2022 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
20 years ago we used to store our boat and trailer at Alberni Automatic Transmission. I just street viewed it and the still have a compound and boats in it. The guy we used to deal with was a nice guy and I remember how clean his shop was. Close to Clutesi Haven boat launch too.

20 years ago we used to store our boat and trailer at Alberni Automatic Transmission. I just street viewed it and the still have a compound and boats in it. The guy we used to deal with was a nice guy and I remember how clean his shop was. Close to Clutesi Haven boat launch too.
Thanks so much for this info, greatly appreciated!

Headed to Bamfield for first time July 10 or 11 - couple questions:
- running canal in the evening, does it ever lay down? I’d love to get out there in the evening and be set up for the morning, but if it typically blows all afternoon and evening, I’ll launch early and head out. Tide is on the flood on the 10th Starting around 4pm at the narrows.
- presumably there is access to all kinds of supplies out in Bamfield? Beer, Convenience items and so forth. Would be nice to travel light.
- truck and trailer parking - I’ve seen trucks parked at the Ford dealer, but is that only necessary if there is no space at Clutesi?
- any “safe” places to hotel with boat in the parking lot if I’m unable to run out in the evening?
Thanks in advance!

- running canal in the evening, does it ever lay down? I’d love to get out there in the evening and be set up for the morning, but if it typically blows all afternoon and evening, I’ll launch early and head out. Tide is on the flood on the 10th Starting around 4pm at the narrows.
- presumably there is access to all kinds of supplies out in Bamfield? Beer, Convenience items and so forth. Would be nice to travel light.
- truck and trailer parking - I’ve seen trucks parked at the Ford dealer, but is that only necessary if there is no space at Clutesi?
- any “safe” places to hotel with boat in the parking lot if I’m unable to run out in the evening?
Thanks in advance!
It does lay down in the evening, If it is sunny and a high pressure ( lots of temperature differential between port and bam) It usually lays down around 8 pm. If it is cloudy and overcast it won't blow up as much and lay down earlier. Lots of people park by the Ford dealer. My friend has had a cabin down in the sound for 20 years and only had one instance of his truck being broken into. That being said times are changing. Been a while since I have been to a store in Bam.

Thanks in advance!
I always park by the Ford dealer. No issues as of yet. There is beer and other goods on the board walk at the mercantile as well as the other side just up from the government docks at the market.

Great guys thanks! Much appreciated. I guess the Clutesi overnight parking is likely full? I’ll check out the Ford dealer situation.

Great guys thanks! Much appreciated. I guess the Clutesi overnight parking is likely full? I’ll check out the Ford dealer situation.
Parking for a trailer at Clutesi anytime in peak summer period is like rare as hens teeth...gota be living right and lucky to find one. Plan on down by the Ford dealership. Speaking of Fords, if you have one use a club to deter the crappies from stealing it.

Well I'm trying this again. Hope to see you guys on July 15th at the Bamfield Lodge. Fingers crossed my old girl can hold together until then. Thought about selling and finding something smaller but I don't want to risk missing this summer.

Well I'm trying this again. Hope to see you guys on July 15th at the Bamfield Lodge. Fingers crossed my old girl can hold together until then. Thought about selling and finding something smaller but I don't want to risk missing this summer.
Weather looks better Friday Saturday so reports should come in then.

Come over early we’ll be on the water June 8-11th and will get you the report!

Weather looks better Friday Saturday so reports should come in then.

Come over early we’ll be on the water June 8-11th and will get you the report!
My summer is already jam packed. I'm staying until the 28th and have family coming up on the 22nd. The first 6 days will be the boys only portion.

I'll see you there! Will be there from July 21st to the 26th.

Thanks in advance!
If you get a motel and head out in the morning be prepared to unload all the stuff off your boat into the rooms. Also get a kicker lock. We had no issues but I did give out beer to a couple homeless guys in exchange for "security". Wake up really early and you can be in bamfield easily by 800am. I have previous GPS tracks ,that helps because it can get real foggy.

To avoid the worry of hotel parking theft, I've slept in Walmart lot and launched super early. There was parking at the launch but no one to pay, so I left money and license plate number in the box.

I will look for you out there. I am also heading out the inlet on the 15th. There are some extreme tides on the 14th and 15th, so heads up on debris in the water.

I will look for you out there. I am also heading out the inlet on the 15th. There are some extreme tides on the 14th and 15th, so heads up on debris in the water.
I'm hauling out at 8:30 AM at French Creek. I figure I won't be launching until at least 10AM. Is that too late? I have the option to haul out on the 14th and could spend the night before I head out the inlet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back