Fished yesterday off Victoria waterfront in my search for coho, tried out towards Constance and zig zagged in. No luck finding any and hardly any boats out there. Picked up a nice Spring but still no sign of Coho.
Same here. I had that exact same experience, yesterday. I did see some whales on the other side of Constance, though.

Planning one last run tomorrow, weather permitting. What do you think my changes are on the OB flats? Would a guy find some Cohos on the deep side next the shipping lanes? Thinking of having one rigger 60-80 and the other a little deeper.

Thanks.

Not much going on for coho.
You would probably stand a better chance for winter springs.
Is it pretty normal to see Sooke still good for Coho and no sign off Victoria this time of year? Will the Coho pass through the Victoria area or are they already through and the ones off Sooke not transiting this area?

Is it pretty normal to see Sooke still good for Coho and no sign off Victoria this time of year? Will the Coho pass through the Victoria area or are they already through and the ones off Sooke not transiting this area?
It seems the further west the better the coho fishing and can only assume they don't transit the area in numbers.
I have caught only a few in oak bay over the last 25 years.

It seems the further west the better the coho fishing and can only assume they don't transit the area in numbers.
I have caught only a few in oak bay over the last 25 years.
Even out west is slow for coho, yo get any amount on oak bay you have to be lucky and be there on the 1 or 2 days they pass through. Its a long way to go but border bank was ok for 5-6 lb. Springs the other day.
Be careful out there the US fisheries guys watch it real close

I'd still feel confident on catching a few coho off Beecher. I assume from there those ripe fish are making a B-line for their natal streams. Puget Sound? That would put them far South of the Victoria water front. It would be really cool to see data on the routes different runs take.

Don't know how significant it is, but some years a few thousand fish enter Victoria Harbour on their ways to Craigflower and Colquitz crks. Perhaps some to Esquimalt for Millstream Crk. Anyone ever hit those fish out front?

Lots of things affect fishing. Should still be coho around. But full moon was Oct. 20 and we just had some good rain so that will help with slow week. Bet it picks up again next week for a final kick at the cat. These comments might belong in the sooke thread though. Lot more fish hold there than water front. IMO

Out to the mud flats yesterday, nice calm day, slow current, and very slow fishing - one pull for the day and no fish to take home. Prawn fishing was the worst ever - maybe the lack of raw sewage is having an effect.
I wonder about that. I have seen video of the old outlet. Marine life thrived there. Perhaps they should be dumping some of those clean bio-solids in the upper watersheds of some of our lacking west coast streams.

I wonder about that. I have seen video of the old outlet. Marine life thrived there. Perhaps they should be dumping some of those clean bio-solids in the upper watersheds of some of our lacking west coast streams.
I calculated 76k tonnes of dried biomass coming out of CRD every year that's not going into the water anymore. Compare that to the entire herring harvest in BC of about 15k tonnes. I'm guessing fishing off the waterfront will decline noticeably with that huge drop in nutrients. But time will tell.

I calculated 76k tonnes of dried biomass coming out of CRD every year that's not going into the water anymore. Compare that to the entire herring harvest in BC of about 15k tonnes. I'm guessing fishing off the waterfront will decline noticeably with that huge drop in nutrients. But time will tell.

Trolled at Oak Bay flats mid afternoon. Had three hits in 2 hours and was trolling deep with a herring aid spoon. enjoyed the three fights but none to the boat.

Dropped the traps and trolled the flats from noon until 2:30. Had one strike that didn't stick in the first 10 mins. and then nothing. Tons of bait and arches on the sounder off the SW corner of the flats but no interest in my gear. Beautiful out there! Not many crabs but two hard shelled jumbo's for the pot. 30 min wait to pull out. Some real dick-a-rounds at the ramp. Watch out for those exposed bolts at the launch.

Last edited:
Dropped the traps and trolled the flats from noon until 2:30. Had one strike that didn't stick in the first 10 mins. and then nothing. Tons of bait and arches on the sounder off the SW corner of the flats but no interest in my gear. Beautiful out there! Not many crabs but two hard shelled jumbo's for the pot. 30 min wait to pull out. Some real dick-a-rounds at the ramp. Watch out for those exposed bolts at the launch.
Was out Tuesday am, had a good fish on at 8:15 am but lost it. very keen fighter which ran three times. had two other bites but both got off.

Back