quick update on Oak Bay, was out on Tuesday and hooked/lost a nice spring on the flats. On the way in, my friend advised me that on Monday he caught and kept two pinks off the south end of Trial Island. He did not provide any more details. Same fellow caught and released two springs on the OB flats on Monday too.
I did well on Pinks two years ago just following a line between the S. end of Trial and Discover Islands. 40 pulls and a 1 lb slip weight. No Banana's spoon. May give it a shot this weekend. Probably not as productive as off Sooke but not bad if they're there.

Went out to do some test fishing in and around Oak Bay just to see what shaking as Sooke has been good. The fish are around. Tried Ten Mile Point for about 2 Hours after ling cod fishing. Got 4 nice fish all in the 9-14 lbs 3 were hatchery and 1 wild, also had a huge pound and gone. Tried flats and got 3 more fish a bit smaller 8-10lbs but good spunky fish. 2 hours on flats, then was moving over to the Gap, but noticed a ton of bait and birds out Discovery way, dropped the lines high, pick up a couple under sized Lings, one I thought was a salmon as it was just under 62cm. Kept trolling Bam double header, One hit and gone the other stuck beauty 14lb hatchery released. Never got to the Gap as my time was up. But I am sure they were there as well.

Went out to do some test fishing in and around Oak Bay just to see what shaking as Sooke has been good. The fish are around. Tried Ten Mile Point for about 2 Hours after ling cod fishing. Got 4 nice fish all in the 9-14 lbs 3 were hatchery and 1 wild, also had a huge pound and gone. Tried flats and got 3 more fish a bit smaller 8-10lbs but good spunky fish. 2 hours on flats, then was moving over to the Gap, but noticed a ton of bait and birds out Discovery way, dropped the lines high, pick up a couple under sized Lings, one I thought was a salmon as it was just under 62cm. Kept trolling Bam double header, One hit and gone the other stuck beauty 14lb hatchery released. Never got to the Gap as my time was up. But I am sure they were there as well.
thanks for the report, on Saturday I was in 200 feet of water east of Trial Island LIghthouse. Had 7 hits, 3 pinks spit the hook near the boat and 4 got off early on. Fished from 730 to 1130 am on August 17th. Observed two fellow in a tin boat who said they had luck with catch and release Chinooks and also saw a white boat with a double header, likely springs as they were trolling slowly.

thanks for the report, on Saturday I was in 200 feet of water east of Trial Island LIghthouse. Had 7 hits, 3 pinks spit the hook near the boat and 4 got off early on. Fished from 730 to 1130 am on August 17th. Observed two fellow in a tin boat who said they had luck with catch and release Chinooks and also saw a white boat with a double header, likely springs as they were trolling slowly.
I was the tin boat. Day started watching orcas stalk the reefs in front of OB marina and then they played around a bit. Trolled starting in 60' feet of water just past Greater Chain and headed South. 5 clipped springs , 8-12 lbs plus one unclipped coho and a couple of shakers. Best fishing for us was at 90' in 150' of water. Salmon seemed stratified around there. Herring Aide and No Bananas with dummy flasher. Tried jigging for a bit but saw the Grady double up so we switched back.:) Water got too rough for us. Crabbing really sucked. But a great morning!

Back on the halibut again!

We left the dock at 6 am, headed to Sooke to see if we could grab a few pink or hatch coho (heads) for halibut bait, due to the dogs loving my hearing too much. Managed to get a double header wild coho in the first 5 minutes. action was non stop for the morning. We slipped into to cove behind secretary looking for a spring, and we weren’t disappointed. Managed to bring about a 20-22 lb beside the boat and released it. (Photo taken from a video)

At about 9:30 we headed back to the mud flats to do some halibut fishing. After going through about 8 dogs, the rod went off bigly, but dam, didn’t stick. About 1/2 hour later, as the wind was picking up, which gave some great action on the lines, we were finally rewarded, with my kids (not so kid-ish any more) first halibut 80 cm. Wind was picking up, so we packed up, off the water around 1:30.

Attachments

• 81E0F90A-C96A-4732-B0C3-3BEBFA42DBFF.jpeg
    81E0F90A-C96A-4732-B0C3-3BEBFA42DBFF.jpeg
    213.7 KB · Views: 161
  • 6838A8AD-3AF7-4947-907B-1659A7F41298.jpeg
    6838A8AD-3AF7-4947-907B-1659A7F41298.jpeg
    99.2 KB · Views: 155
I fished Oak Bay today. I was able to jig up a nice ling on a jig head. I also went to 10 mile point to try for springs. I had hooked a couple a week ago so I figured that I would try my luck again. I marked a lot of bait and saw quite a few marks but couldn't hook one today. I got my limit of 4 dungees.

Attachments

• Resized_20210717_191809.jpg
    Resized_20210717_191809.jpg
    468.3 KB · Views: 88
Got out this morning for a couple of hours off 10-mile point. We hooked into 5 springs from about 35 cm to 80 and had a great time. We were looking for pinks, but nothing doing today. Can't wait for August 1, though. Great calm water, sun shining, light breeze, and terrific time.

Got out this morning for a couple of hours off 10-mile point. We hooked into 5 springs from about 35 cm to 80 and had a great time. We were looking for pinks, but nothing doing today. Can't wait for August 1, though. Great calm water, sun shining, light breeze, and terrific time.
Got out for a few hours Tuesday am. Had 5 pink bites but nothing stuck. Fellow at Trotac recommended going to bigger hook so will try that for next trip. Pinks are definitely in the area directly to the west of the lighthouse.

Got out for a few hours Tuesday am. Had 5 pink bites but nothing stuck. Fellow at Trotac recommended going to bigger hook so will try that for next trip. Pinks are definitely in the area directly to the west of the lighthouse.
Hi Randy M, do you mean west of the Discovery island lighthouse?

Hi Randy M, do you mean west of the Discovery island lighthouse?
Was trolling for Pinks at different depths to the east of the Trial Island Lighthouse. Had bites between the lighthouse and halfway to Discovery Island. On thursday, I trolled for several hours in the morning and got one hatchery coho for my efforts. May go again Saturday am and will have one rod focussed on coho and one for pinks. Using lures.

Was trolling for Pinks at different depths to the east of the Trial Island Lighthouse. Had bites between the lighthouse and halfway to Discovery Island. On thursday, I trolled for several hours in the morning and got one hatchery coho for my efforts. May go again Saturday am and will have one rod focussed on coho and one for pinks. Using lures.
That's great, thank you! This is my first year fishing for salmon. I'm going to give the flats a try on Saturday. Maybe I'll see you out there.

Gave the flats a couple of hours this morning. Two 5-8# Springs and a small unclipped coho. Missed a couple of hits. Went out and gave pinks an hour but no sign of any. Cattle Pt's second boat ramp is blocked and closed.

Back