2022 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great weekend fishing the sound. Alot of small shakers made for fast action. Managed to find 3 nice coho and 3 springs from 5 to 12 pounds. Had most of our action on green wee gee spoons and anchovy at 40 to 60 feet. Bait is very small with the small anchovies outproducing the bigger size. Spent Friday and Saturday night anchored in the Broken Group.

Fish seemed to be all over the sound but we had most of our luck at Pill Point and Swale. Very calm on Friday afternoon so decided to try for hali with no luck. Seiners were setting nets on the way into Port on Sunday. Back in a few weeks and hoping some bigger fish move in by then.

Attachments

• 20220701_144437.jpg
    20220701_144437.jpg
    363.5 KB · Views: 102
Anybody out there today that can give me a report? Headed out in the morning, probably start at pill or diplock

Caught an oversized halibut off Beale that broke one hook and straightened the other. I was pretty sure it was too big but broke the hooks while trying to measure. Second time I’ve caught one that big. Kept the first one, it was legal then, 240 pounds. Took 45 minutes to get it to the boat but still had lots of fight left. Also caught some babies by foul hooking. Nice little halibut nursery off Beale.

Fished Pill, diplock, Fleming Wednesday morning..... decent action, several shakers and 2 springs around 10 pounds. Couple nice lings and a bunch of rockfish. Best lures were skinny g and wee g in herring aide. OG55R glow hootchie and baby anchovies were also getting hit.

Last edited:
Are you pedalling, with a Hobbie mirage drive style yak? I’ve paddled the broken group and to hot springs cove with a traditional kayak.

We got a 50lber 4 miles out from Effingham on a pinnacle I was hoping to hit ling cod on.

Air horn is what I’d take. Let us know how you do an put a GoPro on
Back on Monday night. Yes I do pedal, but not out of a hobie style though I admire those types. I take flares, xtra flashlights, an inreach and compass. Yes there was a gopro involved and I’m going to do something with the footage at some point… Managed to troll up a few springs out of the yak, really had to work hard and play with depth etc. for some decent sized ones, plugs never got touched, herring aid spoons and white hoochies were the only things that produced, did my best to steer clear of the little guys but they were thick. She was blowing pretty hard Saturday so I fished east side of Diana island and had most of my action around Kirby and Helby in those semi-sheltered waters. Made it out to the banks on Sunday after an early start and perfecto conditions with a near high tide to help launch from my campsite, I was 5+ miles out by the time I got breakfast going and started to seek out the flatfish. Fishing was slow at first but after a few spot changes I was getting some good bites and eventually pulled out a tennis racquet then a ping pong paddle and finally a bathroom mat which I decided to keep that was just under 90 cm meaning it was still game on for me. A couple of racquets later and I got another that was half decent which I was debating throwing in the cooler but hesitated on the gaffe as I wanted a closer look when it decided for me and spat the hook. Wasn’t too bitter a pill to swallow as I know he’ll be just perfect soon and I’ve got his address. On the way back clouds had rolled in on the coast and made it impossible to differentiate any direction which I had never previously experienced in that way, it was a crazy belittling sensation doing a 360 trying to see the coastline, never been more grateful for my COMPASS! Picked up a few nice black rockfish Monday morning as well as a 6-7lb cabezon which took my lingcod setup and I decided to settle on. Fished the wall for a few passes before heading in 2 more undersized before pulling out. Heard swale had a bit better springs

Back on Monday night. Yes I do pedal, but not out of a hobie style though I admire those types. I take flares, xtra flashlights, an inreach and compass. Yes there was a gopro involved and I’m going to do something with the footage at some point… Managed to troll up a few springs out of the yak, really had to work hard and play with depth etc. for some decent sized ones, plugs never got touched, herring aid spoons and white hoochies were the only things that produced, did my best to steer clear of the little guys but they were thick. She was blowing pretty hard Saturday so I fished east side of Diana island and had most of my action around Kirby and Helby in those semi-sheltered waters. Made it out to the banks on Sunday after an early start and perfecto conditions with a near high tide to help launch from my campsite, I was 5+ miles out by the time I got breakfast going and started to seek out the flatfish. Fishing was slow at first but after a few spot changes I was getting some good bites and eventually pulled out a tennis racquet then a ping pong paddle and finally a bathroom mat which I decided to keep that was just under 90 cm meaning it was still game on for me. A couple of racquets later and I got another that was half decent which I was debating throwing in the cooler but hesitated on the gaffe as I wanted a closer look when it decided for me and spat the hook. Wasn’t too bitter a pill to swallow as I know he’ll be just perfect soon and I’ve got his address. On the way back clouds had rolled in on the coast and made it impossible to differentiate any direction which I had never previously experienced in that way, it was a crazy belittling sensation doing a 360 trying to see the coastline, never been more grateful for my COMPASS! Picked up a few nice black rockfish Monday morning as well as a 6-7lb cabezon which took my lingcod setup and I decided to settle on. Fished the wall for a few passes before heading in 2 more undersized before pulling out. Heard swale had a bit better springs

Seriously epic. Nice work, man!

Saw you off Diana Island on Saturday afternoon. Man was it choppy out there! Must be a blast catching a hali from a kayak!

A buddy and I spent the week out at China Creek and travelled out to Pill and Swale. Swale was the winner with 6 fish in the boat! All from less than 50 ft close to shore. Small anchovy worked well and the chartreus coho killer did a number too. A 10 lb. coho and a 15 lb spring were the 2 last fish and rounded out the trip. We didn't see any sockey but maybe next time. Great trip but I'll try to plan for no gill netters and seiners next time.

Most likely the plugs will never work for you due to lack of speed, Spoons be your best bet. Sounds like fun.

Most likely the plugs will never work for you due to lack of speed, Spoons be your best bet. Sounds like fun.
Speed isn’t so much an issue, I can rip in that thing if needed but maintaining 2.5-3.5 knots for trolling only requires a modest effort. I think those Barkley sound chinook are just loving the snack sized herring/anchovy right now. I wonder if they’ll start to be more on the lookout for squid as new waves of fish arrive, that’s when plugs do the best from what I’ve been told.

Speed isn’t so much an issue, I can rip in that thing if needed but maintaining 2.5-3.5 knots for trolling only requires a modest effort. I think those Barkley sound chinook are just loving the snack sized herring/anchovy right now. I wonder if they’ll start to be more on the lookout for squid as new waves of fish arrive, that’s when plugs do the best from what I’ve been told.
When the pilchards where around in large numbers offshore plugs 6-7” is all you needed, haven’t seen them in a while , my first ever double header of 30 plus lbs came from plugs at south bank off ukee

Spent Tuesday/Wednesday doing a short fish with my daughter. On Tuesday we headed out towards Sail Rock but the water was fairly sloppy so we crossed the Broken Group and got out of the chop at Swale. Couple small shakers at Swale after an hour, so we decided to tack across the channel to the Alma Russel Islands and it was a gong show. Picked up about a dozen fish in 30 minutes -- triple double headers. I just kept handing my daughter the rod, she would reel them in and I would reset/steer and net -- totally fun and we were laughing non-stop -- it's how it is supposed to be. Tons of bait on the sounder. We ended up keeping 2 low-teen springs and 2 nice sized coho for our effort. All the action around slack, and as quickly as it came on, it turned off once again just as fast.

Wednesday morning we decided to explore more of that shoreline so put the lines in at the Barkley Sound Lodge and trolled up and down the shoreline exploring the pinnacles. Again, tons of bait and lots of action. We kept one low-teen spring and threw back some nice sized fish.

Here's a little shot of the sounder -- you can see the bait in the water with the larger fish picking them off. Good success with the AP Tackleworks Sandlance spoon,

Attachments

• 20220712_122734.jpg
    20220712_122734.jpg
    321.1 KB · Views: 226
First ever trip to Bam…July 10-13. Quickie. Vernon to Bam 16 hours door to door!

ran out Sunday at 530pm. Gorgeous run out after a bit of chop from Port thru the narrows. Could not believe the nets we had to dodge in the canal…my god we had to stop multiple times with all three of us trying to see where one net ended and the other began.
Fished whittlestone that evening with two doubles of prob barely legals that we threw back. Seabird and swale next day, kept springs in the 7-10lb range, 3 small coho. Lots of action mostly fished shallow, busy on rods - fished spoons exclusively needlefish were tiiiiiny in stomachs. Struck out on hali 8 miles out…next time I’ll remember to bring bait

Next day fished swale before being blown off water, got another 2 in the 7lb range and then got an 18 which was a very welcomed fight!

Bamfield was awesome stayed at McKay Bay - great time even though we didn’t get to fish as much as we would have liked due to the wind. Amazing scenery and a stunning ride back to port with fewer nets to dodge Wednesday morning.

Have a great season out there fellas!

Can anyone confirm that the slot limit includes the inside?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back