6 hour shift today. Albert head to clover point in the deep looking for coho. Hooked only 5, boxed 3 about 5 or so pounds. Creel guy at Esquimalt anglers said he’d seen very little as he checked incoming boats.
How were the new riggers?

Well thats it for the season, as mentioned in my Sooke post, Oak Bay was on fire this year. Best fishing in this area in 25 years. Sure the avg size was down, but the sheer number of fish was amazing. Ling Cod fishing was amazing. Can't say much for halibut lol. Another year without one, but it will come. I had two on but lost them both Grrr. I am glad Oak bay has come back as it was the dead sea for many many years. I am hoping DFO allows Hatchery Mark fish at least 1 next year before Aug 1. I Believe this is still achievable without to much harm. But it still might be too early in their minds to let this happen because of the Fraser river fish. Super glad about the Cowichan Chinook returns this is amazing and should help the Sidney fishery in the years to come.

Can hardly wait till next year. Cheers,

Cby.

Well thats it for the season, as mentioned in my Sooke post, Oak Bay was on fire this year. Best fishing in this area in 25 years. Sure the avg size was down, but the sheer number of fish was amazing. Ling Cod fishing was amazing. Can't say much for halibut lol. Another year without one, but it will come. I had two on but lost them both Grrr. I am glad Oak bay has come back as it was the dead sea for many many years. I am hoping DFO allows Hatchery Mark fish at least 1 next year before Aug 1. I Believe this is still achievable without to much harm. But it still might be too early in their minds to let this happen because of the Fraser river fish. Super glad about the Cowichan Chinook returns this is amazing and should help the Sidney fishery in the years to come.

Cby.
I don't know where you get your info that it's been the Dead Sea, it's been amazing for the last 10 years, with every year getting better. It has been very consistsnt

Tell that to this guy’s mommy.

View attachment 71255
Atta boy!

Cby.
Thanks for the post. I don't know if I've ever reeled in a spring at Oak bay yet but only fished there a handful of time but I've thought about mooring there, so central. Don't give up on the hali, sharpen your hooks, use at least two on each rig (unless you are fishing a salmon head).

Slow going today. 1 coho about 5 pounds. One bite was it, I saw nothing else happening but there were very few boats out.
I recommend going to Sooke if you want some action.

Got out from 8 to 10 this morning on the waterfront. It was lumpy and breezy. One hit one fish, hatchery coho. 65 ft in 230ft of water. Only about 5 lbs but better than a skunk.

Attachments

• 20211009_083210.jpg
    20211009_083210.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 50
Fished yesterday off Victoria waterfront in my search for coho, tried out towards Constance and zig zagged in. No luck finding any and hardly any boats out there. Picked up a nice Spring but still no sign of Coho.

Back