I would have much preferred to see a photo of the fish beside the boat AND being released without being taken out of the water. Not much chance survival after the photo shoot.
It is definitely possible to take a quick photo and release a fish. They are holding it horizontal like you do for a release. I disagree with "not much chance of survival after the photo shoot" as I have successfully released many fish after taking a quick snap.

You can totally take a quick pic if the situation allows. Not all fish that are hooked, allow for a release beside the boat. In that case, using a soft release net to net the fish, bring it aboard and have pliers readily available, while you unhook the fish, tell you partners to get a camera ready and wet your hands. Hold by tail & behind pectoral fins, bring fish up, snap snap, get it back in the swim. I won’t net a fish unless I have to, and won’t let anyone release a fish who doesn’t know how. My boat my rules.

It is definitely possible to take a quick photo and release a fish. They are holding it horizontal like you do for a release. I disagree with "not much chance of survival after the photo shoot" as I have successfully released many fish after taking a quick snap.
I agree, no harm in handling fish at all if done right. I am sure we all have witnessed salmon with massive scars and injuries from seals. These fish are resilient, just dont drop them and knock em out . Lack of oxygen is the killer, so make it quick.

The fish picture/handling debate has been had may times on this site and, if you so choose, you can search and find the content. The latest one in this thread is now over, as there won't be a further derail. There are still fish to be caught and reports to be made. Enjoy.

Lots of Springs being cleaned at our ramp. Some guys are only out for an hour and back in with nice fish. Get out there!

Really slow off Macauley today. Fished 9:30 to 1:30. Never got a bite. Never saw a net. Talked to one boat that said they got a fish.

After work fish, Flats, Beauty Night. 2 Hours, 5 springs, 4 between 5-7 lbs all released. Then BAM back side rod goes off. Buried in the water, Holy Cow, thought it was over 25 plus for sure. Turned out to be a perfect slot fish 80cm bang on, red, Hatchery 15 lbs. Great fight. Excellent 2 hour venture.

Out front today with a 7am start. 4-5 boats running between flemming and the break water. Not much to see and a little bumpy for the 16.5. Ran out to Albert Head to be out of the wind and nothing happening there??? Very little bait to be seen. Hot and cold I guess. I did snag a crab trap in 150' of water and 65' on the downrigger. It had been down for likely a couple years. I left a message on the number written on the old float. Last name Frank, I think.
Good luck out there...

Flats this morning. Lots of boats. One 4# wild coho released and one better fish lost. Not much bait or fish on the sounder. Only saw one other fish landed. Hmmm, where to try tommorrow?

Hi Guys,

Quick question - my Dad isn't doing that well and has a condo in Oak Bay ... I am flying up next week to see him ... do you think there is a charter that would take us out of Oak Bay ... and would there be a reasonable chance of catching anything from there?

Appreciate the comments.

Northern

Flats this morning. Lots of boats. One 4# wild coho released and one better fish lost. Not much bait or fish on the sounder. Only saw one other fish landed. Hmmm, where to try tommorrow?
There was a small fleet of boats off clover point this morning… maybe some action there? Whales went through the area along the shore around 9-10am

Funny, I had a 5lb hatch coho on the flats.
otherwise it was dead

Hi Guys,

Quick question - my Dad isn't doing that well and has a condo in Oak Bay ... I am flying up next week to see him ... do you think there is a charter that would take us out of Oak Bay ... and would there be a reasonable chance of catching anything from there?

Appreciate the comments.

Northern
I would try no bananas. I think they still run from oak bay.
There’s no guarantee with fishing but the pros are your best bet and usually get you into something fun!
even if you don’t catch a trophy, the experience will be something you will not regret. Great chance to bond with your dad.
Best of luck my friend.

Back