Was fishing yesterday constance bank. Got one bite and that's it. for the whole day. I found that dariki chart for Trial Island wasn't precise. When it expected to be slack tide was already steadily increasing.
Just want to ask is it only me not getting luck with hali? How was hali fishing on 18 Apr for those who managed to get out? Is it end of hali season around Victoria?

Was fishing yesterday constance bank. Got one bite and that's it. for the whole day. I found that dariki chart for Trial Island wasn't precise. When it expected to be slack tide was already steadily increasing.
Just want to ask is it only me not getting luck with hali? How was hali fishing on 18 Apr for those who managed to get out? Is it end of hali season around Victoria?
There's always current to think about too. Looking on Navionics there was a big swing throughout the day and looks like you would have not got a break as opposed to the current overnight which was super gradual.

I think dariki is pretty darn good......keep in mind you aren’t exactly at trial out at Connie. I did a 2 hr halibut anchor on Saturday early while traps soaked. My spot was a parking lot so tried a bit shallower. Zero action. Halibut isn’t over by any means.....but the dogs will move in soon

Those things must have venom, sure hurts for about 20mins.
Yes they do. You have to treat getting spiked very carefully. Really watch that it doesn't get infected. I know someone who got spiked in the thumb and developed necrotizing fasciitis. They had to have the end of the thumb amputated. Maybe just super bad luck, but those spikes freak me out!

I read currents as early window. As early as you get up till about 10:30 and not ideal. So I chose sleep and yard work to fish another day.

Got out today and drifted around in the mud hole 10am-3pm. Had 1 hit that didn’t make it up to the boat and the only other hit 1:45 pm 285ft that did make it up to meet the harpoon. 102 cm. We lost our prawn traps last Friday, yellow float with name Fred clearly marked if anyone sees it pls let me know. Tks

Attachments

• 3B690276-D422-4DB2-8692-41D32A143CCA.jpeg
    3B690276-D422-4DB2-8692-41D32A143CCA.jpeg
    169 KB · Views: 127
Got out today and drifted around in the mud hole 10am-3pm. Had 1 hit that didn’t make it up to the boat and the only other hit 1:45 pm 285ft that did make it up to meet the harpoon. 102 cm. We lost our prawn traps last Friday, yellow float with name Fred clearly marked if anyone sees it pls let me know. Tks
Thanks for the report! Heading out tomorrow. Would you define the mud hole between Constance Bank and Albert Head?

Between Pedder and Constanct is all called the mud hole. We had been fishing off AlbertHead in 265ft with not much luck lately so went out a bit further to 300 ft today which put us in the freighter lane. We didn’t anchor so if we needed to move (not one freighter today) we could. The currents and tides never make any sense out there and things seem to move in different directions probably because of the different reefs and banks out there. Tide was going out but our drift pushed us back towards esq., currents were slow but did pick up at 3pm today. Spreader bars 2lb ball big squids scent and a mackerel lightly bouncing bottom and adjusting as depth was shallowing up. I think that bite came at 290ft . We had been skunked the last 6 times out so we were due. There were about 7 boats anchored up out there but things looked quiet. Creel guy at Fleming said it was slow with boats coming in with no luv. Good luck out there, my Hali fettuccini was awesome tonight ;-)

Picked up a chicken yesterday on the flats out of Pedder Bay but not a nibble for us today. A friend of mine, out of Pedder as well, picked up a 35lber today, closer to Constance.

I was out Tuesday and I think I saw your float off William Head, Yellow float with another small one attached to it (red if I remember correctly) I took a quick look at it but there was a boat that was sitting nearby so I assumed it was its owner keeping a close eye on it. If I had to guess it was in about 300 feet of water.

Yesterday we spent 4 hours on the mud flats off the entrance to Pedder Bay, along with 10 other boats, and did our part for conservation. Not a bite, not a sniff, not a dog. At the end we though out the pristine piece of herring as it must have been broken in ways we couldn't see. Damn fine day though, still beats working.

Likewise.
Great day, but still unable to snag my first halibut.
Even the crab traps didn’t produce anything of size.
Thanks for the intel Original...will keep trying!

Gave the halibut another solid try today, 6 hours on the hook pounded relentlessly by the stiff west wind. Broke off the zap straps on the hook and had to re-anchor and started to wonder if there wasn't something better to do on a day off of work. But then I squeaked out a chicken at very end of the day and the universe seemed at balance again.

was out off pedder Thursday and Friday.

Had Thursday off and went solo.

Thursday was beautiful and clam. Had a nice bbq on my mini (.50 cal ammo box) home made grill.
IMG_20210422_122914303_HDR.jpg
Got one (12lb) on a circle hook with salmon belly.

Friday was bad weather a d a sh*t show.
IMG_20210423_115102513.jpg
Wind and wave much higher then predicted.

Forgot a rod and gear in the friend's truck. Ended up using a salmon rod and got one on that using large squid tentacles from fairway (19lbs)
IMG_20210423_111548197~3.jpg
Overall some nice hali in the fridge and for dinner.

Only seen smaller ones caught so I would recommend not using salmon heads yet.

Last edited:
Tried for Hali Saturday. Boring and nothing. Went for a quick outing for springs today. Three in pretty short order. Biggest about 12#. They are out there.
Crabbing OK. Kept a few good ones but thru back a couple of soft shelled monsters.

Attachments

• IMG_20210425_174236.jpg
    IMG_20210425_174236.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Has anyone fished Constance yet? Sunday is looking decent for hali.
My current tables show good tides up
to Friday of this week for hali. Dont think I would even attempt Friday's currents out on the bank. Sunday looks really sporty with stronger currents for constance for hali.

Any one else have thoughts?

Back