second period. Too lumpy for me.

Hali has been pretty decent. Currents and swell are the normal and if you commit, be safe out there. Anchoring as most of you know, comes with risks and are mitigated with learned skills. Along comes the payoff. View attachment 83069
the first one to the boat was measured at 165 cm, a quick tail rope/pic and off it swam. These 4 followed up in less than 2 hours. The swell picked up, fog rolled around us and we had an instant black hawk down. Went to ships and hooked a couple decent fish but only landed two hatch coho. Great crew today committed to going “out there” to have a chance at catching a halibut.

for me, its what its all about.
What's up with the cut on the caudal? Have em on a rope or something? I'm a bit new to Hali fishing and haven't seen this yet.

One of the cuts used to bleed the fish.
Funky. Lots of blood moving through the tail? Is this a halibut thing or do people do it on other species? I usually cut the gills and shake upside down into my "bleed bucket" to bleed my fish.

Funky. Lots of blood moving through the tail? Is this a halibut thing or do people do it on other species? I usually cut the gills and shake upside down into my "bleed bucket" to bleed my fish.
they loose blood pressure really quickly when this is done, cut the gills and slice the tail, give it a quick bend to ensure it being severed. no blood in the spine and the fillets come out clean.

Hali has been pretty decent. Currents and swell are the normal and if you commit, be safe out there. Anchoring as most of you know, comes with risks and are mitigated with learned skills. Along comes the payoff. View attachment 83069
the first one to the boat was measured at 165 cm, a quick tail rope/pic and off it swam. These 4 followed up in less than 2 hours. The swell picked up, fog rolled around us and we had an instant black hawk down. Went to ships and hooked a couple decent fish but only landed two hatch coho. Great crew today committed to going “out there” to have a chance at catching a halibut.

for me, its what its all about.
Nicely done Blair

the fog is gone ? lol
lol.....woke up that am , looked out my window , deep blue skies , bam cam showed the same , pulled out of the nook , bam , on came the radar for for the morning shift , that time of year ,

fishin has been tough for the last 4 days for chinook inside the sound , any day now imho , marking lots of fish , just hard to persuade them for whatever reason , use tiny baits , all fish stuffed with 2 inch herring still , any day now , get out the bait... ( I tried rollin Chovies , Nada )

decent numbers of coho still around Swale , Danvers , Sanford , Flemming , adjust your speed , you should be able to find a few... good luck , oh.... stopped at China Creek , lots of Sockeye being cleaned , not much pressure , nice bigger chromers .... what a huge return..550k through the counters...

back to the grind ... gd lk

Felix

I just got back from a few days in Bamfield. What a great town. We stayed at Mills landing. It was fantastic we even took a day off and booked a charter to hit the offshore bank.
First couple days were a little bit slow. But as soon as we started fishing deeper and swapped out to glow gear we started getting them. We ended up with almost our limit on coho. They were all caught at 70ft on glow hoochies on a fast troll. Springs started slowish, we had one or two but we started getting them 80-110 deep. 4 in the last two days. Three good ones and one 11#. Austin for three and Edward King for the other.
The charter day was too rough. So we didn't make it off shore. To the big bank. So we use it to catch some lings and learn a couple new spots and a new technique to catch them. It was unfortunate to not be able to get far out but still a great day from a great old school fisherman. We ended up with a couple decent lings.
The cherry on top was yesterday when we left we had very little room in the cooler. We stopped at Chine creek because we realized guy were sockeye fishing. Droped in some very,very old sockeye hoochies. Rusty hooks and yellow'd brittle leader from about 1994. In 15 minutes we filled the final cooler void with two decent sockeye. Great weekend in a great town. Thanks Bamfield.
PS. Try a different beer other than Lucky. Your minds will be blown.

Went out to big bank today. Took awhile but we caught our 4 Hali. All between 80-89 cm. Caught a smaller skate. Going to try it and see how they taste. We released a 110 cm Hali which bit while reeling in the rods after we caught the our last under. Also had something big snap us off. Pretty decent day sitting on anchor.

Attachments

• 53F17646-C024-4BD8-9306-121E717F0610.jpeg
    53F17646-C024-4BD8-9306-121E717F0610.jpeg
    374.4 KB · Views: 176
7 mile today, sat on anchor for a long time but landed both within 20 min of each other. 94, 115. Springs have been slow lots of shakers. 1 decent coho. Hoping to get into some bigger springs. Seem to be hitting small bait. Can confirm all our coho’s hit on glow hoochies. 3 more days of fishing hoping to get offshore again and get our limit of springs.

Attachments

• 000850BD-BB68-4E35-A100-22A924E1FE9F.jpeg
    000850BD-BB68-4E35-A100-22A924E1FE9F.jpeg
    236.8 KB · Views: 168
Wow wee, day 6 here at the nook and we are still feeling the pain, nothing is coming ez. Anyone else out their feeling our misery. We have pounded all of our favourite haunts except beale. Please please let me know, we have 1 more tide left tmw.

Offshore for Hali again today, 7 miles out, foggy and calm, on the anchor with no action so far. How long do you guys give it before picking up and moving spots? We have 4 on the boat and we vary in opinion from 1 hr to 3 hrs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back