2022 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where can you get meclazine . ? Patches and meclazine no longer available in Canada according to the pharmacist I just talked to .

You used to be able to get it on Amazon but I don't see it anymore; I used to just buy bottles when I was in the US and it was about $10 for 50 tablets. It is also sold in the US under the brand name Bonine which has 25 MG per pill.

1658262172073.png

Last edited:
You can get meclazine capsules at most compounding pharmacies, might have to order in a day ahead. God's gift to those of us with stable stomachs and unstable patience....

Yes I remember getting some from the Pharmasave in Tofino one time.

Nice work. How far offshore for the hali and what spot? Anchor or drift?
I only know that it was about an hour to run out there and we anchored for them. I was still fighting the first one when the other rod went off and Jerry had just finished hauling the second one over the side when the third one hit.
Three fishermen and three overs and we pulled anchor within 45 minutes of dropping it.

Bonine is pretty awesome but definitely not for everyone.

Not sold in Canada either. I've got some extra if someone wants to try it that I probably will not use before it "expires"....located in Van.

So my replacement buddy showed up Saturday late night and we were out for an early fish Sunday. We hit Meares and Austin and had one really good hit but it was a long line release. I actually had a few more of those through the next two days of fishing. As much pressure as I could hold on them and then boom, gone. Maybe light hook-ups, who knows. Not much happening there so we took off to Whittlestone where I quickly realized my buddy can't handle the swell. He was puking in minutes. So no love for the very short morning shift. Went in, had a nap and some food and my buddy was feeling good enough to give it another try. Fished kirby for a bit and had lots and lots and lots of smalls again, super annoying. Made our way over to Sandford but half way there hit a pinnacle with lots of marks and boom double header with nice sized coho. Circled around, another double. Circled around, another double header. We could have just kept doing this over and over, we were literally just doing a circle. Kept 4 nice sized coho and called it a day, my buddy was starting to feel it again. Still no good sized chinook to be seen, not even the tiny keeper size you're allowed here, which we gladly would have kept. Whipped up a Ceviche for dinner from the ling I caught SaturdayView attachment 82501View attachment 82502View attachment 82503View attachment 82504, it was great. Monday I made my buddy chew some pills and we hit Whittlestone again and found a nice pocket of fish. Picked up a 14-15lb chinook and some really nice sized coho again. One again my buddy loses his breakfast and I'm fishing solo with him begging to get out of the swells. Came back in for another nap and some food and by about 3pm he was feeling ok to fish again. We were really keen on hitting a spot with some better chinook action so we decided to try Swale and although they were smaller, we finally got into Chinook. Had several 55cm fish to the boat. We tried and tried and tried to find something bigger but realized that was perhaps just the name of the game over there. Bonked a couple to fill his license but really not what I figured Bamfield would be like. The cookie cutter fish I'm used to on the inside are in the 12lb-14lb range with some spunk. So he went home with 7 fish but nothing to write home about in terms of the fight. He had a great time though and he enjoyed all the exploring and practicing running the gear. I even made him clean his own fish, gong show. Dropped him off this morning with a cooler full of salmon but it really would have been nice to target other things as well. I can see why the guides just get out there on the banks and put meat on board. I've probably released over 200 fish in the 15 hours of fishing. Next time I'm making sure that I'm with someone that can handle offshore fishing. To be honest I think his anxiety was the bigger factor with not going out. And having never done it either, I'm not pressuring anyone to go. So I'm solo for a few days now and then my family comes up on Friday. I might try and find some crab and prawn spots. I'd like to try and get a hali on the inside but I'm not sure if/where that's possible. I know I can go whack a bunch of lings but, as it turns out, freezer space wasn't included with my moorage as all the freezers are inside the cabins. So I'm being charged $2 a bag to bring them over to Mills, after I've already vac-packed them myself. I have another 10 days here with a cabin and freezer as of Friday so I think I'll just hold off on doing too much more whacking until then. Lots more adventure to be had I'm sure, but man having my long time fishing buddy bail last minute sure had put an odd spin on this trip.

make sure you try for halibut, even a 15-20 pound one has a high ratio of delicious meet.

I got seasick for the first time last year offshore from Barkley Sound. A couple of breakfast burritos, dense fog and aprox 6’ swells contributes to a return of those breakfast burritos. Fishing was great and I soldiered on with the reel screaming and the cookies chucking.
The next couple of days the sea conditions were far worse but my cookies stayed intact.
I’m pretty sure the fog played a role in my sea sickness.

I got seasick for the first time last year offshore from Barkley Sound. A couple of breakfast burritos, dense fog and aprox 6’ swells contributes to a return of those breakfast burritos. Fishing was great and I soldiered on with the reel screaming and the cookies chucking.
The next couple of days the sea conditions were far worse but my cookies stayed intact.
I’m pretty sure the fog played a role in my sea sickness.
dog most definitely contributes. not being able to see very well throws off your equilibrium

Have said this many times before on this forum. Ginger Gravol. Have not had anyone sick on the boat yet.
No side effects so I take it just to make sure when going offshore. Works great for kids and car sickness too.
I am sure it does not work for everyone but with no side effects its worth a try.

Last edited:
Have said this many times before on this forum. Ginger Gravol. Have not had anyone sick on the boat yet.
No side effects so I take it just to make sure when going offshore. Works great for kids and car sickness too.
I am sure it does not work for everyone but with no side effects its worth it just to try.

I’ll have to give these a try for our August Barkley Sound trip. Maybe my sea sickness episode was a anomaly but a little prevention can go a long ways.

And being sick SUCKS big time.

I’ll have to give these a try for our August Barkley Sound trip. Maybe my sea sickness episode was a anomaly but a little prevention can go a long ways.

And being sick SUCKS big time.
I have always used the regular Gravol. It does make me a little drowsy but I'm okay with that. I don't usually have an issues with sea sickness whenever I do a 4-5 day trip to a lodge I will take one pill before bed, then one in the morning when I get up.
I repeat this drill every day until I come home.

I have always used the regular Gravol. It does make me a little drowsy but I'm okay with that. I don't usually have an issues with sea sickness whenever I do a 4-5 day trip to a lodge I will take one pill before bed, then one in the morning when I get up.
I repeat this drill every day until I come home.
I do this as well. I can still feel it if I am bottom fishing too long but as soon as the boat starts moving again i feel better. I remember to watch the shore line, waves, other boats etc.. to improve my bearing as well. Staring at the bottom of the boat is a bad recipe as I learned from tipping over a tackle box offshore and picking it all up.

We tried and tried and tried to find something bigger but realized that was perhaps just the name of the game over there. Bonked a couple to fill his license but really not what I figured Bamfield would be like.
Hey RC, thanks for the detailed reports. Some bad luck for big fish it sounds like. In all my time fishing Bamfield in June and July, it offers what you experienced with the odd larger grade fish mixed in. Some years obviously better than others.
The Best time to take in all the glory of Bamfield is when the local runs start filtering into the sound. That is early August and onwards. Plenty of slabs around then, and the best Sound experience in my opinion!

Ok a report. After missing the tofino derby the week before I needed to get a fish on. Headed up Saturday by plane and had 3 buddies who drove themselves up. None of them fisherman. Went out first night to my usual starting point at Sanford. Got into cohos right away and spent the next few hours hooking and losing a bunch of fish. Tipss up and no slack took a while to sink in for them. Managed to get 4 in the boat when port rod got slammed by a 26lb spring. We were stoked. Sunday morning Sanford again got a quick limit of hoes but no springs so trolled up past ohuat towards Kirby and hit a 12 spring.
Broke a dr belt so headed in for breakfast.
Evening went to Kirby to look for springs but got mostly dinkers. Trolled down to Sanford and got into more coho and lost 2 good ones that I'm sure were springs, some good runs. Tips up no slack was the message again. Monday morning did a tack down the wall and had some good
Fish on but conversion rate was dismal. 2-7 in the boat. That evening went to the wall again but only a few hoes so trolled up to Brady and hit a lone teen spring there. .. all fish had tiny herring in stomachs but hit most good fish and all springs with a glow white hootchy. Lots of dinkers on the skinny gs i had down. Capt mo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back