2021 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Had some luck last October for feeders in the harbour so figured I would try for a bit after getting nothing but seaweed at the south arm trying for chums. While I’m setting up the gear I tell my friend to keep an eye open for traps - for like the 20th time that day. In any case next thing is know both riggers snagged on something and it’s a **** show. Commercial or FN string trap with a small rec float that nobody saw. Miraculously didn’t lose any gear. But aside from the crab trap skunked again. I’m starting to think an Orca pissed all over my gear.

Attachments

• 929CAEF3-A964-435E-A769-574C0571992C.jpeg
    929CAEF3-A964-435E-A769-574C0571992C.jpeg
    216.5 KB · Views: 145
Had some luck last October for feeders in the harbour so figured I would try for a bit after getting nothing but seaweed at the south arm trying for chums. While I’m setting up the gear I tell my friend to keep an eye open for traps - for like the 20th time that day. In any case next thing is know both riggers snagged on something and it’s a **** show. Commercial or FN string trap with a small rec float that nobody saw. Miraculously didn’t lose any gear. But aside from the crab trap skunked again. I’m starting to think an Orca pissed all over my gear.
Did you get any crab?

Did you get any crab?
Nope. It was a string line that couldn’t be lifted by hand. At first I thought it was a ghost trap and was getting ready to call it in but then when we finally and barely got the tangled gear up there was a small float marked with a number. If we had snagged the trap line instead of the float line it would have been bye bye gear time.

I've tried prawning by passage island but for some reason, this past year really hasn't produced anywhere near as much as prior years. Is anyone else noticing the same, and if so, where are people prawning in local waters these days? Thanks in advance, fellas.

I've tried prawning by passage island but for some reason, this past year really hasn't produced anywhere near as much as prior years. Is anyone else noticing the same, and if so, where are people prawning in local waters these days? Thanks in advance, fellas.
I imagine the response to this will be "we prawn in the ocean". But hey if someone wants to drop some coordinates I wouldn't hate it.

Anyone else see the two huge Orcas at Ambleside today? They played around at the mouth of the Capilano for quite a while.

Today we started at Tunstall, from 730-1030 we got nothing. Then we hit Hutt Island from 1045-1145. Nothing. Then grace until 200, nothing. Then Ambleside until the killer whales came. We got nothing. Hutt had the most bait. It's nice to hit the winter spots. Bit more action would be nice.

Today we started at Tunstall, from 730-1030 we got nothing. Then we hit Hutt Island from 1045-1145. Nothing. Then grace until 200, nothing. Then Ambleside until the killer whales came. We got nothing. Hutt had the most bait. It's nice to hit the winter spots. Bit more action would be nice.
were u marking much for fish at any of those spots?

I've been on the water here my whole life and have never seen more Orcas and dolphins in our local waters.
Yeah but be careful how you’re saying it. ;)
The ENGOs may claim success for their fishing closure agenda.
Unfortunately, this is their cash cow and they’re going to milk it for as long as the puppet master is in the office.

the abundance of bait in our local waters never gets mentioned in news and that’s the result of a lot of volunteer hours that have been put into reducing pollutants and increasing the health of the echo system. Those volunteers never look for government support / special funding and most of them are diehard fishermen and women.
sorry- back to fishing reports…

Back