Interesting! When and where did you catch the Sooke Net Pen spring? I had a hit too and it was from Vic waterfront in early Aug which I thought was surprisingly early for a Sooke/Nitinat salmon there.

Both my Sooke net pen came from fish caught in front of the breakwater in the first week of September. I believe they where both 13-14 lbs

Hi Guys,

Please give some tips on picking right conditions for Constance bank hali fishing.

I was there with guide once. Now all set and ready to go with all propper gear.

Tried to come on 3 Apr but it was pretty strong current.

For me good weather when waves no more than 0.2-0.3 m and light wind.

I reffered to this app and expected slack to be around 3-4 PM: WhatsApp Image 2021-04-07 at 1.43.43 PM.jpeg

But actual current situation was close to this picture: http://www.dairiki.org/tides/daily.php/trial/2021-04-03 3-4 PM the current was pretty strong about 5-6 kmh.

The main question what current speed is good for hali fishing? Which source for currents is source of true?

Thanks.

Hi Guys,

Please give some tips on picking right conditions for Constance bank hali fishing.

I reffered to this app and expected slack to be around 3-4 PM: View attachment 64087

But actual current situation was close to this picture: http://www.dairiki.org/tides/daily.php/trial/2021-04-03 3-4 PM the current was pretty strong about 5-6 kmh.

The main question what current speed is good for hali fishing? Which source for currents is source of true?

Thanks.
Slack to 1 knots

Hi Guys,

There are lots of good current charts. Look them up on Google.
But remember. Newby halibut fisherman on anchor with little or no experience can spells disaster in any current over .75 of a knot.
The current can go from .5 knot to 1.5 in a matter of minutes.
Be very carefull as the charts don't always reflect accurate speed on the exact spot you are anchored!

But remember. Newby halibut fisherman on anchor with little or no experience can spells disaster in any current over .75 of a knot.
Be very carefull as the charts don't always reflect accurate speed on the exact spot you are anchored!
This is why I will never catch a halibut.

Yes you are right, it was pretty scary. It was flat calm day and the anchor system was ready to be cut if something goes wrong. Also I was carrying SPOT on my PFD's shoulder just in case...

The first time I tried halibut anchoring I went out to the 27 fathom reef in my old 17 footer and threw the newly rigged anchor over, bombs away. A beautiful flat calm day and I thought it was odd there wasn't a single boat out there. The anchor line didn't get tight in a hurry, so it seemed like a light current--but unknown to me the anchor was sliding across the reef top 200 feet down at the same speed as the boat on the surface. When the hook caught hold that scotsman just plunged underwater out of sight and the line angle to my cleat started going down at a scary speed and the boat starting pulling over. I had to cut the rope, there wasn't time to try and get it off the cleat. Turns out I had picked peak ebb flow that month to throw my first anchor. Anybody reading this new to anchoring don't be as dumb as me. I still get a sketchy feeling to this day when I'm on the hook and the tide starts picking up.

With Hali being the topic,,,,, I was out this past Monday and on the hook from 6:30 to 11:30 am. Not a nibble of anything. Lots of boats out that day but no reports of anything when I got back at the dock. Not much chatter on the radio either so don't know if many folks hooked up. I had 3 chickens in 3 trips during the last 2 weeks of March so that was great for me as we normally average 1 for every 4-5 trips.

With respect to anchoring, I try to be fairly cautious and pick my days but I "always" get an uneasy feeling when I go to pull the hook.

I am relatively inexperienced with anchoring for halibut compared to some members on this site. I went out 10 + times with a fellow that was very experienced and learned as much as I could. Best advice he gave me was ALWAYS BE READY TO CUT THE BOW TO STERN LINE !! I use either dairiki or Navionics CURRENTS to plan what are good / safe days ahead of time. I was also told to add 1 knot for anchoring around the race passage area.

ALL THE ADVICE ABOUT RESEARCH AND PLANNING AHEAD IS WELL INTENTIONED.

Like has been mentioned anchoring incorrectly or in the wrong place at the wrong time is just a accident waiting to happen, and things happen quick !!

I would strongly recommend going out with a guide or someone with experience anchoring for Hali in the areas you plan to target to learn safe techniques before heading out by yourself.

When you get to the spot you want to anchor and there's no one else there to judge the direction or strength of the current drift for 5 minutes or so with "Tracks" on your chart.You can look at your chart and it will tell you your speed over ground and you'll know the direction you'll hang in the current.If your speed is over a knot it might be best to drift for 1/2 an hour and try again before anchoring on a dropping current.

Hi Guys,

I reffered to this app and expected slack to be around 3-4 PM: View attachment 64087

Thanks.
You need to download the navionics app for your phone. It is a gps but also has the currents on it. There is a current station beside Constance bank

I’ll get there. I just need to go out with some veterans when Covid is behind us.
I really want to soak my mint condition interior in blood!
Stizzla I’d be happy to take you out with me. I’ve taught a lot of people how to catch halibut and do it safely I’m getting 1st vaccination on the 27th

Did a quick troll of the flats in the hot sun while the crab tracks soaked. Released a mid teen spring beside the boat and lost another, both on herring aide spoons. Had the place almost entirely to myself. Tried a near in halibut spot, thought I had a good one but after a struggle it turned out to be a big rock fish snagged in the side. Got a painful quilling in the knuckle hooking it on the decending device. Those things must have venom, sure hurts for about 20mins.
Two crab traps for two hours: 43 dungeness, 6 rock crabs. Seriously! Mostly under but kept my 4 good ones. Explains why I have come back to a baitless, empty trap after a long soak.

Back