2021 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Are they the ones out in approx 50-60 feet of water?

Probably in that depth range or a bit more shallow. They are quite tall and you can't miss them, they are the only markers along Spanish Banks until you get to the bell.

If you take a drive along Spanish Banks it will be very evident as to what/where they are.

Finding bait around the bell buoy right now. Good bit of action with 1 barely legal in the box and 5 or 6 hits that didn’t take. 120’ on rigger with skinny g’s and salty dawg and lemon lime flashers.

Attachments

• 9675635C-2A50-41FE-B13A-6C84415EA132.jpeg
    9675635C-2A50-41FE-B13A-6C84415EA132.jpeg
    189 KB · Views: 70
Finding bait around the bell buoy right now. Good bit of action with 1 barely legal in the box and 5 or 6 hits that didn’t take. 120’ on rigger with skinny g’s and salty dawg and lemon lime
Prawn traps dusted off as the stock are getting more populated now. This was about 3 hrs. Same in the second trap. A few females with eggs safely returned for next time.

Attachments

• 30F08CC1-8168-493F-981B-2F00E81C0F86.jpeg
    30F08CC1-8168-493F-981B-2F00E81C0F86.jpeg
    295 KB · Views: 219
1st mile marker is just west of Jericho sailing club. 2nd Mile Marker is you guessed it one mile west of that. And the Bell Buoy could be consider the 3rd mile Marker. In a straight line from the 1st to 2nd market the shallows bulge out a bit and you’ll see boats beach themselves there every summer. 2nd mile marker to Bell Buoy holds a lot of bait due to currents and in the summer a lot of salmon trying to sniff their way into the Fraser. The currents will also hold a lot of fish in the freighters. On a windless day when you see the freighters pointing in different directions it’s a good day to be out.

Is it normal for there to be so many suspended fish this time of year? I thought winter fishing was almost always on the bottom?
I’m a little surprised by this also but follow the bait. The bait ranged from the bottom to 50’ off the bottom. I was told a long time ago that the bait and thus the salmon are on the bottom in the winter because of the better visibility and the desire to hide. Bait from salmon. Salmon from seals. There seems to be a lot more bait in the harbour today than years ago. Which leads to more salmon and fewer hungry seals. Haven’t been sealed in October / Nov the last 2 years even though there lots of seals around. So they are not finding it difficult to feed.

contrary to the lure only in winter discussions, good to know.
I don't think it's lure only. More so that you don't "need" bait so why get smelly fingers. The summer Fraser is, for the majority, a "bait only" fishery.

even the Bon Chovy reports for our area are suggesting lures, I will try both next time I am out.
An anchovy will always be better than a spoon imitating an anchovy, but when fishing bottom at 150' plus I would rather have a spoon than worry about the roll or a missing anchovy tail that just fed an 8" flounder. I always add scent to my spoons and hootchies. I think that helps entice a few extra bites.

An anchovy will always be better than a spoon imitating an anchovy, but when fishing bottom at 150' plus I would rather have a spoon than worry about the roll or a missing anchovy tail that just fed an 8" flounder. I always add scent to my spoons and hootchies. I think that helps entice a few extra bites.
If they are open to retention i always start my day with anchovy on one side

even the Bon Chovy reports for our area are suggesting lures, I will try both next time I am out.
Guides such as Bon Chovy are sponsored by companies like Gibbs who hand over buckets full of lures. Companies like Gibbs benefit everytime guides like Bon Chovy post reports showing success on their lures. Then guys like us run out to our favorite tackle shop to stock up on those “must have” lures. There’s no mention of presentation, tides or location in any of those reports.

Back